Out of interest: drum purity

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

I don't own one, but I've heard a lot of criticism about the snare sounds. I can't comment on it personally and it's basically the only words I've heard against it, but might be worth making sure you dig the snares before making a purchase.

There's no cowbell sound on the Arturia Drum Brute. :|

Which means no cover versions of 'Don't Fear the Reaper'.

That in itself would be enough for me to give it the swerve. :p

I'm not much of a fan of drum machines personally,the problem for me is drum machine sounds have a tendency to become dated pretty quickly.

I guess it all depends on what style of music you want to make but I would only ever buy a standalone drum box if it also had the ability to sample in other sounds I could then programme patterns with .

There's no cowbell sound on the Arturia Drum Brute. :|

Which means no cover versions of 'Don't Fear the Reaper'.

That in itself would be enough for me to give it the swerve. :p

I'm not much of a fan of drum machines personally,the problem for me is drum machine sounds have a tendency to become dated pretty quickly.

I guess it all depends on what style of music you want to make but I would only ever buy a standalone drum box if it also had the ability to sample in other sounds I could then programme patterns with .

I bought an Oberheim DX a while back. I mostly use it to make quick drum beats to scratch over (... mostly). It's actually fun as hell. But your point is right. Generally, you're stuck with the sounds and after a while it's just like "all this shit sounds the same!". I know that, with the Oberheims, you CAN sample your own sounds, but you need and EPROM burner.

• Like 1

Analogue drum machines suck live, they are great for sampling, beyond that you can't beat the Alesis SR18, The Akai XR20 or the Roland DR880, the Zoom Streetbox has some nice sounds but is rare as rocking horse shit nowadays.

Q)what's got 3 legs and an asshole ?

A) a drumstool .. :p

I had an Alesis SR-16 drum machine for a while in the early 90's which had some ok sounds on it but i never really used it much tbh although a couple of my mates borrowed it a few times and managed to get some decent results from it for a demo they were recording at the time.

It was a velocity sensitive machine and all the sounds were sampled and could be pitched +/-3% if I remember it correctly but it lacked both the punchiness and warmth I was looking for and I became bored of it pretty quickly

if I had been making 1980s sounding power ballads it would have been perfect but obviously I wasn't,so i ended up selling it to the guitarist from The Blue Aeroplanes.

I was surprised to see a while back that the SR 16 is still being manufactured and is really popular ,which is a heck of an achievement for a drum machine that was first released in 1990.

After made drumbeats in all the ways possible my most productive ones are loop sample based. Lately blocswave have the most balanced workflow but also beathwak2 (for mpc style) or reSlice for... slicing :3

Another approach between them and just record a real drums is GarageBand/logic drummer plug. Obviously is not recommended for purist of swing and ultraediting madness. Just for some control over regular sample libraries (which I often use as is because I'm lazy and punk)

:V