Out of interest: drum purity

Guest petesasqwax

I always start by finding a record I want to sample, looping the bit I like and then sampling some drums that go well with the track. I then spend ages rearranging the drums and the sample until I get something I like and then I start processing and EQing.

When I arrive at something that sounds good (a rare occurrence), I then play it and then mute the bass line so it's just the drums and the track, or mute the track so it's just drums and bass, to see how it sounds. It's at this stage that I realise my drums sound awful.

I then make an attempt to rescue it, fail, give up and cut over Turrets.

• Like 2

Haha! Man, if all the tracks of yours I've heard are anything to go by, I strongly dispute that!

Ah, no. You've only heard my scratch stuff where I use drums from scratch records that have been processed using analogue kit. That's different. I'm talking about my hip hop beats.

Thanks tho :)

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

Man, honestly - I'm far from any kind of super producer but if there's anything I can do to help you get your drums to a place you're more happy with, just give me a shout

Broma - ah, man, I've layered 2 and 3 hits together so many times, too. It's the perfect workaround if you want a particular character to your hits but you can't find it in one sound. The classic way I've always done is using the attack of an organic kick and then cutting the tail off it and replacing that with an 808. It retains that dusty quality whilst giving it a kind of throb that beefs up everything. When I discovered how to tune 808s into the same key as my bassline, I feel like that properly made them all take off and sit together like they should do. That's a damn nice thing to say about my drums, dude! I generally run them through a combination of a few main things. There's an old 32-bit VST effect called Otium Sonitex which I have to use through jBridger because I have 64-bit Ableton. I use that an obscene amount. Also Decimort is excellent. For the Axe drums I processed them in Maschine first (the first time I've used it) and used the vintage sampler settings (which are the same in Battery 4) - the MP60 at 12 bits and around 22 khz (which is the same settings I tend to use both in Sonitex and Decimort). Sonitex has some vinyl wear options which can do nice things to drums, likewise the basic EQ in there works well for me. Other than that, it's all about tape sims. Waves have a couple of Eddie Kramer models which are both excellent, but there are loads of options that I like - Tone Boosters Reel Bus, u-He Satin etc. Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the tips man. You are the master of grit! I have u-He Satin so will play around with it some more. Good call on Decimort too. I've been using a lot, but not on drums. Doh!

On the tape sims tip, I've been rinsing this bad boy. It's a free Ableton plugin chain by Legowelt. http://www.pacificmi...APE STATION.adg

Guest petesasqwax

Ooof - much obliged! I have to admit, I've never used any of the built-in effects in Ableton at all, as ridiculous as that sounds! I came across this which might be of interest - a few people on Gearslutz were attempting to capture the Dr. Sample Vinyl Sim effect:

http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/Lauk2ko7/file.html

Ah, mate - Decimort is the god of drums! It took me ages to get past the Sonitex, but as much as I was unsure at first, I think Decimort is actually better - ESPECIALLY on drums :)

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I have to admit, I don't remember hearing the bit crush in isolation, just with the ring mod, but I liked what I heard.

Every time you refer to the MPC I fucking want another one even more than I did already! I made an agreement with my wife not to make any significant purchases for the first 6 months of the year in order to get the most out of the things I already have... but ebay watch list is full of 1000s and I've already bid on a couple of them...

Might have to have a in depth mess about sometime with both the ring mod and bit crush Pete, I've only spent a few seconds on each and was just meh.. next :((

Get one mate ;) Hopefully once the new MPC X and Live drop there will be an influx of cheap 1000 and 2500 :d .......... Got my eye on a 4000 ;)

Guest petesasqwax

Haha! That's it exactly, mate - I'm keeping my eye on eBay as soon as those new efforts drop. I'll have a 1000 and a 2500 for starters ;)

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

All of the above really man. I prefer to play things on pads, but I've done a load of manual placement and loop slicing. Quantising, not so much. I generally will on a hihat - or rather I'll do it on note repeat, which equates to the same thing.

I do all my drums on just the sampler pads and will fill up a bank of kicks ,snares and rolls from the break im using and then play around with the different combinations until I get the groove sounding how I want it and then I just use re-sampling to combine it all to a single pad that I can either set to loop or have as a one shot drumtrack for the entire tune...

If I need to add any extra crunch to the break I just use the filter and drive effect on the Sp 404 and re-sample it again.

its a very simple process but it works for me just fine

• Like 2

I usually tend to make a complete drumtrack by re-sampling and combining it all to the single pad and then add the E.Q. afterwards Joe, although for the track ive just finished this week the drumtrack was built up piecemeal and I added the E.Q. as I went along.

The nice thing with the 404 is you can change over to the other on board FX like the delays or whatever and carry on bashing out the arrangements of your samples and you can then go back to the filter and drive function that i use primarily for beatmaking and the E.Q. settings are the same as where you left them at, which is obviously a massive help otherwise youd probably have to spend ages trying to recapture the particular sound you've already achieved.

And yes I agree, you absolutely do need some pads dude,get some nice phat squashy ones and increase your drum fun factor !

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

To be honest JB, quantize is always off on my MPC, I use pads for the samples, bass, vocals etc but for drums it's two words "Grid Edit"

I do all sorts with drums, no set method at all.

Very occasionally I take a straight loop, more often I slice the loop across the pads the old mpc way of just dividing a break into equal slices (16th, 8th or 1/4 notes) and then play my own patterns - the slices are quantized but the slices don't perfectly sit on drum transients so that with the order you play them makes the groove/swing. As does the tempo at which the slices are replayed. Probably the method I use most because I leant on a mpc 2kXL and 'slice sound' was like it's big new thing.

I make plenty with individual drum hit beats too. Some processed together, others individually too with some common/group effects to tie stuff together. With one shots it's much easier to control the sonics but harder work to find a nice groove sometimes. I often reinforce chopped breaks with single hits rich in sonics lacking in a break and some one shot beats, I sometimes lace with a bit of a chopped break for swing.

I never hard quantize with one shots, except often the first beat of each bar to hold it together. I rare ever touch mechanised swing settings as I prefer the human groove, either mine or the original drummer's preserved to some degree though slicing techniques. Also Maschine's 50% and subsequent nudge function is a godsend for tightening up my slop! That's not some elitist bullshit either, I just find it easier to play drums to a sample than fiddle with swing settings and wondering if I'm hearing things.

I've fooled with rex files a bit recently too, again I always play with timing and patterns a bit though.

Overall, regard less of how I made a beat, what aim for is often the same thing... a fairly tight, break based drum with a nice groove to it. It's funny, I've made lots of different drums different ways and some have been simple and others have taken so much work, but the end result always sounds much the same and isn't that flashy or with the final sonics that sound like that much went into it.

• Like 2

I do all of my drum programming through my Native American Indian spirit guide who speaks to me in my dreams like the one in that shitty Doors movie starring Val Kilmer..

He suggests certain breakbeats I might enjoy using and how to apply bitcrushing the most effectively.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Funny, you should post this topic. I'm in the market for a new drum machine - getting sick of my samples and want something I can gig with - and just read this Arturia DrumBrute review. the review is quite honest about what they like and don't like, but it seems to have a lot of bang for the buck for a real analog drum machine. Having a 909 & 808 kick in one box is pretty awesome. Does anyone here own it? Impressions?