Record cleaners ?

Depends on budget, can't really do any better than a Moth record cleaning machine, serious bucks tho £500 +, it used to be poss to buy the Moth in kit format where you basically jus had to build the wooden box it sits in, not sure if there still available but kits were around £200 i think.

Best cheap option IMO are these

https://www.thomann.de/gb/knosti_schallplattenwaschgeraet.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5bvEBRCM6vypnc7QgMkBEiQAUZftQLv6m_cc7D6Ar97QtjrYNgBQtKUOwSei2GGjsGs8kyEaApIV8P8HAQ

Its what I use myself to remove handruff from scratch records, to do a proper deep clean I find you have to repeat the process twice and in between run a needle thru the grooves once or twice to free up any stubborn pressed in skin scum. Time consuming compared to a proper vacuum machine but does a very thorough job. If the records haven't been abused to the same level as scratch vinyl you can do a decent job in half the time.

Can't help but have always been intrigued by these things. I think an ex-colleague had a proper one. My problem was generally heavy stylus abuse more than just dirt though.

Same here for all my records pre early 2000's, dam you shitty stantons 500 and my inability to set up a tonearm weight properly!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A real simple solution I learned ages ago...make your own. Get a cheap spray bottle from Walmart or the like, then toss in 80% to 90% rubbing alcohol and 10% to 20% distilled water. Works really well and doesn't leave residue, plus it's less than $3 and lasts forever. I just clean my records as I play, usually keeping the bottle underneath my mixer to encourage actual use.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest petesasqwax

The wood glue? Yeah, I know Belson does it with the super-filthy gospel 7"s he makes a mint out of - works an absolute treat