CDX reverse engineering

Guest rasteri

Guest rasteri

So implement pideck should be straightforward since ximo had implemented rotary encoder in the code (for library search but it should be "easy" to adapt the code adding the encoder part from your scratcher project too) and putting the touchscreen over the regular cdx one to keep the service tools still accessible...

I'd wanna design a totally new interface that used the existing LCD screen and buttons.

• Like 1

So implement pideck should be straightforward since ximo had implemented rotary encoder in the code (for library search but it should be "easy" to adapt the code adding the encoder part from your scratcher project too) and putting the touchscreen over the regular cdx one to keep the service tools still accessible...

I'd wanna design a totally new interface that used the existing LCD screen and buttons.
I hope you release an step by step guide and/or ready to install kit as the nanofader board. This is a gap which needs one of your usual clever solutions and I don't expect nobody releasing something similar soon*. The many approaches to this issue (reconverting old cdjs or digitalizing turntables as standalone digital decks) are usually closed (pidvs, sldz mods...), some bit open some bit closed (the fpga technics mod) and in the best of the situations full open but badly documented or far from ready to install (pideck...)

Implementing a Raspi using the screen and buttons will be great (even getting working the midi side could be nuts). Using the Raspi was my first thought when you pointed that the usb part of the board required a special firmware and so. That's why I started the other thread to keep the latest solutions that have been emerging over this year.

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=39494

I'm glad you are considering this option now. :)

------------------------------------------

*Maybe Pioneer or Numark release something in this field someday in the future (like the pt01 scratch popped out from portablism) but the most probable these "units" will be a fail or expensive as hell (tour line, ns7mk4...)

Is that the current thinking or last resort ?

Hello all! This is my first post on this forum. I stumbled across this by searching google for "cdx mods, refurbs." I have 3 cdx's sitting at home. I use 2 of then with traktor (control cds) the third doesn't even power on. I got it for free. But I can't just junk it. I know there's something special in these, Numark just jumped the gun and did a poor job. So with that I'm in 100% to see this come full circle. If I happen to come across any helpful info I'll send it here. If there's parts needed and what not I'll be happy to help out. Whether it's parts or a need to pitch in some money to help fund this project! RASTI... just wow. I have no clue what you're talking about on these posts, but I'm sure you're on the case! I applaud all of you for taking the time and energy to push this forward!!!

I'M CHEERING YOU GUYS ON!!! :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You know that there are people making cd drives emulators for consoles like sega etc:

GDEMU - from Poland,

and I think RHEA / PHOEBE

This is so frustrating knowing it can be done.
Now when Rane Twelve (if its not a fake) is coming out

we have the best tool in our hands

but have to deal with shitty laser

I still dig thru the web to find the simplest solution

- alternative for the kss213

maybe - something attached to the vinyl encoder to emulate control signal from serato - that would be nice for me

etc

- making it a standalone mp3 player with some screen like this cdj mod would be tha bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPkP1C88oQ

I know this is a bit different but look at this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvOPtrseUvGzb9ut8ZvWFqg/videos

I was saying that from the first day (you have post on the forum about that) but ATM a simple USB drive support will be more than enough. Rane twelve is near to the cdx mod with arduino (or the sldz) but the idea is to avoid computer. Raspi route is also similar but cdx has similar power CPU just waiting to cd emulation...

Rane twelve doesn't changes nothing since it will be 799$ probably...

Guest rasteri

You know that there are people making cd drives emulators for consoles like sega etc:

GDEMU - from Poland,

and I think RHEA / PHOEBE

This is so frustrating knowing it can be done.

Now when Rane Twelve (if its not a fake) is coming out

we have the best tool in our hands

but have to deal with shitty laser

I still dig thru the web to find the simplest solution

- alternative for the kss213

maybe - something attached to the vinyl encoder to emulate control signal from serato - that would be nice for me

etc

- making it a standalone mp3 player with some screen like this cdj mod would be tha bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzPkP1C88oQ

I know this is a bit different but look at this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvOPtrseUvGzb9ut8ZvWFqg/videos

Yeah all these are possibilities I've looked at. The CD drive emulation for video game consoles tends to be a bad fit for what we're doing, since it's aimed at emulating an entire CD image - I think an intelligent layer that just squirts I2S into the DSP is going to be both easier and more useful (meaning we can support (for example) FLAC files).

And yes, using the CDX as a hardware base for the raspi has occured to me - but I think a lot of the magic of the CDX is the well-written and nice-sounding DSP code. The designers really knew what they were doing with it, and I'd like to take advantage of it if possible. Especially as I know sod-all about DSP programming (I'd like to learn but there's only so many hours in the day, nawmean).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rasteri was working on it but first was working on the fretless fader for the Goldie awards.

So we can supose after the Goldies he will back to Cdx since it can be used with fretless.

Idk when the Goldies are so thats why asked about some update on it. Also very intrigued about Rasteri fretless approach and its possibilities. :)