Feelin' nostalgic about this purchase...

JHouse

I just bought the following CDs...

Straight Outta Compton - NWA

Check Your Head - Beastie Boys

3ft High and Rising - De La Soul

Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back - PE

Girl You know It's True - Milli Vanilli

No joke. I love all this shit, just lost the CDs at some point or another along the way. Seriously content right about...

• Like 1

If you really want to see someone transparent, I love that last CD more than the rest combined. I legitimately liked that shit, and was even more stoked when I learned those spandex wearing dudes didn't create it. Seriously. Doesn't get me much pussy, if any at all, but well, wait, wait was y'all saying???

Guest broke

I think my wife still has the Milli Vanilli LP. I remember I didn't hate them per se, but I didn't buy their music. There's still a bit of nostalgia there though, I'll admit.

The other four, however, I know word for word... so yeah, I'm totally with you on those. The only one I think I ever had on CD though was Check Your Head, maybe because vinyl wasn't available straight away and I wanted it asap. I have an OG vinyl pressing of it now that a friend gave me. I still have the LP of Straight Outta Compton that I bought the month it came out. I bought an original vinyl copy of Takes a Nation a few years ago, just to put on the wall, but I had the cassette back in the day. 3 Feet High I also bought on tape I think... but I have a 2LP reissue now. Basically, before I had turntables I started off buying LPs and taping them to play in my Walkman, but then after a while I just starting buying albums on cassette. Cool story etc etc

Guest broke

I used to like that Milli Vanilli joint. My excuse? I was about nine years old.

I don't trust all those people who say they were listening to hardcore rap when they were young.

"I was bumpin' Criminal Minded when I was five". Were you fuck!

I think I was thirteen when Criminal Minded came out, but I still didn't buy it for some reason (too hardcore maybe?). The first BDP I bought was Ghetto Music.

My mate recorded it onto cassette for me when I was at college in 96.

There was a girl in my class who was going out with some bloke waaaay too old for her (we were 12 and he must have been at least 18, or at least seemed like he was). I gave her a cassette and this dude put Straight Outta Compton and as much of Easy Duz It as he could on it.

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

I grabbed it off a a guy i met when i was 16 (94-ish) who had loads of rad hip hop tapes (which i recorded most of. Jeez must have borrowed about 80 albums in about a year). I was nine when it came out too! :d

By all means was the first i got off one of my mates bro's who had gone off hip hop and gave it to me when i was 15.

One of best things about my comprehensive school was there was loads of rudies who had older bros and sisters into rap and "rave music" (both of which were referred to as hardcore, confusingly) was that i got to hear a load of naughty hip hop when i was about 11/12 years old. I first heard hijack there!

Yeah, i think you're right tough, absolutely no one i knew was into the rap music when i was in primary school. It's only the like of Harry Love that got to be lucky enough to hear loads of it as a sprog. I first got into it as an 11 year old though i'm happy to say i was patient zero with loads of hip hop for tons of people as a youngster.

[This post was brought to you by old men reminiscing and whistful nostalgia]

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I gave her a cassette and this dude put Straight Outta Compton and as much of Easy Duz It as he could on it.

I had a c90 with Eazy Duz It on one side and Geto Boyz on the other. I don't know why but I never even listened to the Geto Boyz side. I'd listen through Eazy Duz It, then flip the tape over, fast forward it & flip it back.

Try to explain the concept of fast forwarding the opposite side in order to rewind the side you want to a kid who doesn't understand what a tape is... #DadLife

• Like 2

I don't trust all those people who say they were listening to hardcore rap when they were young.

Bang on Joe!

People love to make out they we're way cooler, earlier than they actually were. In 1990 I had tapes of songs I liked recorded off the radio and there was some De La Soul, the cheesy Double Trouble remix of I Know You Got Soul and Dub Be Good To Me on there... But the same year I danced to Vanilla Ice in a shellsuit at the school disco and loved every bloody minute of it :d

• Like 3

Bang on Joe!

People love to make out they we're way cooler, earlier than they actually were. In 1990 I had tapes of songs I liked recorded off the radio and there was some De La Soul, the cheesy Double Trouble remix of I Know You Got Soul and Dub Be Good To Me on there... But the same year I danced to Vanilla Ice in a shellsuit at the school disco and loved every bloody minute of it :d

Same here. I used to like some awful tripe but I also had the De La, Tribe and Jungle Brothers LPs.

School discos though. Luckily for us we're from the era where everyone in the building wasn't armed with a pocket device, capable of filming high quality video that could be distributed worldwide at the touch of a button!

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Spot on Joe you always get the tool at shows or down the pub that reckons there mum brought them Straight Outta Compton when there where five or they come straight out the womb listening to Wu-Tang and some other bollocks. I first heard my first proper hip hop track (well I say track it was a radio rip of the Westwood Rap Show) till I was in secondary school maybe late 96/early 97ish around 13 years of age.The good old days of trading dubs of the latest Jungle/Hardcore tape packs for cash or your pack lunch, Remember one side was Nicky Blackmarket live at (Utopia? is what is keeps popping in my head) and the other side was a radio rip of the Westwood Rap Show).

My experience in the U.S. was that rap was blowing up when I was young (less than 10-years old). I vividly remember Rapper's Delight and Rapture by Blondie when I was real really young and by the time I was 7 or 8 lots and lots of kids were buying "breakdance" tapes and records that were just compilations. By the second half of the 80s it seemed like everybody was listening to Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, Fat Boys, Slick Rick. NWA and Public Enemy were also very mainstream toward the end of the decade. What I DON'T remember was kids listening to BDP, Ultramag, Eric B & Rakim, etc. I think much of that was an NYC phenom. The whole hip hop thing died down for a few years and "Alternative" music took off (I think that's actually a big reason why Check Your Head did well) I remember some people being into De La, Black Sheep, Organized Confusion, Tribe, Del, etc, but they were not the norm. Then in 93 and 94 hit you started seeing everybody into Wu, and Dr. Dre. It just steamrolled from there.

But yeah, you talk to people now and they want to act like they were rocking Schooly D or some shit back in 1984 and I didn't know anybody who was that cool.

• Like 1

I started getting into hip-hop and electro around 1982/3, but it was really hard to get hold of stuff back then, especially living where I did. There were a bunch of record shops in my home town, but you'd rarely find any hip-hop records in there. You were lucky to get a badly dubbed tape, copied via hooking 2 tape decks together with a DIN lead. :d

By the mid-80s it had really blown up though. All the posers that were into it around 83 had moved on to pretending to like soul music and only the people who actually liked hip-hop were left. That's when people started buying full albums and swapping tapes of those. Also, a friend of mine's dad got a really high end Aiwa hi-fi which I used to copy tapes and record albums and 12"s, so I was finally getting decent sound quality on chrome cassettes.

The main bullshit you would hear from posers was about the Street Sounds Electro albums. There was always some dick saying he had Electro 28 or whatever, claiming that he got it from America where they were supposedly way ahead with the series, but of course, they'd never bring the tape into school or let you hear it, lol.

I was 18 and had been into hip-hop for 5+ years and soul/R&B for 3 years or so when "Girl You Know It's True" came out. I was never into it.

I remember the original version though: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqvWBL2M-p0

A friend of mine bought the album after liking "Rhymes So Def", which was a pretty popular tune at the time after getting some play from Mike Allen in 87: -

• Like 2

Steve and myself are roughly the same age and I was also fortunate enough to have two older brothers who were into really good music and they always bought the latest cool stuff that came out.

I heard Rappers Delight when it was originally released in 1979 when I was about 11 or so which one of my brothers had picked up from the Virgin records store in the town centre...I can remember how small the shop was back then which seems pretty crazy when you think of how large the later Virgin megastores were.

I was brought up on things like David Bowie,Tangerine Dream and early Punk Rock,Roots Reggae and the Two Tone records so hearing Hip Hop tunes was no big deal for me really..I bought the 12 inch single of The Message in 1982 when I was 14 and also some of the Street Sound Electro albums that Steve mentioned getting around 82/83.

As I said it was more to do with being fortunate that I got to hear so much great music when I was relatively young as one of of my brothers owned an Independent Record shop beetween 1983 -1988 so I was always getting new music every week through him...I got those early Schoolly D records from his shop back in the day for example and was going to see him in concert but the show got cancelled on the night he was due to play because Schooly D was sick or something unfortunately.

Even though I liked Hip Hop a lot back then I never took it that seriously tbh, but that changed literally overnight when Yo Bumrush The Show was released and from then on I became a truly commited head to the genre and started buying all the Rap records I could get my greedy hands on hehe.

• Like 1

I think I was into Wham, Queen and Level 42 when I was five. I'll get my coat.

Reading this post prompted me into writing a 3000 word essay on the abhorrence that is Level 42 and the utter shitiness of their song Lessons in Love which is regarded as a high watermark in the turd of that genre of music we know as Jazz Funk.

But then I realised that I actually hate Queen even more than I loathe Level 42 so I didn't do it.

My next door neighbour once played Bohemian Rhapsody 14 times in a row while inebriated on a Sunday afternoon which was then followed by The best of Meat Loaf on cd 3 times repeatedly although he had absolutely no recollection whatsoever of doing so when I questioned him about it the following evening... :|

• Like 1

I think I was into Wham, Queen and Level 42 when I was five. I'll get my coat.

Reading this post prompted me into writing a 3000 word essay on the abhorrence that is Level 42 and the utter shitiness of their song Lessons in Love which is regarded as a high watermark in the turd of that genre of music we know as Jazz Funk.

But then I realised that I actually hate Queen even more than I loathe Level 42 so I didn't do it.

My next door neighbour once played Bohemian Rhapsody 14 times in a row while inebriated on a Sunday afternoon which was then followed by The best of Meat Loaf on cd 3 times repeatedly although he had absolutely no recollection whatsoever of doing so when I questioned him about it the following evening... :|

In my defence, I was five and not a drunken adult.

• Like 2

:d

I forgave your youthfull transgression when I first read your post Jel

but I can never forgive Mark King for his crimes against the music industry.

:d

I forgave your youthfull transgression when I first read your post Jel

but I can never forgive Mark King for his crimes against the music industry.

Thanks! Too true. Jazz Funk should appropriately be shortened to Junk.

• Like 2

To be honest, I didn't get into hip hop till the mid-nineties when I was about 18. I had listened to some gangsta rap stuff a few years before that (NWA, etc) but wasn't really into it. Then I read a review of the reissued version of It Takes a Nation of Millions... in NME of all places. It said something like "This is the greatest rap album ever made" so I figured I might as well start there if I was ever going to get into rap.

I was big into metal at the time and my first thought when I listened to PE was "there's not enough guitar"! My favourite track for a while was 'She watch channel zero' for that reason alone - goes to show how little I knew about how hip hop was made that I didn't even recognize that the riff was taken from Slayer and I was into them in a big way at the time.

Anyway, listened to that PE album for the whole of the summer of 1995 and had memorised every word by the end. That was my introduction to hip hop.

• Like 2