People who make stuff:

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

My dad liked Johnny Cash. My mum had some dope shit - Moog Beatles records, Pierre Henry and some stuff like that - but I didn't realise until years later when I eventually plundered their vinyl. She had never played that stuff when I was within earshot!

Which record shop was it - Record Collector? My mates dad used to cop loads of shit from Rare N Racy when he was a youth. When we discovered the place when we were in our late teens/early 20s he almost teared up that it was stil there. Wish that were always going to be the case, fucking gentrifying wankers

The main push for me was after I scored the rectangle box set, I really loved it a lot, however, I remember thinking that the max play time of beats are wasted on me as I liked other styles of beats completely and that if I could delete the beats and put all the tracks/parts I liked from that boxset together (sentences, tones sfx etc), I'd probably have a whole record which I thought was out of this world.
Up until then, my fave scratch disc was hee-haw breaks (mainly for the sfx and packed full layout), but I much preferred the actual content that the rectangle records had.
I then took these ideas as a templates and gradually tried to go from there, making my 'dream record'. My drive was I just wanted to make my dream record really - where I liked every sound.

I also had a similar pre-conception of the music industry, similar to what Symatic said which procrastinated some time over.

Guest petesasqwax

Man, that's it exactly! I didn't want ANY of the beats on those Rectangle records - just the sounds to cut with. As a result, I basically only used way less than half of them - probably even less than a quarter. I used to cut over records that were solely breaks - like the 45 king LPs and the like - so I rarely ever wanted the beats on any scratch records. That's one of the reasons why Man O War is SO fucking ILL

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Here how it all started for me at the young age of 12, a blind purchase in Our Price on a double CD changed my world especially the DJ Sy mix where I heard my first scratch! This is where my love of sampling and scratching began in 95 :o

The man that really inspired me to get into sampling heavily was the jungle producer Bizzy B,loved the way he wrecked the Amen break up :d

Ah man, all those misconceptions when listening to hip hop as a yoot. I used to think rappers did all the 'music' on their LPs until someone pointed out that the track we were listening to was produced by DJ Premier from Gang Starr. Then I checked the album credits on Illmatic and it all became clear!

Here how it all started for me at the young age of 12, a blind purchase in Our Price on a double CD changed my world especially the DJ Sy mix where I heard my first scratch! This is where my love of sampling and scratching began in 95 :o

I think Sy was where I first heard scratching too

Guest petesasqwax

Ah man, all those misconceptions when listening to hip hop as a yoot. I used to think rappers did all the 'music' on their LPs until someone pointed out that the track we were listening to was produced by DJ Premier from Gang Starr. Then I checked the album credits on Illmatic and it all became clear!

But Bilal taught us:

Man, that's it exactly! I didn't want ANY of the beats on those Rectangle records - just the sounds to cut with. As a result, I basically only used way less than half of them - probably even less than a quarter.

Agreed, did you have the box set or the individual eps, I think the labels might be different, but I loved the red and royal blue ones I think that was vol 1 and the best of which had the double baby blue labels vol 5?

There is a blue moon sample on there, Id say a good 40% of my old dnb mixtapes started with that lol.

To this day I still rate that box set very highly.

Guest Symatic

The main push for me was after I scored the rectangle box set, I really loved it a lot, however, I remember thinking that the max play time of beats are wasted on me as I liked other styles of beats completely and that if I could delete the beats and put all the tracks/parts I liked from that boxset together (sentences, tones sfx etc), I'd probably have a whole record which I thought was out of this world.

Up until then, my fave scratch disc was hee-haw breaks (mainly for the sfx and packed full layout), but I much preferred the actual content that the rectangle records had.

I then took these ideas as a templates and gradually tried to go from there, making my 'dream record'. My drive was I just wanted to make my dream record really - where I liked every sound.

I also had a similar pre-conception of the music industry, similar to what Symatic said which procrastinated some time over.

leighton's release is actually the thnig that made me and D realize it was possible to get this shit done, so that answers the question pete asked :) it was man o war and plenty of encouragement and inspiration from various csg related encounters

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

No man, I never even saw the boxed set - I just had individuals. I had the red ones (South Park samples) and the blue ones (Jerry Springer samples) but I can't remember what else. I only remember those because we used them in a 3 man routine (which was sketchy as fuck in retrospect, but we hadn't been cutting more than about 6 months so it was probably better than it had any right to be!)

• Like 1