Old salty ass DJ rants about Millenial DJs not being funky....

Acts_One

i kind of agree with his point, in a way...although i don't agree entirely.

people didn't have access to all the tutorials an shit back in the day - and i for one - didn't really have a clue what i was doing when i was doing it....i largely still don't TBH, I go by sound and 'feeling'....i actually hate learning cuts by breaking them down into movements and patterns....it just doesn't work for me, and kinda takes the fun aspect away from trial and error and 'coming across things yourself'

it is however the only real way to learn the new school styles - they're largely all just combos of pre exiting cuts anyway

it is true that a lot of people sound the same because of this methodological approach, but also doesn't mean that people aren't funky with it - it just means that more people are actually able to learn by process, rather than feel.

saying that modern cuttin / DJS ain't funky is ridiculous - there's a boat load that aren't - but fuck......there's sooo many that are!

• Like 3

Soon discussions about wether a CunTROLLerist is a DJ and/or Musician or not, will take the place of this "Younger Turntablists don't have enough Funk". Rob Swift needs to go with the time or he'll gone in time (bad translation of a German saying)...

Guest petesasqwax

You know what pisses me off the most? I used to massively rate Rob. I was a huge fan of the stuff he did with G Rap, Akinyele, Large Pro, MF Grimm etc. It's gutting that he has turned into this grouchy old naysayer - I try not to let it, but it ultimately takes away all the enjoyment I got from his back catalogue. Bastard.

• Like 1

Yawn...the problem with the word Funky is the term gets passed around like the only toilet roll at a football game..people try to attach it to the most inane stuff out there...

Rob Swift should just shut the fuck up but he cant because hes a dickhead.

• Like 3

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, Ricci Rucker was sound until he hit the gym and went all Mr Universe.

I don't even know where to start with this, man. That's sig-worthy stuff.

• Like 1

Yeah, Ricci Rucker was sound until he hit the gym and went all Mr Universe.

He did? I remember he dropped a lot of weight after he started staring at the sun instead of eating, but I had no idea he'd started sculpting the guns as well.

• Like 1

Funky this..funky that.

It gets on my tits the way the word gets applied to any old bollocks..take 'Funky House', (please)-thats a contradiction in terms if ever ive heard one. House music is not Funky at all, its just non funky garbage..so fuck off and take your 'funky' glow sticks with you too you morons.

And what the hell is a 'Funky' scratch supposed to be -can someone actually show me the definition of one ?

What a load of old nonsense.. it really does go to show that some people truly have nothing worthwhile to say but will still insist on saying it anyway.

• Like 1