Put the recycle bin in the system tray in Windows

Steve

The only icon on my desktop was the recycle bin, but I just found a free little piece of software that creates a recycle bin in your system tray.

Empty: -

pic1.jpg

Not empty: -

pic2.jpg

When you right-click the icon, you get the options to open or empty the bin, plus an option to configure the program which allows you to change a few things, including being able to double-click the icon to empty the bin.

Options screen: -

pic3.jpg

You can use the program to replace the recycle bin on your desktop, or you can use it in addition to it.

It's available for free here: -

http://www.e-sushi.net/

Look under Software for MiniBin 1.9.3.0.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The developer has improved this quite a lot since I posted about it, and he's also made an even simpler version called Microbin: -

http://www.e-sushi.net/microbin/

With this version, it displays this icon when the bin is empty: -

empty.jpg

And this one when the bin has something in it: -

full.jpg

To empty the bin you just double-click on it, or you can right-click on it and choose either "open" or "empty".

It works with all versions of Windows anyone here is likely to be using, is free, and uses virtually no resources.

I can't remember how you do it in earlier versions (you definitely can though), but in Windows 7 and 8 you right-click on a blank area of the desktop and choose "Personalise" and a new window will open, then choose "Change desktop icons" on the upper-left and uncheck the box next to the Recycle Bin (and any other items you want to get rid of).