One of the episodes that I scored with scratch music is online :)

Vekked

Thanks for that, just the level of nerdy I appreciate!

I'm always keen to read anything more detailed on making scratch music because nobody really does - there are a gazillion tutorials on general music production in every format, but the only thing I've ever seen for recording scratching was a token half a page in an old Computer Music mag that gave a very non-committal "add a subtle amount of EQ, compression and reverb".

I'm not surprised you backed down to simpler tracks, apart from the sustainability of keeping material flowing, a lot of effective scoring is about strong, simple ideas. I think it's more about something with a strong identity that catches a vibe. In something perhaps relatable to a scratch track, John Carpenter's 'Assault on Precinct 13' springs to mind, as does the beginning of Dirty Harry looking over the pool with Schifrin's eerie vocals and rattly drums sets the mood perfectly.

What you're saying on tightness makes sense too. I find it fascinating comparing recorded cuts where you get to analyse everything, with live where even the best have few less than perfect moments that you just forget as soon as you've heard them. You can't beat experience of any and every kind I reckon. I bet if you made your own album of scratch music now, it would be better for all this experience you've now had. Even if it went in quite a different direction.

I hadn't imagined the obvious chore of communicating with non music people... I would've just pitched everything up an octave :d

Made me think of this with Badalamenti and David Lynch on Twin Peaks

• Like 1