Sample flipping questions

d00ban

Yo, so I've been confused by this track for a while, I need someone who is experienced in sample flipping to clear my mind up here.

Is Kaytranada in this track making most of the beat fit the sample (in terms of bassline, pads and arp which come in later too) or is he repitching the sample to fit the new bassline he made or a clever combination of both?

I guess at the start it just sounds like he's triggering the samples at the start but then he does some more crazy pitching stuff at 39 seconds and on.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/235319/Kaytranada-At-All-Chaka-Khan-I-Know-You,-I-Live-You-(Reprise)/

Hopefully that even makes sense... I might try and recreate the track but got a nasty feeling I'd have no clue how to do it.

Doob & Kaytranada is the new Jon & Buddy Peace.

with my incredibly limited knowledge, i'd guess he just gets the vocal, does that command where you put it in a midi keyboard and every key has a sped up or slowed down pitch (with the original in the middle usually) and then just pressed whatever pitch he felt sounded good.

bosh. 5min max.

• Like 1

I agree with Jimmy.

I think he's sampled the original single note(s) and re-pitched them to his needs. After a quick listen (and with limited musical ear) I think the beat uses some of the same notes, but not all. Either it's in the same key as the original and he's used less (or different) notes from the same scale, or he's perhaps used the sampled notes at there original pitching and played his own scale from there that includes a few common notes. Someone who plays instruments or has a really good ear could no doubt give a more reliable and informed answer.

To echo Jimbo, I think he's just created a hit point and wacked it in Kontact (or something similar) to give him the different pitches. There is lots of SC compression so that gives the sample attack a bit of softness and probably reduces the harshness of the repitching.

It's a nice little track and Im pretty certain he's added the synths and the nice arps. musical dude.

OK just wanted to confirm. I've downloaded the orig track and am going to see what I can do to recreate it, just as a project yagetme. Wish I had a better ear for music, when ever I try to do something like that it sounds shit and out of tune.

• 1 year later...

I've thought about this track before as well. I was thinking he has just pitched it and added some sort of modulation at the start of the hits but the point about side chain is a good one. the fact the hits of her voice get quicker and slower would say to meh has just spread the sample over the keyboard or pads then used the same notes for the bass etc.

i try and do something similar. I'm shit at music and have used the audio to midi converter in ableton for pretty much every bass line i have ever done even though i only have a trial of ableton.

Yeah it's deffo a clever combination of both (now I know a bit more about sampling). I think he was lucky that he got a nice sample that he could re-pitch without it sounding shite. That's the problem I run into a lot when trying this, it just sounds corny to do that sometimes.

Didn't know you did you baselines in Ableton that way! Fair enough, I think Ableton is much better set up for that shit than maschine.

Guest petesasqwax

have you got ableton live 9? if so, their audio to midi converter is usually pretty spot on

This. Very much so. This feature is pretty much my favouirite innovation in production software for as long as I can remember. I have zero musical training so often the hardest thing for me to work out is what root note the sample I'm chopping up is. By using the "Convert to MIDI melody" facility within Ableton I can see what note it is, then use that as the basis for playing with things that will fit alongside the sample.

This is the 21st century version of "my boy ____________ came in a laid down some bass guitar for the track" - now it's "my software Ableton helped me figure out what key it was in so I could play that shit for myself"