MPC 1000 vs 2000xl?

well anyway im currently just using a microkorg, an alesis micron and a roland sp-404 (with a sexy black faceplate). my set-up is kinda simple but it's nice for making loops and stuff.

i might have enough money soon to add something and was thinking of getting an MPC because i've always wanted one. now i've only ever "played" around with the 1000 but that was just for a short period of time.

to the best of my knowledge the 1000 with the JJOS has more features but the 2000xl has better build quality. now i'd obviously be buying the 2000xl second-hand if i got it but still build quality is important for me especially if im going to have to spend this much money (this is a lot of money for me).

just wondering what your thoughts on this would be.

oh yeah i makez tha hip-hop and might be into doing live performance things in the future or something.

holla!!

I have a 2000xl and would never get rid of it.... the 1000s are nice and smaller, but for me a 2kxl or if I was gonna do something newer I'd get a 4 or 5000

If ever you get a MPC-1000, make sure you buy the newer model, with better pads. The first version had different pads, which were "breaking" faster than the ones on the older mpc's. I still rock my 2kxl, but I you never worked with an MPC, I guess your better with the 1k, with the revised pads and the jjos.

my vote is the 1000. it's just a newer machine, a much quicker processor and more features really take it above the 2000xl. the only thing about the 2000xl is the ergonomics, and if large pads, tilt screen and more dedicated buttons do it for you (as they do for me), the 2500 is a nice buy too (the extra outputs are good too- although to be honest 6 outs is pretty good on the 1000 and another reason why it might be a smarter choice than a 2000xl). i had a 2000xl for a month, and although it's great, the new models are superior in my book. waiting 5-10 seconds for the waveform to draw on a sample, every single time, before you can edit gets long.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/article/3/akai-mp...akai-mpc2000xl/

Akai MPC1000 Vs Akai MPC2000XL

The MPC 1000 is the smallest in the Akai MPC range of samplers/MIDI production centers. The MPC 1000 is certainly the most portable, cost effective MPC ever, and features a fair array of new features over our old favourite, the Akai MPC 2000XL.

What's New?

The main improvements of the MPC 1000 over the 2000XL are as follows:

1. Smaller, lighter and more portable

2. Re-sampling of the audio outputs

3. Normalising

4. USB connection to computers - allows easy transfer of sounds from computers

5. More filters

6. Real time control of filter and LFO

7. Patched Phrase (internal slicing method to enhance BPM matching)

8. More memory capacity(128mb)

9. Effects as standard

10. Internal Hard drive option

11. More varied array of internal effects

12. Total of 6 outputs plus digital as standard

13. Compact Flash storage

On the downside, the following XL features are missing from the MPC 1000.

1. Sequencer capacity cut from 300,000 to 100,000

2. No MTC sync

3. No SCSI port (had to happen at some point though and not necessarily a bad thing)

4. No way to hook up an external storage device like CDROM or Zip

5. Using 2000XL programs will keep most pad parameters, but filter settings, Mode, and Voice Overlap are lost

6. Programs made on the 1000 will NOT load into an MPC2000XL (sounds will)

7. No tilting screen

8. Can only have 6 outs, not 10 like the XL.

9. No autochromatic assign

10. The pads just don't feel as good

Taking a closer look, there are some interesting differences between the XL and the MPC1000:

1. The 1000 allows resampling of the main outputs

2. Preview sounds directly from disk - no need to load into memory

3. Loading of entire folders in one go

4. Use of Q-sliders to change mixer controls (volume & panning), plus set start and end trim/loop points quickly.

5. The 1000 has 5MB of internal Flash memory to use for your favourite sounds.

6. 2 sliders

7. The DRUM holder system is gone, programs are just assigned directly to a track rather than being first placed in a DRUM holder and that holder being assigned to a track.

8. Layering is more advanced - 4 samples per layer and those samples do NOT need to be assinged to another pad (unlike the XL)

9. Unfortunately, program params on a layered pad apply to the whole pad - you can't assign unique attack or filter to each layer.

10. Effects now include compression, eq and bit grunging.

11. Memory upgrade is easy due to dedicated memory entry plate on the base of the unit. Will take standard laptop memory.

12. Step Edit now shows 4 events at once

13. Now two types of sequence file - SEQ and MID. MID is a standard MIDI file while SEQ files also contain MPC specific events

14. No APS file anymore. Saving all program & samples just saves each individual program with its samples.

15. Project files save the entire memory including all sequences and effects.

16. You can process external audio sources through your MPC - IPT files allow you record processing data.

17. The USB connection just turns your MPC into a very expensive memory card reader - it does nothing else except lock up your MPC until the USB connection is broken. This is a bit of a pain - also, you must remove your MPC from your PC system tray otherwise just yanking it out will crash your PC

18. The memory card slot is poor - 70% of the time the card doesn't 'like' going in, as it has to be placed in 'just right'. Patience is in order, or the internal pins could probably bend quite easily.

19. Improved slicing feature - now you can add a timestretched decay on the end of each chop (like recycle) rather than the old XL method which just 'borrowed' a few samples from the slice in front of it (leading to clicks). You can also chop up to 64 slices.

20. Downside to slicing is that it converts stereo to mono. Also you cannot apply edits like reverse to each slice while in the slice screen like you could with the XL.

21. Patched phrase means you can take a loop, zone it and create a single new sample that will expand in real time to fit the BPM of the beat oyu are creating. Very nice, although like slicing, stereo samples are converted to mono.

22. We now have LFO control which is a great addition to the MPC range

23. Pad sensitivity is now user changeable

24. Has pitch shifting

25. Has very fast time stretch

26. Usability is more complex over the XL - it can be a phaff naming samples (especially with numbers) and I keep hitting the PLAY button accidentally when performing edits (which locks the edit screen until you press STOP) and generally everything is a little cramped (but that's a smaller machine for you).

Worth Buying?

Basically, I like the MPC1000. It's dirt cheap, have most of the MPC2000XL's features and some very nice extras. If this is to be your first MPC, then yes, it's great value for money. If you intend using commercial sounds with it (sample CDROMs etc) then you'll really need to have a computer as well, otherwise you'll have difficulty getting those sounds into the MPC 1000. If you are an existing MPC2000Xl user, then it's a hard choice as to whether you'd want to convert over completely as I do feel the XL has a better build quality, has a better pad feel and is generally a more pro machine, but in the end, the 1000 addresses a lot of my gripes with the XL (better computer support, faster processor, built in effects, improved OS, LFO, more memory capability, hard drive option, etc, so my recommendation is to get the 1000 only if these new features seem important to you. If not, stick with your XL or even get both.

thanks guys.

ive been reading up and it's all so confusing. what does 6 outs even mean??

i record all my stuff onto a cassette deck for gods sake.

to phology. i was thinking about getting the trigger finger to go with my SP-404.

i did some research on the various pad controllers available and apparently the trigger finger is built the most solidly. the korg padkontrol has more options though like it having an X/Y touch pad sort of like the kaos pad which enables you to do rolls and stuff.

didn't really look into the akai MPD controllers though because im not using software so don't really have need for lots of sliders and knobs.

if anybody here has an MPC 1000 how would you rate it's build quality.

from what i heard the MPC 2000xl seems to be built solid wheras the 1000 seems to have problems like control knobs falling off and the compact flash drive breaking.

from reading and watching videos on the JJOS for the 1000 im almost positive that i wouldn't need half those features.

from what i heard the MPC 2000xl seems to be built solid wheras the 1000 seems to have problems like control knobs falling off and the compact flash drive breaking.

That's what I've heard, but u get what you pay for...

You wouldn't need the 6 outs unless/until you take it to a studio likely... that said, one of the guys that taught me a lot in the beginning always ran his mpc into a 8 channel mackie mixer and then tweaked each channel to how he wanted it...

So,, what is being done is u assign say the drums to one track, bass to another and so on either to adjust it using a different device or to record each track separately in a multi-track program in the studio. If you plan on selling beats this is considered important.

• 2 weeks later...

I think u will be happy with the 1000 for the price. If ur gonna spend more just get a 5000. The 2kXL is sweet and will never be outdated IMO but it is a bit pricy and is best with mods like the multicard reader.... so costs even more.

• 1 year later...

There is a couple of ways of testing if the 1000 has new pads. The new pads are all in one sheet, so if you try to move a pads up/down left/right you should see adjacent pads wiggling a little too. The other way is too pinch the bottom corner of one of the bottom corner pads you should be able to poke out the corner from the case, its easy to poke it back in (oyou could do it with the top corner of the top corner pads too) .You wont be able to do this with the old pads.

Ive got an mpc60 and an mpc100, I've used the 2000,2000xl and the 2500 too. In my opinion the 1000 is the one to go for (with new pads). Look into the JJOS which adds many features (including some of the features listed as 2000xl only in that list above).Sample chopping with that os is a dream.

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

The mpc forums website can be useful :

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewforum.php?f=25

pm me if you want too, i love mpc's and have been using them for years.

I've recenty decided the 1000 has shit sound compared to the 2kXL. Just for the record. It's still a lot of bang for the buck tho.

• 2 months later...