Photo

Cool DJ equipment that should exist but don't?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Mutis Mayfield

Mutis Mayfield
  • Elite Member
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

Also how about the ability to record DVS movements and edit them like you can with MIDI? Would be great for cleaning up mistakes and as a teaching tool.

I've always thought this would be nice (but very niche) thing as a plugin or standalone sampler. Loads of scratches and patterns pre-made for dropping samples on to - just like an instrument library.

Isn't that what "The Bridge" does/did?

Mixtape feature of Serato the Bridge recorded the audio from SSL like reWire includding transitions and fader movements but it doesn't record any turntable movement (scratch or whatever). Also it can't scratch Ableton clips just had control over global transport so you can mix your Ableton projects with SSL songs but only scratch in the second. When you dabbled with the transport backwards Ableton jumped to the song position but only as playhead control of the reproduction (near to forward scratch but without pitching so bah)

Ms. Pinky m4l managed to load the audio from clips inside the patch to make it accessible for scratch but the info about warp markers never has been accessed. It has another kind of bugs with multiples instances and zero maintenance (was coded initially by Scott and improved by a forum member first and others later but never really developed more than this).
NI released Remix decks and win. It has the best of all without requiring extra software but the chances of ttm software keep lost in the way...
Scratch track plug implemented was lots of people expected from Serato but ugly GUI and crashes made it not so popular. Also as an indie developer he hasn't any major scratcher support to make ubercool video ads.
Finally Serato released SDj and start implementing some of the ideas from the Bridge like Flip and improved SP-6. Ableton by its side released Ableton link which is more or less the Bridge transport scripts glorified. It has its drawbacks but in general it's a great tool.
Traktor/Maschine implemented it giving users the chance to Maschine as 5th deck. Also improved Maschine software to export straightforward into Traktor again bypassing the Bridge worst part to just optimize each app.
Then came Maschine Jam as Push2 competition, Komplete improvements, Reaktor improvements and Maschine mk3...

If the dots are right in my mind Traktor and Maschine maybe could add some automation features like Traktor deck in Maschine instead Maschine deck into Traktor. Maschine users don't want it as DAW but NI needs some improvements in this field since Serato has gone Roland and Pioneer seems focused in add each producer-like feature they can. Anyways I will not hold my breath since scratch automation aside mixtape/remix tool doesn't makes too much sense for regular users and turntablism users are known for not being early adopters of any kind of aid help (think in sync drama and how necessary it's as feature if you want to syncronize fx like Jam Burglar proposal...)

So there are some tools but idk if there will be new approaches.

@vekked what do you think about these? Are you wondering maybe hardware instead of?

#22 Deft

Deft

DOS Commander

• Elite Member
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

Probably one of these modern mixers already does it, but I've always thought internal FX should be modulated by crossfader or linefader position/velocity. For example, when you chirp faster the effect depth etc changes too.

Real DJs use SL1200GAEs

#23 Symatic

Symatic
  • Elite Member
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

a turntable that's actually good. someone please hire the Vestax team back and get them working on a PDX that sounds nice. (already pointless suggestion I know)

what rasteri is saying about lining up to 3/6/9/12 is a deep subject, if any turntable manufacturers would care to listen, the turntablist community could offer some insightful input for this insturment.

a self-contained loop pedal that works like Loopy HD but with a hardware foot switch. pay Loopy HD's deveopers.

a move away from endless software updates and the game of wack-a-mole you have to play if you use software-driven DJ products. its insane. I had to sell a really dope mixer i won because it wouldn't run on my OS. the default response of any company is "you need to have the latest hardware/OS" - this is not realistic. what happened to products that had longevity as a feature? oh yeah, capitalism......

live looping + retriggering of loops/samples + quality pads + solid as fuck = dope poduct. basically if the SP-404 was able to live loop, its would be game-over.

• JHouse, DJ Rock Well and Mutis Mayfield like this

#24 Efhutton

Efhutton
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Yeah especially now we have the rane 12 it seems the limitation is software rather than hardware.

I'd love to see DVS software where you can just drag samples onto 12/3/6/9 o'clock positions and they'll appear there, and you can switch between sample sets using cue points, rather than having to have all your samples arranged beforehand. Like making your own skipless record. Would make jamming with bands a fuckton easier.

Also how about the ability to record DVS movements and edit them like you can with MIDI? Would be great for cleaning up mistakes and as a teaching tool.

yes, a way to line cues up where you want them; i.e. 12 oclock or three. doing this manually with blank silent space is tedious.

ok, so, hardware?

first, please keep track of any ideas people tell you, and keep that person involved.

1..battery power. take anything and put it on batt power; mixer, turntable, player, etc. just the ability to move something around your house, like take your set up out to the balcony on sunday morning or something will make this things sell.

2..stand-alone player, dual-layer, motorised platter..if it's on batt power with an integrated mixer and speaker,  hottest product ever

3..vinyl surfaces. think bout this rane 12. think about all the different textures you can put on the vinyl now that it doesn't have to carry a needle. textures that could facilitate more complex hydro sounds.

#25 Mutis Mayfield

Mutis Mayfield
  • Elite Member
  • 432 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

live looping + retriggering of loops/samples + quality pads + solid as fuck = dope poduct. basically if the SP-404 was able to live loop, its would be game-over.

Sp555
https://youtu.be/8dWAz_UqkuQ

#26 iexist

iexist

Air Jordan

• Elite Member
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:14 PM

I think a utility to read your scratches in comparison to the ttm chart would be nice.

like, a measure of how my chirps compare to a solid ttm reading of a chirp, etc.

• djdiggla and Mutis Mayfield like this

"here you are kids. here's a set of turntables, but dON'T YOU DARE COPY MY STYLE BITCH!" - Symatic

#27 rasteri

rasteri
  • Elite Member
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:35 PM

Now we have the rane 12, I'd love a feature in serato that automatically maps a song so that one bar = one record rotation and sets the turntable motor speed accordingly.
  • savwar, Mutis Mayfield and Efhutton like this

#28 Mutis Mayfield

Mutis Mayfield
  • Elite Member
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

I think a utility to read your scratches in comparison to the ttm chart would be nice.

like, a measure of how my chirps compare to a solid ttm reading of a chirp, etc.

https://www.youtube....h?v=sUB4rSELFXo

Check my links. DV forum doesn’t embed them but you may find interesting things.

#29 Gizmo

Gizmo
  • Elite Member
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

Now we have the rane 12, I'd love a feature in serato that automatically maps a song so that one bar = one record rotation and sets the turntable motor speed accordingly.

https://djworx.com/r...wheel-360-mode/

DJ Player implemented it. 

• Mutis Mayfield likes this

#30 Symatic

Symatic
  • Elite Member
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

Sp555
https://youtu.be/8dWAz_UqkuQ

Yeah i nearly traded in my old 404 fpr a 555 - i just couldnt afford it at the time and i loved the portability of the 404... in fact the sales dude in the shop only had a 555 on display and we assumed the live looping was a feature on both when i bought the 404... ughhhh
  • Mutis Mayfield likes this

#31 Mutis Mayfield

Mutis Mayfield
  • Elite Member
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

These sp are uberpriced in second hand but wrong priced in first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users