BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Banana Jazz

Did it! Made myself make a simple hip hop beat in a couple of hours I had at the studio tonight. Calling it done, but I want to take a second run at it to sort out the mix as it was made on (mostly) PA speakers. Might do a few quick drum edits too as it's just one 4 bar pattern looped at the minute. Give me one maybe two days max and I'll upload.

• Like 2

As promised. It's erm... what I could manage in a couple of hours the other night, plus a quick half hour tidy up today. I'd like to change it all already but it was quite good for me to have to just sit down and do what could with I had in a limited time, as the world's worst pontificator.

I tried to use a bit of the record I though nobody else would touch, so had to fuck around with quite limited little snippets. All sounds from the record apart from the main drums.

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

As promised. It's erm... what I could manage in a couple of hours the other night, plus a quick half hour tidy up

:d Cue up the euphemisms ;)

Really dope beat Matt, I really like mate :8

• Like 1

Fucking love your style Broma. How come you ain't soundcloud famous??[/quote

Shucks, thanks man!

Nice beat Rock Well. Really love the breakdown around a minute in. Could see that turning into a dub odyssey ;)

Big ups for getting something in quick too. Really love these battles for that reason - having to smash something out for a deadline. I'm bad at sitting on stuff, picking at it (and probably killing the vibe) and having ideas in my head and never finishing shit. Thanks again for providing the inspiration mate :)

• Like 2

https://soundcloud.com/phoneticbeats/banana-beat

I done a quick beat!

Would of liked to of spent a bit mo time on it. I did it yesterday when I was very very hung over.

It sounds a bit quiet so might wanna turn the speakers up.

Some good samples on this record. The only thing I added was a kick & high hat.

Some dope entries so far!

Edited by Phonetic
  • Like 4

Thanks Broma mate. That's literally the fastest I've even made a beat - even a beat that's only about 15 mins actual work takes me a week or so of general pontificating and farting about.

No worries on setting these up... it turns out that buying records for sampling is much much quicker than actually sampling them, so I've always got a wealth of stuff to get round to. This helps me get round to it and it's nice to share a bit of my occupational resource too. Some of the records I've put up here are new finds, but plenty have been languishing for years on my shelves waiting for something to happen!

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Really smooth dope beat Phonetic, I like it mate :8

Broma touch on something in his post, so I want to elaborate a bit on it without sounding all gay and mushy. But on a real note if it wasn't for Rockwell and his wonderful contribution to this forum by setting up the monthly beat battle for us then my samplers would still be off. Mad love and a huge thanks for giving me that spark again, to motivate and inspire me to switch the MPC's on and get busy. Entered my first battle over a year ago and my samplers have gone from being switched on maybe 2 or 3 times a year to nearly 4 or 5 times a week, seriously I haven't felt this alive, hungry and passionate inside for beat making for years and it's all down to you mate. Just thought I would take this opportunity to say a heart felt and humble thank you! :wub:

On a request note, I think you should pull out some soul for the next round Rocky ;)

• Like 2

Yep-Agree with Psyches comments absolutely.

Theres no way I'd even be making tracks again after a ten year absence if it wasn't for Rock Well and this beat battle thread.

Bob James is still a massive cunt though.

• Like 1

https://soundcloud.com/phoneticbeats/banana-beat

I done a quick beat!

Would of liked to of spent a bit mo time on it. I did it yesterday when I was very very hung over.

It sounds a bit quiet so might wanna turn the speakers up.

Some good samples on this record. The only thing I added was a kick & high hat.

Some dope entries so far!

Wicked vibes man!

Yep-Agree with Psyches comments absolutely.

Theres no way I'd even be making tracks again after a ten year absence if it wasn't for Rock Well and this beat battle thread.

Bob James is still a massive cunt though.

I'm chuffed with this (unlike Bob who's furious from beyond right now).

Without trying to turn this into an episode of My Name is Earl, or invoking the 'k-word', it's all cyclical and believeyou gotta put in to get out. Just good logic. When I first joined this forum was the first time I ever shared a beat publicly, in the scratch beat battle there used to be. I just found this place to be really friendly and not judgemental (despite Doob telling me it was really cliquey and that it would take me at least 4 years to be accepted :d ) and 90% of the beats I've ever finished and shared were for the battles on here. I've learnt loads from the constraints of the battle and I'm still trying to bite you all constantly :p

• Like 1