1. 1. Who's the winner?

• Psychedelic Schizophrenic
    • Forayem (Doob)
    • Pete Sasqwax
    • Diggla
    • Rock Well
    • Broma (Looms)

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

This has got to be the dopest round yet as everyone did a fantastic job IMO on the sample flip, so hard to just narrow it down so I've resulted to a good old fashion illegal betting ring on a slug race :d Only another 6 meters to go lads and petes just edging d00b, with Rockwell a close third. Myself and Broma have yet to wake up, with Dirk slow on the uptake slipping on purple drank, its anyone race for last place.

• Like 2

Daym. Went for Broma coz his stands out as different to everyone elses and he does something to his mixes that makes them sound well nice!

All very good though! I agree with whoever said it was favourite beat psyche had done up till now. Pete kills it in his usual style. Dirka still going in with his raw trap stuff. Really like Rockwell's drums too.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

whoa! heeeeet

im a sucka for not entering - i did start doing a loop pedal thing but for some reason using serato and loopy HD together sounds wack......

this should def go up as a release on band camp, tribute to the ROD. makes a really nice playlist with bromas as the final track.

I think i'm gonna vote for bromas cos it really makes my head nod and wanna walk round baked on a sunny day!

rockwell wins most skratchable pimp beat

dirk wins best club banger

all very very dope!

• Like 3

Fuck this is so hard. There are 4 I really love. Coming down to Broma vs Rock for me as the #1. Difficult to choose tho. Really love Pete's and doobs too.

• Like 1

Wicked work all round fellas. Honestly there's isn't one I'm not into, it's really hard, pretty much impossible decision to just choose one. I'm gonna have to give them some more listens.

Big props once again to Rock Well for putting these together. So much fun to do. And thanks for the votes :$

• Like 1

Well the slug race was a complete and utter disaster, after starting the race we ended up leaving them to finish on there own accord as it was getting late. Unfortunately Dirk's OD on too much purple drank, my slug ended up doing a Charlie Sheen, have a major meltdown and going on off the rails believing the salt circuit track outline was coke. Broma was MIA and Doob sadly ended up next door having a violent turf war with a rival gang of slugs. We searched everywhere for Pete and Rockwell and ended up finding them seductively spooning in the cabbage patch.

Back to the drawing board on who to give my vote too but I know one thing, Rockwell the Axel Nod beat has to go on your next scratch looper without fail!

• Like 2

Voted for Broma, really good use of the samples and the production sounded great as did others but overall it was just the vibe of the track that I liked most.

Broma - mate,your track is well nice and you recieve the vote for my favourite mix from this battle..your tunes got a great quality that reminded me of The Avalanches when they still had something musically relevant to say..super stuff dude !

I also really liked what everyone else has done with the source material here which was a difficult thing to do because yet again its one of those albums thats been plundered to bits down the years,so the fact you all came up with something fresh sounding was very dope.

Good work all round lads.

On a side note I am a total fucktard for not entering the battle - Axelrod is one of my favourite composers..(before Hip Hop was even thought of the man seemed to already have the idea of it in his head ) but I just wasn't satisfied in the end with the audio quality of my own mix ( its been re-recorded since and sounds much sharper now)

The only good thing that came about from not entering is I've more or less completed a further two tracks that came from the remnants of the ideas I had from messing with the samples from the lp as I was super annoyed at fucking things up and locked myself away for a couple of days with the sampler and a pair of headphones while living off a frugal diet of Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodles and chocolate biscuits as my penance with not a single Chinese takeaway menu in sight. :((

yep, same here. they've all got something i really like and have been rinsing them today but still can't choose.

cheers for the kind words kut and dan. looking forward to hearing your reworked track dan. the original was dope as it was :)

God damn this is a tough one to call but I've finally got it down to 2 tracks, hopefully will get my vote in tomorrow.

OK. Right. Dun. Went for Rock's in the end. It's been creeping into my head all day at work, and on that basis it gets the vote. Love the drums too.

All incredibly ill though. Dirks, I love the pacing. Proper little journey styles, and the double time drums over 'that' sample works a treat. Pete's is dripping with atmosphere and grit. And god, those drums. I think I've said it before, but both Pete and Dan should be working on soundtracks. Vibes. Doob's and Psyche's coming with that raw NY vibe. Can really imagine some classic emcees on both of them. Big ups the lot of ya!

• Like 2

Seriously this has to be the best and toughest round to vote for yet, everybody came with the dopeness and everyone deserves a vote IMO.

D00b - Loving this beat D00b as it's got a nice NY feel and vibe too it. Like the way you flipped the sample material and love the drums too. Also I'm really impressed by the mastering on this too. Wicked Job mate.

Pete - As soon as you hit the play button, your engulfed in the that classic "Sasqwax" vibe. A seriously dope track dripping with neck snapping drums, more grit then a quarry and the that ambience we all came to associate with your tracks Pete. It was super close between your track and Rockwell's for the vote.

Dirk "The Dick Fiddler" Diggla - Loving the purple drank trap vibe Dirk, really loving the double time trap drumming and also love the way you flip the sample too. Somehow you always pull the trap genre in great neck nodding taste. (Hehe sorry for the Simpsons reference ;)).

Rockwell - Super jazzy dopeness........ mmmmmmmmmmmmm nice! Really, really nice super chilled out jazzy feel for this track, which makes it nice to relax and unwind too and also nice to have a super slow funky cut up over. Excellent Job mate make sure it goes on your next looper ;)

Broma - Really dope job mate, its a super head nodding beat that has a Sunday stroll around the woods kind of vibe to it. Loving the drums and mastering on this track which made it stand out even more. Fantastic Job mate.

Thanks to everybody for the positive comment on my track, its appreciated. Also looking forward to hearing Dan's remastered version as the original was as dope as fuck.

My vote goes to Rockwell for his smooth jazzy beats, congrats mate :8

(Also forgot to say a big shout to Rockwell for putting these battles together every month, its much appreciated :8 )

• Like 2

Fuck, this is really hard! Spoilt for choice.

The Axelrod sound definitely brought the best out in everyone, it just works in this context. Eventually I had to choose purely on which one I liked the most stylistically, rather than declaring anything 'the best'... on that front my vote goes to Pete by a whisker. The drums are great (as always), especially the hefty snare, but what does it for me is the sound of the slightly ringing bass sound before the drums drop - such a nice sound.