BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - Axelrod Tribute Round

DJ Rock Well

Joe - he was referring to th ASR-10. He did say that although didn't specifically name Ice Cream as the first beat - he just said that the first couple of beats he ever made on the ASR were ones on the Raekwon album and named a couple including Ice Cream. It depends which interview you see too, although he always claims to have spent all night in the studio with the ASR for the first time, smoked a whole big bag of weed and knew the machine inside it and had a finished beat by morning.

That's wicked. I thought for a minute you were saying that Ice Cream was one of the first beats he ever made, which didn't make much sense!

I spent years thinking Ice Cream was a piano sample. Like just over a decade!

Props to RZA though, he really flipped that.

I have huge love for people who go that bit further. The one that still bugs me out is the Mobb Deep "Shook Ones PT 2" Herbie Hancock flip. So ill!

Yeah right. Same goes for Survival of the Fittest - the only way anyone was going to unearth either of those sources was by pitching the Mobb Deep track up and knowing your jazz records!

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

It's tough scanning through such well used rich pickings for this...

Normally I'd cop a record, look for the very best bits to sample and go. But when a lot of the parts that jump out immediately are all ready in well known tracks it's tough, for me it's often the finding of the sample thats a big part of the beat. Equally I could go the other way and be really obscure with what part to chop and how I use it. But then I feel like I'm wasting golden samples and over thinking it, probably resulting in something weaker in the end.

Anyway, that was my yesterday and what I'm getting at is that I've started something!

Yeah I'm feeling that to as there is so much sampling gold on this that been rinsed already, I went for the "can I flip something that someone else has flipped and make something different with it" route on this battle. I taken a very well known sample and built a track around it that. Managed to build the intro up into five nice 4 bar intro sequences, just need to connect the last intro sequence somehow to the the first main 8 bar sequence. The only problem I had so far is a struggling to find a 16 pad mode bassline routine using a few different 808s for it. Apart from that I'm nearly half way there :)

Hahaha ...and just wait until I blow you all out of the water with my track that samples only one note of 'The Sick Rose ... :p

#fightingtalk

Fighting talk, it's more like #handbagsatdawn

I haven't started yet. I'm still on tutorial number 2 in the Maschine manual :d

What????????????????????????? Common Pete I thought your be at least donning your mad scientist lab coat, while doing some fucked up twisted audio experiments of the Maschine uncased being brutality circuit bent and tortured with fire, water and acid into a zillion different guitar pedals, recorded onto a reel to reel tape for your personal pleasure by now mate.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I haven't started yet. I'm still on tutorial number 2 in the Maschine manual :d

What????????????????????????? Common Pete I thought your be at least donning your mad scientist lab coat, while doing some fucked up twisted audio experiments of the Maschine uncased being brutality circuit bent and tortured with fire, water and acid into a zillion different guitar pedals, recorded onto a reel to reel tape for your personal pleasure by now mate.

hehe - don't worry, I've got a chain of guitar pedals and a circuit bent Speak & Spell reading to fold in to the developing mixture, I just can't bring myself to point and click with the Maschine when I have the beauty of the controller to fuck with. Sadly, that kind of shit takes a bit of manual-reading because I don't have the time just to experiment and learn by doing as I would once have done (and did with my 2000XL)

• Like 1

FLIPPIN' BLIMMIN' HECK SOMEONE POST A BEAT ALREADY

I just waded through a page and a half of you lot rubbing helmets over how great the Wizzawecta is, just to get all the way to the bottom and find there isn't a single beat in this thread yet.

I say this as someone with embarrassingly rudimentary production skills who couldn't even begin to do justice to Axelrod, but still...

And also, to join in the derailment for a second, did you guys check out the three volume compilation series, "Shaolin Soul"?

• Like 4

It might look to the casual observer like we're all just blowing smoke up each orther's arses at this stage, but in reality we all really scared that we might be the only one doing this shit each month.

I've heard of 'Shaolin Soul' but no more than that TBH. Happy to be enlightened though!

Guest petesasqwax

I've seen the first 2 volumes of Shaolin Soul but wasn't aware there was a third. I'm never sure how I feel about stuff like that - there have obviously been a load of them over the years (Pete Treats, Tribe Vibes etc.) - but, whilst interesting to hear the ones I wasn't aware of, I'm not sure when I'd ever actually listen to them.

• Like 1

^^^Thats really nice Psyche mate,its a proper head nodder and my favourite out of your beats that ive heard so far i reckon..

My track is also completed so i'll be posting it up this weekend..ive ended up using a Tascam 424 mk 3
4 track tape machine for recording this battle that was purchased for the princely sum of £70 from Cash Converters (its in great condition too ) and it was a hell of a lot of fun to work that way again in what must be the best part of 25 years since i last used a multi-tracker. (although i did only use it in a 2 channel stereo capacity without overdubbing anything extra on the top)

post-3489-0-75636100-1487325898_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

FLIPPIN' BLIMMIN' HECK SOMEONE POST A BEAT ALREADY

I just waded through a page and a half of you lot rubbing helmets over how great the Wizzawecta is, just to get all the way to the bottom and find there isn't a single beat in this thread yet.

I say this as someone with embarrassingly rudimentary production skills who couldn't even begin to do justice to Axelrod, but still...

And also, to join in the derailment for a second, did you guys check out the three volume compilation series, "Shaolin Soul"?

Fucking LOL!

I have the first two Shaolin Soul records on wax. For some bizarre reason they go for insane money on Discogs. As far as soul compilations go, they're pretty good though.

In fact, Vol. 1 is where I got the Nautilus sample from when I made that beat all those years ago. Yeah, that's right. It wasn't the original LP, it was a compilation.

*GASP!*

I don't even own Bob James - One.

*DOUBLE GASP!*

• Like 1

^^^Rock -yeah its a really clean example of the 424 so whoever owned it first took really good care of it.. its got a great warm, but also a very nice gritty sound to it if you need to push the machine a little bit harder

ive also got to say that unwrapping the sealed C- 60 cassette to record onto and popping it into the tape machine felt strangely satisfying in a totally audio nerd type of fashion.. :p

Psyche - I've forbidden myself to listen until I've finished my own nonsense. Looking forward to it though!

Dan - I'm gonna send you any cassettes I find at work now... Max Bygraves, Barbara Dickson, Leo Sayer, that sort of shit ;)

Obviously only the best stuff you can find then .... Leo rocks !

Hahaha ..ive got a Sony Pro in my setup..its actually got one of the first pre recorded tapes I ever bought inside it too at the moment -a Jimi Hendrix greatest hits type of thing I bought when I was like 13 or something.

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Sup yo!!

On the download now. Been away so haven't made anything in about 5 months.

Will see if i can bang something together in the next few days.

Welcome back Fayc, looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

hehe - don't worry, I've got a chain of guitar pedals and a circuit bent Speak & Spell reading to fold in to the developing mixture, I just can't bring myself to point and click with the Maschine when I have the beauty of the controller to fuck with. Sadly, that kind of shit takes a bit of manual-reading because I don't have the time just to experiment and learn by doing as I would once have done (and did with my 2000XL)

Only joshing Pete, How you finding it so far just using the controller to do everything with?

^^^Thats really nice Psyche mate,its a proper head nodder and my favourite out of your beats that ive heard so far i reckon..

My track is also completed so i'll be posting it up this weekend..ive ended up using a Tascam 424 mk 3

4 track tape machine for recording this battle that was purchased for the princely sum of £70 from Cash Converters (its in great condition too ) and it was a hell of a lot of fun to work that way again in what must be the best part of 25 years since i last used a multi-tracker. (although i did only use it in a 2 channel stereo capacity without overdubbing anything extra on the top)

Thanks Dan, actually it's the only beat I done in the last few years that I can say I enjoyed doing. Only used 3 different parts of A Divine Image, chopped and layered a few breaks for the drums, used a couple of 808s, that I stretched and pitched for the bass and used a acapella snippet from the Lord Finesse - Brainstorm/P.S.K (No Gimmicks Remix).

Nice 4 track tape machine, been looking for a cheap but good condition 8 track tape machine to multi track out my 2500 with :)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with too Dan.

PS: Psyche, that beat's dope.

Thanks for the complement Joe, glad you enjoyed it. I'm really starting to enjoy sampling again, hopefully will get my spark back and put it to good use.

Psyche - I've forbidden myself to listen until I've finished my own nonsense. Looking forward to it though!

That's the same principle that I use every battle, looking forward to hearing you track too :)

Shit, didnt notice this till today :(

Still time to flip it Flex :d

• Like 1

Alright fellas, been keeping a low pro round these parts but I'm in on this. Been working on a little something. Also lost something that was sounding quite dope when my comp crashed :(

Looking forward to hearing what everyone comes up with. And that's a sweet beat Psyche :)

• Like 2