New standalone MPCs

Dan

Hi Pete,

That's the same reason why I drop the hardcore HipHop (dark, underground, mostly repetitive almost in my era) to develop more my instrumental and reggae new mood. I still listen some artist when they release something interesting (or old music that I still enjoy like French HipHop) but most Soul, R&B and Indie than my teenage.

Also from the standpoint of tools I see this mpc a very expensive promise. I hope it works and Numark keep it working right but the experience with Numark and bugs don't make me trust so much on nothing they release.

Guest petesasqwax

It's funny you should say that, man. I've always really loved making (and listening to) pretty dark music, but none of it is really related to my mood or mindstate. I can make a totally sombre, melancholy track and have a big smile on my face the whole time I'm doing it. I just absolutely love the aesthetic of dark music. As soon as the skies turn grey, I put on DJ Signify's first album and kind of cosy up way inside the darkness. It's perfect. I'm starting to think this is an unusual/odd thing, though!

• Like 2

I always love that raw gritty dark sound of hip hop beats (old school sixtoo, rza, prunes, old shadow, beatminers & krush etc). Theres just something about it always make me happy!

I think thats why i got the Mpc in the first place!

Choping up drum breaks and layering samples from old movie soundtracks over drums made instant filth!

The mpc did have a little bit if menu diving but that becomes engraved in the memory and once it becomes routined you can make a beat quick.

These newer mpc do look strange. I wouldnt mind giving it demo to see what all the hype is. But i cant see myself dropping $$$ on it.

• Like 1

Some good points here from everyone..

Ive heard a lot of good things about Reaper and the same goes for Ableton which ive used very breifly a couple of months ago but for me personally working with a mouse and a computer drives me up the wall and i'd rather spend the cash I would have to invest on hardware tbh

Using an Sp 404 suits me just fine.. the only drawback is the lack of pitch adjusting abilities but that will be sorted once i pick up my S2000 rackmount sampler that Alecs has kindly given me and ive also found someone who knows what the fuck they're doing whos going to have a look at fixing up my SP 808 EX

Occasionally people say to me I should get with the times and buy an all singing and dancing modern day music making setup but quite frankly i dont want to

because i like to work with samplers,keyboards and old 4 track tape machines,guitar fx pedals and turntables etc

For me its the man not the machine thats most important because at the end of the day its what the individual puts into it anyway and ive seen some of the amazing setups people have in articles and stuff but the majority of these artist couldn't write a note to the fucking milkman in my opinion

Even someone like DJ Shadow ditching the MPC has shown me not to go down that route because quite honestly i think his last few albums without the MPC have been a mess..the latest one especially just sounds like a long bad advert for Ableton to my ears..

Each to his own and all that but as Rock Well said use whatever makes you happy to make music with..

I think the MPC X is a great bit of kit from what ive seen so far from the demos ive watched and personally i would love to own one

You should check out iPads Dan, they are the closest thing to Hardware but still having all the added bonus of software, Elastic drums for instance, once you set it up with a small pad controller and some dials, it's a beast, and in your particular case you really should check out a cheap iPad and the different looper apps, the loopers on IOS are just some proper next level shit that your way of working would really vibe off.

• Like 2

That's how I work now with Blocs Wave and GrouptheLoop...

https://youtu.be/u-Vs2gtP_Ro

I just need that Blocs gain controller support of the launch series like Launchpad app...

But meanwhile there are other apps with full midi support like modstep, AUM or looptunesHd.

Anyways lets hope new mpcs has the thight midi sequencing plus all the promises to be a real continuity from the olds (with jjOS)

realtime timestretch realtime timestretch realtime timestretch, thats all i ever hear from MPC and Maschine heads, and this video shows exactly why it is utter and complete shit, its great for about 10-15 BPM change max, after that it is crap, and non of them just do realtime sync (Resampled) Reaper does it great to be fair, so did Acid.

HipHop and DnB without resample algos, not going to happen.

Also, is it just me, or are they being super super super careful and over accurate with that touch screen ?, some of the button pushes are taking them like 4-5 seconds, if the touch interface isn't a shit ton better than than the MPC Touch, i am losing interest in these things :(

• Like 2

Man it seems like alot of menu diving going on!

For me i need to see some results right away instead of setting stuff up.

Thats one reason why jjos Made the 1000 & 2500 flow better

jjOS wasn't delivered from akai so this new are a remix between whatever they kept from akaiOS and Reinassence series evolution. Almost it seems few glitchy in the video but the screen lag seems common in different videos about mpc live.

• Like 1

You should check out iPads Dan, they are the closest thing to Hardware but still having all the added bonus of software, Elastic drums for instance, once you set it up with a small pad controller and some dials, it's a beast, and in your particular case you really should check out a cheap iPad and the different looper apps, the loopers on IOS are just some proper next level shit that your way of working would really vibe off.

Thats sounds like something I could be interested in ,ive never thought about using iPads but yeah potentially it would probably suit my way of working

Thanks for the advice Flexi,-i'll look into it

• Like 1

Man it seems like alot of menu diving going on!

For me i need to see some results right away instead of setting stuff up.

Thats one reason why jjos Made the 1000 & 2500 flow better

jjOS wasn't delivered from akai so this new are a remix between whatever they kept from akaiOS and Reinassence series evolution. Almost it seems few glitchy in the video but the screen lag seems common in different videos about mpc live.

To be fair, JJOS was partially delivered from Akai, he stole the sources from them because they didn't pay him, or so the story goes.

Let's said it then...

The employee of Akai who was working in the new OS version wasn't payed and he took the OS and sold it via website as jjOS.

We can suspect there was more people in the team? But them we can take some info from LooptunesHd developer who seem worked in that team...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/16867/akais-new-standalone-mpc-looks-awesome/p5

So if the "technician" is the same person we can conclude it was a "one man job" and fired him could be the mainly reason to broke line legacy?

Anyways it seems Akai never fixed Mpc5000 (the same issue?) and launched Reinassence (software based) and now this one with any internal similarities (and maybe helped by windows developers even it seems running linux for other comments in that topic) which could make it better or not but almost unrelated as hardware device, right?

That's my point for those who expect similar perform to old (with or without jjOS) as far as the tech developer from these was fired by Nukai.

Update by Sonicreef (looptunes)

""jj (the Japanese Jenius :wink: ) was involved in the MPC 1000/2500 firmware, and that was before my time.

I joined in 2010 (I actually was the original developer of the software MPC), and left in early 2015.

When I worked there, I was closely looking at JJOS, because there were really good ideas in there.

I don't know how much development effort they are making towards legacy products. I'd think they focus more on the new line of products, instead of dealing with a small percentage of people waiting for a 5000 update.""

The Shadow thing is an interesting one. I can understand that people construe his recent music as being as a result of him switching to Ableton, but, as I'm sure you appreciate, it's entirely possible to make whatever style of beats you want in more or less any production environment you choose to use. The bottom line is: I think he's just making what he likes to hear, which, whilst being far removed from his earlier stuff, is undoubtedly what he's always done, really.

I had a conversation with Rob Squire about why he no longer made Sixtoo music and how much his music had changed etc. He was always one of my favourite producers and him stopping making music in that style always gutted me a bit. In the back of my mind I always hoped that he would change his mind and make more Sixtoo stuff, but I finally understood and accepted that it was probably never going to happen and that, if that was the case, it was ultimately probably a really good thing. The thing was - he made Sixtoo stuff because he was pretty down and depressed much of the time. The music is sombre, dark and gritty - which was a reflection of his mood and his mental state at the time. He doesn't feel like that any more, he just wants to make upbeat stuff that he can play at parties - learning that this was the case, whilst the music he does now is entirely not to my taste, I hope he never does make Sixtoo ever again because I would rather him stay happy :)

Sixtoo is dope, thanks for the background info on the dude.

Guest petesasqwax

I always love that raw gritty dark sound of hip hop beats (old school sixtoo, rza, prunes, old shadow, beatminers & krush etc). Theres just something about it always make me happy!

I think thats why i got the Mpc in the first place!

Choping up drum breaks and layering samples from old movie soundtracks over drums made instant filth!

That sums it up - it makes me happy! I see people posting their favourite albums from their teenage years and although I never bothered doing a list, most of what I was listening to when I was that age was all the shit you just listed. I remember when I first started going through the Mo'Wax stuff - there wasn't a single Prunes track I didn't like. I even got shelled out for the vinyl version of both Headz 2 comps so that I could get the interludes them and Krush did on there. I remember walking home from a friends place in the early hours of the morning with the Meiso LP on my Walkman and I noticed that there was the sound of what appeared to be knives being sharpened layered in on one of the tracks. That shit was so fucking ill! I was pretty heavily stoned and a little paranoid on the dark, empty streets and hearing that was the darkest shit - I fucking loved it!

To be honest, I can't ever imagine I'd get a new model MPC, but the more I think about it, the more I could see myself getting a 1000 before the year is out

• Like 1

Talking of not needing a MPC ...

I still kick myself mentally for buying the SP 808 over the 2000 XL when i was choosing between them both in the music store ...

I definitely picked the wrong 'girl' to take home that evening..

Almost everyone ive spoken too over the years regarding the SP 808 has experienced problems with their machines and mine is sat in the corner not working yet my son has a 2000 XL thats still going strong 20 years later

Big mistake on my part methinks...

After watching the Sonic State first look video, I can honestly say I'd quite like an MPC live. The more I think about having both hardware and software/controller combo in one unit, the more I like it. The few extra live play concessions look nice too. I guess the only real reservation is how well this will be built... I'd definitely let something like this exist for a year or so first too - let somebody else be their beta testers and all that.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

For what it's worth, I did always think the SP-808s looked cool, though. I loved (and still love, even though it's not mine any more) my 2000XL, but I could've talked myself into an SP-808... as well ;)

• Like 1