New standalone hardware Akai MPC coming?

I wonder what's the point when you have everything from Maschine to the OP-1 out there already. Can Akai be innovative? Or just another MPC thing that's antiquated before it even hits the market. Does the MPC Live or Touch even have real time recording and/or looping? That should have been a standard like 15 years ago on all their products for performance based use. Seems like Akai has been stuck in a creative rut for the past 20 years. The DrumBrute looks more interesting to me. And that's just a drum machine.

• Like 1

Nobody really knows anything about this yet, obviously we have all the tech side of it down because of the governments leak, but beyond that all we know is that in standalone mode it wont be running MPC software as it is on the PC/Mac, the arm processor on board is not the right architecture or even fast enough, so it will be interesting to see if they have nailed what sells hardware MPCs in the first place, rock solid MIDI timing.

Although to be fair, we have sample accurate MIDI output now from Expert Sleepers, and that runs inside any DAW, probably one of the most important inventions in recent years and pretty much ignored entirely by the "timing is everything" crowd hahaha

• Like 1

Funny that

1 The leak was from the FCC, nothing to do with Sequencer.de

2 The manual is only for one of them (The MPC Live) the Eclipse was a rumour that started about 10 days ago

Pretty ironic for a magazine called 'Factmag' hahahahaha

Nobody has any idea, the only reason we know it exists is because it was accidentally leaked by the FCC, so we have details on hardware, more details than you would even get on release normally (American government hahahaha, dicks) but we have literally no details at all on software (You do not need to give these details to the FCC for hardware certification)

I'll keep my sexy MPC2000XL.

I have some red "fat" pads and matching nobs for an XL if you want them. Just pay shipping and it's yours. I had them in but took them out and put glow pads in that are unfortunately not fat BUT GLOW. And if you know anything about me it's that I'm a sucker for glowing things. Anywhoo, Seriously. I doubt I'll ever switch it back... will go home and make sure but you can have either the glowing or red fat pads depending on which I decide to keep.

Nobody has any idea, the only reason we know it exists is because it was accidentally leaked by the FCC, so we have details on hardware, more details than you would even get on release normally (American government hahahaha, dicks) but we have literally no details at all on software (You do not need to give these details to the FCC for hardware certification)
http://cdm.link/2014/04/putting-pc-mpc-next-akai-drum-machine-will-run-windows-embedded/

And for the photos of internals that you linked it seems a tablet inside a box.

I'll keep my sexy MPC2000XL. It does all I need and it's really sexy combined with my RC-50 and the C1

Are you using the MPC to (MIDI) control the length of the loop with the RC-50?

I'm curious about that setup too since the RC-50 is fatally flawed IMO with their MIDI sync. I'm assuming the MPC is your master and you're not using the auto feature for a perfect loop.

It is an embed PC, you can go and speak to one of the demo guys from MS over at the GS forum, that prototype is on somebodies desk somewhere apparently, never gets used, and the new versions are nothing like it whatsoever (The prototype had an intel NUC under the desk, this is all confirmed by MS staff who did the demo)

The MPC live has a single board system inside, that yeah you are right, is pretty close to a tablet, but would be a powerful as fuck tablet hahaha, but is Arm and not x86, so the full software unless ported to ARM is not going to be on it.

Buuuuuuuut, they have rewritten it entirely for v2 a wee birdy tells me, so it is possible that it was completely rewritten to be platform agnostic, so yeah some variant of the v2 software may well be running on the ARM.

• Like 2

It is an embed PC, you can go and speak to one of the demo guys from MS over at the GS forum, that prototype is on somebodies desk somewhere apparently, never gets used, and the new versions are nothing like it whatsoever (The prototype had an intel NUC under the desk, this is all confirmed by MS staff who did the demo)

The MPC live has a single board system inside, that yeah you are right, is pretty close to a tablet, but would be a powerful as fuck tablet hahaha, but is Arm and not x86, so the full software unless ported to ARM is not going to be on it.

Buuuuuuuut, they have rewritten it entirely for v2 a wee birdy tells me, so it is possible that it was completely rewritten to be platform agnostic, so yeah some variant of the v2 software may well be running on the ARM.

well software is being ported constantly to arm, that shouldnt be an issue. The issue would be if the cost to port it is worth it compared to the cost reduction of moving to arm hardware . lt probably is imho, as arm socs are quite cheaper than intel ones.

you mean for windows right?

linux is full of arm ports, just check any distro for the arm packages

so is mac because they have their ipads and iphones.

windows doesnt probably just because atm its not worth the investment for them since they really dont have much going in the arm world .

I wont get into if its porting or just rewritting though as the end result is what matters, getting the same software cross platform.