Wrist Pain (caused by scratching)

MadAbbott

Aware that this is probably the worst forum in the world to get a "mature" response to a thread with that title, I'll naively try regardless as it's also the best to get excellent advice! ;-)

For years I've had a lot of pain in my left wrist (I'm right-handed, left hand on record), caused by scratching. If I had to pinpoint something that caused it, it was probably trying to work out how Deska got the snappy wave sound that I've only seen a very limited few replicate and hammering these in unsuccesful attempts. However, my left wrist is so weak and skinny at the best of times which probably didn't help.

(Note to anyone messing with those please do some stretches first, I reckon I wouldn't be in this position if I had).

All the doctor's have said it's not Carpal Tunnel or Arthritis or any of the other scratch DJ type issues, but rather some damaged tendons and the only thing to do is really just stop completely for the best part of 8-12 mths. Whilst I could probably not scratch for that time if I had assurances it would cure it, other things which really set off the pain like just having my wrist on the desk at work, or texting or playing video games/games on my phone still trigger the pain so unless I put it in a splint type thing don't see any relief coming anytime soon.

So figured a lot of people here must have or had at times similar pains when they've overdone it, any tips for pain relief creams/exercises, light wrist strengthening, something to wear that helps etc. I saw Chile uses/used those gloves, anyone else use something similar?

Any tips more than welcome!

I would take the Drs suggestion and lay off it for a while, I didn't, and now i can't even tear a piece of paper in two with outheld fingers because of the arthritis (I come from the days of powercuts, there where no flairs and such to save you hands hahaha, and stupidly my favourite thing was transforming)

Edited by Flexinoodle
  • Like 1

Damn sorry to hear that. oh right, so it's the fader hand that you have trouble with? yeah it's funny how the smallest of movements ache the most, like just separating two sheets of paper with my thumb & finger

Nah, both my hands are shot to shit, i did a lot of finger drags on the deck hand, those combined with smashing joypads and stuff over the years, it all builds up haha, you can't actually visually see it yet (No James Coburn yet) except on the joints, they kind of stick out like fuck.

When musicians play what they are basically doing is athletics of the hands

I would include scratch DJs in this catergory as well because of the many different hand movements and manipulations involved

Many Jazz musicians suffer from continious discomfort and pain often because of the unatural positioning of the fingers and the improvised chord structures involved

The only things that i know of which usually relieve these symptoms are cortisone injections

Theres also something called the Alexander technique which is basically a series of excersises that help to alieviate the pain caused by heavy woodshedding

Carpal tunnel syndrome and other injuries have affected a few musicians ive known personally over the years

in some cases a sports doctor may be a better option than a regular GP so you could consider that route as an alternative also

I dont know very much about the Alexander technique alternative tbh but theres a lot of info online and I think also a book which has been published a while ago

Hope this helps somewhat

• Like 1

As a footnote there is a device made for guitarists which is basically a hand and wrist strengthening thing that you could try using and you use this to push down the fingers of your fretting hand

I cant remember the name of the company that makes them but a quick search of the web should be easy enough to find out

Ive never used one of these devices but ive known quite a few players who have and recommend them highly

My problems these days amount to slight discomfort in my fingers from time to time especially if i havent played for a while or its a particularly cold day ( I dont think years and years working on building sites in bad weather has done me a good service tbh lol ) in which case ill warm up gently and dont push it too hard to begin with and just ease into it gradually instead

• Like 1

As a footnote there is a device made for guitarists which is basically a hand and wrist strengthening thing that you use to push down the fingers of your fretting hand I cant remember the name of the company that makes them but a quick search of the web should be easy enough to find out

Great tips thanks very much, yeah I need to start with something really gentle and try and build some strength again

• Like 1

Try

www.rockrun.com

the name of the device is called the Gripmaster and they retail for about £11 ive just found out

ahhh good thinking. I've actually got the red gripmaster somewhere but the tension is a bit high to use without pain - Would like to find an easier one though definitely.

I actually have a similar injury in my left wrist / fader hand from work /sports.
I use a gyro exerciser.
https://www.rei.com/product/890386/dfx-sports-fitness-sports-pro-gyro-exerciser-hand-and-arm-strengthener?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8903860001&CAWELAID=120217890000819025&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15877507240&CATCI=pla-70394108320&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

It works your wrist/hand more than your fingers. It takes some getting used to spining the inner ball but you control how hard you spin it. Really helped my wrist pain.

• Like 1

I went through a similar thing. I was getting bad pains in my right wrist and in the centre of the palm of my right hand ("wanker's cramp" joke opportunities galore in this thread). I had a test for carpal tunnel and it came back clear.

What sorted it for me was switching to a trackball for PC use instead of a mouse, and cutting right back on scratching and gaming for quite a few months. Once the pain had been gone for quite some time, I started exercising with a Powerball and doing some wrist curls. I've not had a problem since.

Guest broke

I hadn't had any pain or fatigue in my hands or arms for years, until I started to learn those wave tear things you were talking about in your original post.

I'd take the doctor's advice and take it easy for a while.

I hadn't had any pain or fatigue in my hands or arms for years, until I started to learn those wave tear things you were talking about in your original post.

I'd take the doctor's advice and take it easy for a while.

This is good to know, as I've been learning these recently. They don't feel too natural at all. Did you get the pain in your wrist too? Seems like the action is in the palm of your hand more than the wrist.

Rob you could try one of these. They're for strengthening both sets of muscles in your fingers. I think the problem with those grip masters and stress ball things is they only build up one set of muscles. "I have been very critical of repetitive grip environments and ‘grip-only’ exercise/training that overworks/brings imbalance to the palmar musculature and soft tissue (causing repair tissue change and adhesions) and minimizes blood flow & draining (due to ‘grip-only’ small ROM environment, where there is no attention to opening of the hand against resistance)"

http://www.handmasterplus.com/category/latest_post/

• Like 1

Guest broke

Did you get the pain in your wrist too? Seems like the action is in the palm of your hand more than the wrist.

The pain was mainly in my wrist

I was going to suggest that "scratching" was purely code wording for other unsavory activities, but since everyone is being serious, so shall I.

I would like to ask if deck height is helpful in anyway for those who experience discomfort in the wrist? I notice that using setups that are too low, causes pain in the tendons above the hand. When my decks are at "cloud height" as they are now (super high) I don't get bad posture or pain from "scratching" :8 at all and never have.

Maybe if the problems are there already it may be irrelevant, but I think it's always worth a try.

Scratching on low tables would be like giving rick waller a reach-around... so Mo and Rocky tell me.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

yeah i've had some pain in fingers and knuckles in both hands. i have mostly tried

taping my index finger to my middle finger for a week or two to stop it being strained in day to day use.

getting an ergonomic mouse at work and a wrist rest for my keyboard.

trying to use the track pad on my laptop less

and learning more efficient ways of doing scratches - practicing how to do things really lightly particularly the fader. trying to do things fast without doing them hard if that makes sense

• Like 2

Rob you could try one of these. They're for strengthening both sets of muscles in your fingers. I think the problem with those grip masters and stress ball things is they only build up one set of muscles. "I have been very critical of repetitive grip environments and ‘grip-only’ exercise/training that overworks/brings imbalance to the palmar musculature and soft tissue (causing repair tissue change and adhesions) and minimizes blood flow & draining (due to ‘grip-only’ small ROM environment, where there is no attention to opening of the hand against resistance)"

http://www.handmasterplus.com/category/latest_post/

Thank you mate I will try anything at this point!

It was definitely one of two techniques that did the damage, trying to do the snap-tear reverse og flares Hertz does or Deska's bumpy knuckles/wave tear thingy. The worst thing is i knew this; these small tendons in the wrist only need very slight strain/unusual movements to do damage so I have no idea why I pushed em so hard to try to get the techniques down. All I can say is do some stretches and you should be fine... I do them now before really working my record hand and I'm not in too much pain, but the pain comes the next day or later when I'm sat at a desk.

Eric - good point about the deck height. It is probably a very important thing to consider and i hadn't. I'm quite tall and most deck set ups are a nightmare for me but it's usually back/neck pain that leads to a headache guaranteed! but you're right, they say you must try and keep your forearm and upper arm at a right angle (as much as possible). Also appreciate the efforts you must have gone to not to lower the tone of the thread ;-)

All good points Sy too , it's amazing how linked the two are, scratching and video gaming/typing/desk work and how doing one badly will affect the other

Hey Rob! I have a similar situation with my right hand (record hand). My joints have a bigger distance on the right wrist and there's a popping noise when I move my wrist full distance. I went to the doctor and suggested the powerball thing. He said that I have loose joints and if I strengthen my muscles around the wrist the distance between will become smaller and avoid this. I noticed when trying to use the powerball once I day my wrist doesn't disturb me anymore.

Apart of scratching, using my macbook's trackpad the wrong way is causing most of the pain (having my wrist on the right side scrolling at a 90 degree angle). I guess that might be the culprit.

Thanks Jason I will give that a try, I forgot to mention I think what's happened to my left wrist is another good reason to scratch strong hand on record as all those little tendons would be a lot more used to movements and less susceptible to injuries, although it seems to have affected you too and you use your strong hand right?