Faster stabs...

JHouse

While I appreciate complicated combos and what not, I have the most respect for fast fuckin' stabs. Mine are weak. I've heard stabs are basically a half chirp, and while I consider my chirps to be nice and consistent, my stabs just don't cut it. I've been consistently cuttin' to slower beats, so maybe return to the fast shit? Anybody have some tips?

Dee Swift had mad fast and clean stabs, and I prolly respect his the most. That's what I'm after.

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

Yeah working towards clean balanced skribbles is what im working towards.... and working with the "half a chirp" idea should also mean the fader hand isnt really tense, fast doesnt mean hard :)

Guest Symatic

Rather than busting them all out at the same speed you might find it helpful to vary the speed, timing and pitch of your stabs, to get yourself used to the idea. It's also sounds funkier :)

listen to this dude joe, he knoooooooows what he's talking about

I like stabs because they're pretty much a pure power move. That's the shit that separates the men from the boys. I'm sort of like teenager when it comes to them. Hehe.

My advice with fast stabs is just to knuckle down and feel the burn. I was mostly self-taught for about 4 years and then I started cutting with DJ Select of the Muzikfiendz. What I learned from him is that if you're not getting a workout when you're scratching then you're not trying hard enough. Sore arms, out of breath, sweating, ... that's where I think you need to be to learn fast stabs.

Slow record speed seems to help me for some reason. Some of it is also illusion. Like cutting over electro, if you time/place things right then they sound faster because of the way they sit in the track.

DJ Shadow is the king of the fast stab as far as I'm concerned.

I like stabs because they're pretty much a pure power move. That's the shit that separates the men from the boys. I'm sort of like teenager when it comes to them. Hehe.

My advice with fast stabs is just to knuckle down and feel the burn. I was mostly self-taught for about 4 years and then I started cutting with DJ Select of the Muzikfiendz. What I learned from him is that if you're not getting a workout when you're scratching then you're not trying hard enough. Sore arms, out of breath, sweating, ... that's where I think you need to be to learn fast stabs.

Slow record speed seems to help me for some reason. Some of it is also illusion. Like cutting over electro, if you time/place things right then they sound faster because of the way they sit in the track.

Faster than Shortkut?

I still remember when everyone cheered at a Rock Hard Bastards event just coz D busted some of the funkiest stabs ever.

Faster than Shortkut?

I still remember when everyone cheered at a Rock Hard Bastards event just coz D busted some of the funkiest stabs ever.

Watch from 2:00 on as it gets more insane. Love the grimace on his face, haha.

https://youtu.be/A1VqYac-i0Y

• Like 1

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Damn that''s some stupid nice stabs right thur.

I still think Shortkut is best, tho, like Doobage.

My tip would be to try and relax as much as possible. This is a tip i hardly ever take myself, but it always pays off when i do.

Edit: I've watch the stabs from 2;10 about 12 times in a row. I know what i'm gonna practice today.