Hoooowwww does he do that?

d00ban

OK, so I don't like the sound of most beat juggling, I'd much rather be able to do this:

But I have no idea how to go about doing it! Can any one actually do this and care to explain the basics? I know he's essentially looping but how does he know where the beats gonna drop everytime when the record keeps spinning like that?

I'm pretty rubbish at working these things out, I always need to be shown stuff but an explaination would be nice, thanks!

lol that be easy peasy stuff bro, he just knows where the beat is and he is dropping it in sync,

kinda like chasing or whatever.

im too dumb to explain it in a good way but its pretty standard stuff,

somebody do a better job than me at explaining this lol

you need to juggle more nd youll get it in a short time.

I actually think he could probably do a pretty good job with a record he's never heard before as he's monitoring with the headphones all the time. On the scratchcon dvd both him & melo d talk about it and j rocc is constantly switching between channels on the headphones where as melo say he listens to both channel at the same time, either way I find it fucking hard trying listen in the headphones while doing any sort of juggling (even if its simple) cos I get confused with the extra sound source.

i expect loads of dj's can do it but its kinda like an intro to a proper juggle rather than a juggle itself,

chasing the break is old as donkies, just juggles have obviously moved on since then so peeps tend to overlook that stuff and

head straight for the more techy shit.

those are like the first things i learnt, and then i moved onto patterns etc.

i personally arnt that impressed by it, i would kinda get annoyd in a club if a dj did that for 5 mins.

i think the reason why a lot of djs dont do this is because its considered the training wheels version of juggling. its the only way i can "juggle" myself. the issue here of course is j-roccs proficiency; it would take practicing each "juggle" hundreds of times before executing it that well. and i believe that is exactly what he does.

i think watching waves in traktor would help out a lot too...

Guest Symatic

i love that style of djing, and to answer doobs question, he knows where the beats gonna drop cos he's using one of the most juggled breaks of all time and he'll know it inside and out. ive seen a few performances where he rocks variations on that juggle.

with different bpm's you start to learn that there are a certain amount of rotations per bar of the beat, so 4 bars of that break which is at about 120bpm translates to about 5 rotations, so you can just learn the amount of times you need to spin it back to get back to the 1.

with a 90 bpm beat, if you look at the sticker it will be at 12 o clock on the 1 beat, then at about 5 or 6 oclock on the next 1.

you just learn these things through practice, drill them into your brain, then you can start freestyling with those guidelines in place.

eventually with your favourite breaks you'll just know what to do, like it jumps and you can sometimes just tell its jumped forewards or backwards. if you grip the record lightly you can sometimes feel the prominent beats vibrating through the record as the needle plays them, so you can get away with not using the headphones from time to time

i personally arnt that impressed by it, i would kinda get annoyd in a club if a dj did that for 5 mins.

Not as annoyed as if someone juggled for 5 mins ...

Guess I'm a sucker for cleanliness, that's why I think this is so impressive. I'd much rather see something simple done perfectly than some complex techy shit done poorly.

Like if you watch the second video he does it again, but always brings it back to a different part of the record. So he's looping but slowly moving through the record. I always thought of this as trick mixing not juggling at all.

Would love to see a vid Elgee! Post a phile!

have you ever seen my dmc routine?

im pretty sure i couldnt do it now, but after abit of practice i could pick it up again. (not with apache, im talking windowlicker here)

what he was doing there was doubling up and basic juggling, you've always thought juggling is harder than it is. and thanks for the for the vote of confidence, you bellend.

AND have you even tried or did u just look at the vid and go 'nope, cant do that' trial and error motherfucker

Lol, yes I have seen you juggle ie why I know you can't do this (sighs)

I just don't get juggling, I can't wrap my head round it like I can scratching. Although I guess i didn't understand that at first. I need to be explained things to understand them though, I'm no good at figuring shit out for myself. There's no DIY for juggling like there is for scratching. I don't really want to learn to juggle to much any way, just do what he's doing :)

well just practice that then.

you have serato so can literally double up every track. just start super basic and work ur way up.

i to reiterate, i def couldnt do it now, (i haven juggled properly since 2007) but i understand whats going on. its like anything, just takes some actual practical practice.

I'm sorta kinda with jimmy on this one. I can do basic looping. Are we talking just letting a 1, 2 or 4 bar section play then playing it on the other turntable while spinning the original one back to the start?

I can definitely do that using marked up records. It does take some practise and you need to remember the number of rotations but you can learn it in about an hour. I learnt on Johnny the Fox.

I'm sorta kinda with jimmy on this one. I can do basic looping. Are we talking just letting a 1, 2 or 4 bar section play then playing it on the other turntable while spinning the original one back to the start?

That is the basics of it. Mix in some doubling/tripling of kicks and/or snares and little bits of scratching with it and you're pretty much there.

The bit in this vid from 4:00-4:30 has some nice snare fuckery in it: -

Yeah, that's an intense version of it, but if you learn how to do it you just do it a little bit here and there, rather than the way he's doing it. In the first vid in this thread, he's doing a variation of those techniques at 8 seconds, 21 seconds, 29 seconds, 43 seconds, and 1:08.

I can loop (obviously) and fuck with snares/ do some doubling patterns. But that's only on the first 4 bars. Any thing beyond that and I loose the cue points because they always move. I guess that's why I'm confused by J Rocc, coz he can do it right through the track without ever seeming to loose his cue points.... But then I guess it comes back to what Tom said and him using head phones.

For the record I think understanding it and being able to do it are very different things. I can see how he's doing it but I can't get it to sound like that at all.

with different bpm's you start to learn that there are a certain amount of rotations per bar of the beat, so 4 bars of that break which is at about 120bpm translates to about 5 rotations, so you can just learn the amount of times you need to spin it back to get back to the 1.

I've not been juggling for very long, less than two years, but what Symatic describes here I can relate to. I found once you get used to how the main beats (I mean the 1/4 and 1/8 notes) fall visually on a record at a certain bpm you can work out a basic juggle/trick mix with a new song at a similar bpm. I then found that as I practiced more I was able to do the manipulating for tapping etc without looking because I've become accustomed to the technique and timing for that bpm. For example, I have a new juggle routine where I go through about 16 bars of a track doing different juggle tricks throughout the song, in this case I have just memorised where all the first beats of each of the bars land. I'm now confident that I could perform similar tricks with another track of a similar bpm and structure. J-Rocc has either done that and can now double up most bpms with ease, or, as symatic suggests, this is a rehearsed routine that he can freestylea bit.

I'd get really confused hearing both signals at once trying to monitor on headphones. I tend to use my laptop screen in serato as an extra reference if I was doing something unrehearsed in a club, but I'd like to be able to do it as much as possible just by looking at the stickers/vibing off the tracks.

@Jimmy. could you post your dmc routine please? I'm not doing my standard 'post a file' trolling here, I don't think I've ever seen it and am really interested in seeing it. I saw your wank sock routine in the dj battle tv coverage of the gong battle, and I think you might have shown me your aphex juggle when we first met, but I don't thin I've ever seen the whole thing in full and I'd really like to.

@Jimmy. could you post your dmc routine please? I'm not doing my standard 'post a file' trolling here, I don't think I've ever seen it and am really interested in seeing it. I saw your wank sock routine in the dj battle tv coverage of the gong battle, and I think you might have shown me your aphex juggle when we first met, but I don't thin I've ever seen the whole thing in full and I'd really like to.

blimey, we're going back there. I can vaguely remember the gong battle footage, and i remember seeing some photos to but i dont know what happened to them.

regarding my routine, i'll have a think, im not sure if i can remember the whole thing and it'd take some practice to get it acceptable again.

i remember using four tet 'as serious as your life' and 'my angel rocks back and forth', the 'windowlicker' juggle, a diss and a smaller juggle from a prefuse 73 album. i cut a flute over something aswell... this is proving quite hard!

EDIT: i did some drumming with something to. bloody hell, i cant remember half the records i used, im curious myself now. im gonna put out there i did a Dabrye juggle to.