Fitting a Shure M44-7 Cartridge to a Numark PT-01 or Ion Portable Turntable

Ethanol

I follow a guy on Instagram who I noticed was using Shure M44-7 cartridges on his Numark PT-01's (He actually has two and plays out on them! check out his feed 'deejaystathis'on IG ) I messaged him for some info and he sent some pics. He basically cut off the front cartridge retaining clip and used electrical tape to stick the M44-7 cart on. I wanted to do the same but wanted it to be something reversible.

I had a spare cartridge laying around that had actually come away from its mounting years ago and I had glued it back on so knew it was possible to separate the 2 parts

Check out my Imgur gallery for my pictures of how I did it.

http://imgur.com/a/OccC3

Results are ok, the output is much lower than the original cartridge but tracking is much better and the benefit of being able to see the stylus tip is better for needle dropping

Props to DJ Stathis (deejaystathis on IG) from Greece for the inspiration for this mod

Edited by Ethanol
  • Like 1

Guest rasteri

By the way, the low output could be compensated for by adding more gain after the transistor, easily acheivable with a couple of op-amps (or my PCB when it gets manufactured).

• Like 1

By the way, the low output could be compensated for by adding more gain after the transistor, easily acheivable with a couple of op-amps (or my PCB when it gets manufactured).

Yeah my electronics knowledge is pretty thin so I'll probably have to wait for your board although I can follow instructions and wield a soldering iron.