USB-C Audio Interface Suggestions?

djdiggla

I wouldn't think so.. at least not for me since i'm just doing normal CD quality. But my new computer ONLY has USC-C aka Thunderbolt 3 (fuck you Apple!) ...so my old Apogee Duet is FW400... so I either need to get two adapters since there is no such thing as a FW to USB-C cable (FW>Thunderbolt + Thunderbolt to USB-C/TB3) and then hope that frankenstein shit works... OR... abandon ship and get a USB-C audio interface. I guess I could get a plain USB or thunderbolt audio interface too--pretty sure they make cables for those to USB-C... but figure if I'm gonna buy something new I'd look for USB-C connect-ability first.

Guest rasteri

I wouldn't base my audio interface buying decision on the connector type, there's far more important stuff to consider. I'd say just buy a normal USB audio interface - USB-C to USB-B/mini/micro cables are a very standard and cheap thing, they're entirely passive so no need for expensive adapters.

I doubt many audio manufacturers will switch to USB-C for a while, there's no real advantage (USB-C is mainly useful for small/high-power devices like phones/cameras) and USB-B is kinda a standard in audio already.

you just buy a male usb (whatever format) to usb-c, and it works all the same as regular usb 2?

This

Yeah USB is backwards comparable but my interface is firewire and IDK if it's gonna be all wonky going through 2 cables and 2 adapters.

That said, if I get something new that's regular USB 2.0 (and used a 2.0 to C cable) what's a good one? All I've ever used is apogee so a USB Duet would be my default... what else plays well with mac?