Sending midi clock .

I'm using the Traktor master tempo to send a midi clock signal (I've mapped the send function to the Z2) back to the same computer that is running Traktor. Using synth software and arpeggiators with a midi clock is very new to me, I've downloaded one of the first freebees that is Mac compatible that I could find (Hypercyclic). I managed to set it up so the midi clock signal is sending and linked up to the software synth arpeggiator (when i adjust the master tempo in Traktor, it adjusts on the software sythn as well). The problem I'm having is I'm not getting the audio of the software synth as soon as I switch over to virtual output as a midi in. The signal getting sent, just not getting played back.

It's the first attempt at trying to clock stuff up, I don't have any hardware I can do it with, so I'm giving it a try with software.

If you have any suggestions to give me on getting a midi clock signal functioning with a software synth, please let me know and I'll give it a try. I'll keep having a play, I'm certain I just have something set incorrectly as It's all quite new to me.

MIDI clock can be a bit fiddly as different machines/programs can respond differently. It perhaps sounds like Tractor is not sending a start message which the the synth needs. Its been years since I've used Traktor though. Does the clock sync to a deck? If so does the arp work if the deck is playing?

MIDI clock can be a bit fiddly as different machines/programs can respond differently. It perhaps sounds like Tractor is not sending a start message which the the synth needs. Its been years since I've used Traktor though. Does the clock sync to a deck? If so does the arp work if the deck is playing?

The clock is sending fine, as there is a visual image of the synth arp that I am trying to slave that shows it's BPM is in sync to the Traktor master clock. It's something else that I'm missing. I had a play with my computer's Audio Midi Setup and tried different set-ups to see why the signal is not going back. One possible scenario is that it requires a VST plugin, as the synth tones being used by the sythn arp might not work when I'm using it as a slave, I might need to assign a VST plugin to it (which I've tried without success). I've made most of that up as I'm on page 2 of the how to do shit with Midi book, but I'll keep at it and keep trying to talk to humans who know what they doing. The clock syncs to the deck, and also syncs to the arp as I can visually see, it just won't play the audio. I'll try a different software synth tomorrow and see if I have any more success.

So it could be more of an audio issue. Whats the full set up? Is the synth a VST hosted in a DAW? For me using WIndows I can't have two programs trying to access the same soundcard with the same ASIO drivers. If i wanted play a synth in my DAW while simultaneously using Serato for instance I would have to use a seperate soundcard to hear the audio.

Mike has it

While it may be receiving Tempo information it may not be receiving a trigger to start, if it is hardware then plug in a set of headphones direct to hear if the synth is playing

If it is a software synth, ASIO is single source only on most interfaces, there is a cool trick around that however.

1 Download Reaper (It is payware but the demo never runs out and works fully)

2 Instead of using your usual ASIO driver in Traktor, look for one called REARoute (It got installed with Reaper)

3 Create a new track in Reaper and set its input to the same as the REARoute ASIO channel you used for Traktor

4 Reaper is now your ASIO driver, so not only can you route multiple ASIO capable software in to it and use it as an audio hub, it has a great desk/routing and you can load FX instruments whatever ;)

Mike has it

While it may be receiving Tempo information it may not be receiving a trigger to start, if it is hardware then plug in a set of headphones direct to hear if the synth is playing

If it is a software synth, ASIO is single source only on most interfaces, there is a cool trick around that however.

1 Download Reaper (It is payware but the demo never runs out and works fully)

2 Instead of using your usual ASIO driver in Traktor, look for one called REARoute (It got installed with Reaper)

3 Create a new track in Reaper and set its input to the same as the REARoute ASIO channel you used for Traktor

4 Reaper is now your ASIO driver, so not only can you route multiple ASIO capable software in to it and use it as an audio hub, it has a great desk/routing and you can load FX instruments whatever ;)

Bam! Thanks man, I'll give it a try.

I'm in the middle of dismantling and selling off my studio (thank f**k, no recording screaming punk a-holes with zero talent hahaha) but if you get stuck let me know, i will try to record you a tutorial if i can find the main windows comp.

I'm in the middle of dismantling and selling off my studio (thank f**k, no recording screaming punk a-holes with zero talent hahaha) but if you get stuck let me know, i will try to record you a tutorial if i can find the main windows comp.

Thank man, If I get stuck I'll hit you up on it. I'll start with trying to go through the basics and see if I can figure it out. Level of complicated seems to be more than making a grill cheese, and less than building a rocket.