New beat tape 😱

Chris

I decided in the first week of January that either I start making music again or I stop properly, because that uncomfortable feeling of unfulfilment from not doing something you tell yourself is a part of you was starting to get to really get to me...

So I decided to set myself a bit of a challenge, and I'm going to make some kind of 'thing' every month this year - whether it's an album, ep, beat tape, live performance, whatever. Not just 'a song', though. The point, I think(? I'm not sure myself) is to set an unrealistic goal and improve by failing. This month has definitely felt like exercising after a long period of sitting on my arse: painful and tiring and difficult, but not without satisfaction of having actually done it and looking forward to doing better next time..!

The main failure this month, apart from missing my own deadline by a few hours, is sound quality - it's truly awful. I'm hoping next month I'll be able to improve on this by being more mindful of what I'm doing as I'm doing it. If nothing else this has really made me realise how long it's been since I actually finished anything, and how slack those muscles get when you don't actually have a finished product in mind. Other than that it's a bit higgledypiggeldy, I had a bit more of a flow in mind but I ran out of time.

Anyway here it is, let me know what you think if you listen!

Month 1:

Month 2:

• Like 8

Guest petesasqwax

Dude - I fucking love this concept and huge props to you for it. I have no concerns about the sound quality - lofi is my shit - and my first few minutes of listening to it have yielded both smiles and head noddery. I'll bump it properly through the headphones at work, but initial thoughts are: fuck yes!

What's your production process for this, if you don't mind me asking? Not that it matters at all, that stuff just intrigues me is all

• Like 1

Thanks gents, I really appreciate it!

Pete - I'll post in the process thread in detail when I get a sec. this one has been a scrappy mess of pulling audio in from maschine patterns, bussed ableton patterns, salvaging an mpc loop in one instance... then importing into Traktor and messing with pitch and eq of finished tracks and recording semi live. generally I used to have a fairly solid workflow and one thing I need to do if I'm going to complete something monthly is get things in order!

I decided in the first week of January that either I start making music again or I stop properly, because that uncomfortable feeling of unfulfilment from not doing something you tell yourself is a part of you was starting to get to really get to me...

So I decided to set myself a bit of a challenge, and I'm going to make some kind of 'thing' every month this year - whether it's an album, ep, beat tape, live performance, whatever. Not just 'a song', though. The point, I think(? I'm not sure myself) is to set an unrealistic goal and improve by failing. This month has definitely felt like exercising after a long period of sitting on my arse: painful and tiring and difficult, but not without satisfaction of having actually done it and looking forward to doing better next time..!

I'm in a similar place with music making. The main thing stopping me at the moment is not having my studio set up. I do still have software on my laptop, but it's not the same as being surrounded by equipment and being in the "zone". Giving yourself deadlines is perhaps the best motivation ever to get shit done!

Props on the new project mate, looking forward to hearing more!

Guest Symatic

hey chris, pro tip here: get a one shot sample of your name and keep hitting it whenever a new track starts to let everyone know you're producing the track. #pro #beattape #JustProducerThings

• Like 3

Cheers Phology and Darcy! I think the mentality of pushing harder than 'feels' reasonable is the only way forward with a lot of stuff - I guess if you're framing your goals in terms of what you can already do then youre not pushing yourself to progress beyond it... or something.

Excellent tip Sy. I might get one of those 'you're listening to' v/o s done ironically by a drive time radio voice artist as well, I think they're pretty hip.

Very nice idea! Love the first instalment. I decided to do something similar to get out of my rut. One mixtape per month with songs I listen to that month. I am hoping by doing that I can improve my mixing skills and keep an ear out for new music.

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Great work Chris, I really enjoyed the 1st beat and overall it was a great listen. I'm looking forward to the next one :8

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh, I can't believe I was already late with this. I made a full track instead of getting this 'out of the way' when I could just have easily have done them the other way around!

Anyway it's here, I'll post everything in here so as not to clutter up the forum. How do I change the title of the post?

Interested in what you reckon, I think it's probably better than the first one. I doubt they'll all be hip hop, but I'll probably have enough material to put together a full hour of coherent stuff by the end of the year....

• Like 2