Nintendo's new NX rumoured to by a hybrid handheld that uses cartridges

Steve

Supposedly it will be a handheld with detachable controllers. You can detach the controllers, then place the main part of the unit in a docking station when you want to play it on a TV. The games will come on 32GB cartridges and the system will be powered by NVIDIA's Tegra chip, so it'll be considerably weaker than the PS4 and Xbox One, although as handhelds go it'll be powerful.

What do you guys think? Nintendo keep trying these different ideas, but I dunno - do people really want something like this? If it was super powerful, maybe, but it's gonna suck as a console to use in the living room (again).

• Like 1

I'd heard the same but not as much detail about the controllers etc.

I think the success for failure will all come down to two three things: Execution and proper marketing. And price point. The WiiU was too expensive. $200-$250 USD is the sweet spot.

The WiiU is an amazing system but was marketed so poorly that most people didn't realize it was a different system than the Wii. Nintendo doesn't need to be the most powerful system to be successful and frankly, trying to boat-race Sony and MS is a fools errand. They have the most (and by far best) exclusives of anyone. That's just fact. What they are doing is really smart--the best part about my WiiU is playing it like a handheld while I casually watch TV (or someone else is using the same TV). The downfall IMO is I can't walk it over to my bedroom. This will allow that. And probably the smartest part of this shift is they are giving developers one platform so the system should have plenty of games instead of developers choosing DS or U or both or just fuck it all together. I really think this results in more games and better games. The WiiU is already toeing the line.

I think if there's one thing Nintendo is good at it's thinking outside the box and executing well. But the execution will really be important with this. They are shifting to essentially a handheld market that's pretty empty. I don't know a single person other than myself with a PSP or Vita and lets face it, Nintendo has ALWAYS dominated the handheld market. I hate my fucking PSP. The battery life sucks and it's nowhere near as unique of a system. Even as far back as the DMG Gameboys they were smoking Sony.... Same shit. Monocrome with no backlit screen beating a full color backlit system at every turn. They have mastered a unique niche.

I'm hoping they continue on with external HD expandability, backwards comparability (maybe this is a docking station feature), controllers that can be carried forward (if desired) and free online play.

To me what they are doing is really exciting. Personally I think it will be great regardless of if it's a commercial hit. But I really hope it is for their sake.

I'm never buying a PS4 or Xbone. I'm not paying out the nose and I'm not paying for online. If that's the direction it's going then I'm building a PC or getting a Steambox.

but it's gonna suck as a console to use in the living room (again).

You thought the U sucked as a living room console? I think it's rad personally. Obvo you are not going to have FPS titles but that's never been a successful genre for Nintendo.

I do think it sucks, yeah.

What I want from Nintendo is a home console that keeps up with the other 2 in terms of power and online services. While having Nintendo exclusives is a plus, there are tons of great third party games released for Xbox One/PS4/PC (or some combination thereof) that never make it onto Nintendo's consoles, so if I had a Wii U I'd only fire it up rarely to play a Nintendo exclusive. There's no point playing other games on it if they're available elsewhere. The other consoles have some great exclusives too, so there you're getting solid exclusives AND the biggest and best third party games.

18 months ago I had 25-30 Xbox Live friends because I only played with real life friends and the odd DVer. Now I have over 350 and I've got really big into online gaming, so I need a console that has a robust online system. One where I can party up and have a laugh with friends in voice chat, which I do several times a week. I arrange a gaming session on a certain night, start a party, and people jump in and out of it as the night progresses. We play different games, some people might drink, some people might smoke some weed, we talk shit, we joke around, we have a laugh. Nintendo doesn't design consoles for people who want to do that kind of thing, but in 2016 lots of people want to do that kind of thing. I'd love to play Mario Kart 8 with friends like that, but Nintendo only let you voice chat in the lobbies in between races. The social aspect of the console is seriously neutered.

If the NX comes out and the rumours are true, it will do well because of the "handheld" part, not because of the "can be connected to a TV" part.

You have a WiiU tho, right? Or at least have played one a fair amount? Curious because I've never heard a person who has actually played it say it sucks.

It's definitely different. I would argue it's the truest form of a social console. It's pretty much designed to be a party console just like the Wii. Have people over, goof around and play fun games anyone can get into. It's an experience you will never ever get from Sony or MS. I can't tell you how many times I've had people over and we're all hype about playing PS3 or whatever then I remember half the games are single player only. And the other half or too damn difficult unless you've played it a bit before. Nintendo games you can play locally on one system with 4-8 people easily. I think this is great. My understanding is you live in a smaller town so I can see why this isn't what you'd be wanting tho and that's justified.

I think it would be a mistake tho for Nintendo to try and go head to head with the other two systems. For one, they are not known for that and I think it would be difficult to convince gamers (who are relatively brand loyal) to choose them over whatever else. Power alone isn't the ultimate deciding factor with a system anyways or you'd probably have a PS4 not a One. And besides most of that doesn't even matter because it's ultimately up to developers. IMO it wouldn't help Nintendo to have a real to life Mario in 4k. That's just not what they are about.

I think if they can court developers by focusing one a single portable system then yes, it becomes a clear partner to either the One or PS4. They don't have to REPLACE either those other systems to have a place at the table IMO. But a lot of that depends on games--how good they are and how many there are. What I see happening is what's already going on--games are getting bigger and bigger, more and more costly to develop and take ever longer to put out. I think in large gaming is really stagnated--a million COD sequals, year after year of Fifa and NFL games... I like those games but man... it's kinda a shame. My guess is we are going to see Nintendo be THE handheld (that can also be played on the TV if you want) with a very robust and diverse library of games. That' my guess. Essentially they are pulling out of the console market. That's really what's going on. Is that bad? I don't think so because they have always been the best at making handheld systems. It makes sense for them to refocus on what they are the best at rather than get murdered at what they are not.

I don't own a Wii U, but I have played on one.

The Wii U has a handful of party games, but I don't think that makes it a "social console". I think companies target those games at Nintendo consoles cos the demographic is younger and they're more of a "family friendly" company.

It's only sold 13 million units worldwide up to the end of June this year, so that makes it the worst/slowest selling console that Nintendo have ever produced, which doesn't mean people can't like it, but there is clearly much more demand for other machines.

Nintendo used to be competitive when it came to power. They were up until the Wii was released. The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2. The SNES was more powerful than the MegaDrive/Genesis. I wouldn't say that gamers are particularly brand loyal either. There's a vocal minority that are, but lots of them will go with whatever platform suits them best. A lot of PS2 gamers switched to an Xbox 360. A lot of Xbox 360 gamers switched to a PS4. I think we'll see more brand loyalty going forward, but not because of the brand itself - more because of lock in like with smartphones.

As for how good it as is a handheld, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah the DEFO are the "family" console. How I remember it tho was nobody gave a shit about the Game Cube tho because the type of mature games on the PS2. IMO if MS hadn't finally gotten Tekken and more importantly GTA they would have never made it. Those games were literally why you bought a PS.

I find it hard to imagine them competing if they put out a monster system but continue the family console route they basically have always been (on some level). But the flip is unless they stop being innovators (which would be tragic IMO) and fall in line with standard controllers they still fail. Or say they go full tilt and have a smoking fast system, robust mature lineup of games, traditional controllers, etc they still have the problem of convincing gamers to come over to their side. I think that's tough unless they can put out a system that's markedly cheaper and preferably with free online. I don't know if that's even possible.

They very well may be done for and need to shift to a software, not hardware, provider--license and/or put out games and game specific controllers for other systems. That would probably be the best strategy IMO. But I think what they are doing is worth the gamble: The 3DS has sold 58m total units while the WiiU has only sold 12m. The numbers are basically reversed if you look at the PS4 and Vita. To me it seems obvious-- Sony needs to drop the handheld line and Nintendo needs to drop their console line. It makes the best financial sense for each company.

I guess we will see tho. I really really think price is the biggest factor. I also really think they are far too behind to catch up in te console war at least without moving te goalposts which is essentially what they are doing.

Guest rasteri

Nintendo used to be competitive when it came to power.

Eh I dunno, other than the Gamecube Nintendo have always pushed gaming experience over power. The Megadrive CPU was much more powerful than the SNES's (hence sonic being so crazy fast), but the SNES graphics hardware could have more colours on screen at once so the artists had more to work with.

^^thats how I recall it too but wasn't certain. Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn were all faster and "better" than their Nintendo counterparts. Or so I thought.

Guest rasteri

Nah the saturn was a pile of shit :)

The dreamcast though was insane for its time, it could even run playstation games better than a playstation could (via Bleem).

• Like 2

Nintendo used to be competitive when it came to power.

Eh I dunno, other than the Gamecube Nintendo have always pushed gaming experience over power. The Megadrive CPU was much more powerful than the SNES's (hence sonic being so crazy fast), but the SNES graphics hardware could have more colours on screen at once so the artists had more to work with.

Right, but you never looked at SNES games and thought "these look like shite compared to the MegaDrive games!", like you might when comparing, say, the Wii with the 360 or PS3. It never really held the system back when it came to getting versions of third party games.

Yeah, good point that 3rd party games on the Wii looked like crap. My guess tho, is they are moving to become more insular (focus on their style of games) and crank out more games (themselves and from other devs) hence the streamlining by dropping the console.

I'm excited.. in part because I skipped the 3DS so pretty pumped about a new Nintendo handheld.

Dreamcast! That's what I was thinking of. Yeah way ahead of its time. Would love to have one even now.

We have a Dreamcast in our house and my two youngest kids absolutely love that console :8

• Like 1