is it illegal to sell dj mixes?

trevor dane

Ive been reading up on the Pro Dub license a little bit this morning and some of it is absolutely bewildering from the admittedly small amount ive read

theres a section about you not being allowed to transfer cds that you have legally bought onto your own personal computer that is beyond retarded to say the least

Might be digressing from the original question a bit but all this talk about PRS reminded me of when I was playing out much more (around '07/08 in the UK) I looked into this because I also read that to play music from your laptop you, the DJ, had to pay for a license or the venue hiring you could get hit with a hefty fine if you didn't have one. Of course in reality then i imagine 1% of gigging DJ's actually had that and not many more promoters bothered checking.

I really haven't paid any attention to that rule since and having read the above am now curious if that's still the case. It also mentioned something that seemed ridiculous - Even if you'd bought the CD (so owned it yourself) but ripped it to MP3 you'd still need a license to play songs from your laptop. So the artists were getting their money from your purchase but *whoever was pushing the license on DJs then* was still claiming that this license fee was to get artists their royalties or whatever... this might be what Flexi has mentioned above

edit - I actually wrote this last night before my battery finished and I fell asleep. Having posted now the next day, it looks more and more like it was the produb Flexi has mentioned!

• Like 1

It also mentioned something that seemed ridiculous - Even if you'd bought the CD (so owned it yourself) but ripped it to MP3 you'd still need a license to play songs from your laptop.

Well technically it's even more ridiculous in the States--ripping a CD you bought to mp3 is a copyright infringement. You are expected to purchase a new copy even if you own it in another format! That was the big joke about when Bush was asked what he had on his iPod and he said the Beatles. Because the Beatles had no music on the itunes store at the time so he "illegally" ripped it! flol

• Like 2

That was the big joke about when Bush was asked what he had on his iPod and he said the Beatles. Because the Beatles had no music on the itunes store at the time so he "illegally" ripped it! flol

I would hazard a guess that it was Yellow Submarine on permanent repeat .. :d

• Like 1

That was the big joke about when Bush was asked what he had on his iPod and he said the Beatles. Because the Beatles had no music on the itunes store at the time so he "illegally" ripped it! flol

I would hazard a guess that it was Yellow Submarine on permanent repeat .. :d

He really likes "why don't we do it in the road" although he admits the meaning of the song eludes him.

• Like 1

I would hazard a guess that it was Yellow Submarine on permanent repeat ..

He really likes "why don't we do it in the road" although he admits the meaning of the song eludes him.

Why dont we do it in the road is a song on "The White House Album" ... :d

• Like 1

No, if you google it, you will see it is on top of venues licensing, Village halls and such have to apply for a one time licence to do one off events or get fully licensed (Yeah right hahaha)

It is a bullshit law, brought in to place by bullshitters, designed to just stick it to DJs however they can, because they weren't getting their cut of a shitty little pie, that think is huge, because some dickhead "Jesus pose" tithead is pretending to DJ and getting paid a million dollars a gig.

By me, if you DJ and get £300 for a gig, it means you are playing whatever shite is being played on the radio, if you DJ and play what you want, you are lucky to cover your fuel, never mind the cost of tunes and gear.

• Like 1