Studio Setup Suggestions - work flow sort of stuff

Another question for you guys sorta relating to interfaces but more along the lines of workflow and how stuff is plugged in.

I have random hardware like keyboards, drum machines, turntables, etc running into a line mixer. Found a Duet 2 on eBay for a good price and it got here yesterday. What Id like to be doing is have the output of the line mixer go to the input of the Duet (with a power plug so its on regardless of being plugged into the computer) then the output to my speakers plugged into the Duet. That way I could use jam but also record without plugging and unplugging gear in and out of the line mixer and Duet. Doesnt seem to be working. Im assuming the Duet doesnt function as a through like that. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? In the past Ive seen interface line mixers... is that what Id have to use and if so is that a subpar way to setup my home studio?

I can draw a pic of what Im wanting to do if this doesnt make sense.

What mixer are you using?Does it have an aux output or sends?

You may be able to have everything running through the mixer and use the alt/aux/send outputs to send to the duet, with the duet master output plugged into the mixer but only sending to the main out.

• Like 2

I have no formal knowledge about this sort of thing but I have always done things linear. It requires more gear but it's simple. I use a spare mixer that runs the line out from my recording computer (which is playing the tracks I've already laid down) and it mixes that signal with the live signal I'm recording. It seems to do away with all the latency issues. I never fucked with DVS until recently but I have a separate laptop I use for that so I record that just like I would real vinyl (I tend to use outboard effects so I kind of need to do this to record my effects anyway).

If you're just working off of DVS I hear the newer Rane mixers can record the separate tracks straight into your computer but my setup is so antiquated at this point I haven't had a chance to try that out.

• Like 1

I dunno, but at face value it would be batshit if the Duet can't do that.

Unfortunately most audio interfaces dont have any disconnect/standalone capability, they load their configuration from the running computer, these are the sort of things that set the RME miles apart from everything else.

Easiest way to do what you want is to buy a cheap mixer and sub mix before the audio interface (like i say though, cost builds up to the price of an RME which is more reliable uses less CPU and has lower latency :(

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

could you somehow use the aux send on the mixer to go to your interface, and run master out from the mixer to the speakers?

so you jsut use aux send as a kind of "record mode".... duh i just realised mike already suggested exactly that.

• Like 2

You know what I didn't read it properly that you wanted it to work without the computer being on.

Leave your PC on all the time, problem sorted. The other suggestions are sensible. You could get a small passive switch box for a tenner if you need to maintain the exact signal path as is.

• Like 1

Yeah man, crazy but lik Flexi said it seems like most nothing will allow audio through because it is all processed in the computer and there isnt even wiring for throughput. Which seems nuts. That said, are you sure the RME is the apparent sole outlier? Thats definitely appealing.

The aux send is actually a really good idea. Im gonna try that.

Seems like a Allen & Heath or Yamaha USB mixer is the simplest solution. But it seems so sensible that I cant figure out why its not common... does the sound coming out of a USB mixer suck ass?

What mixer are you using?Does it have an aux output or sends?

You may be able to have everything running through the mixer and use the alt/aux/send outputs to send to the duet, with the duet master output plugged into the mixer but only sending to the main out.

I have a Mackie microseries 1202. It does have an aux send. So do I go from the aux send to the Duet then from ththe Duet to the aux return? Sorry for the dumb question but will that cause feedback?

Yeah man, crazy but lik Flexi said it seems like most nothing will allow audio through because it is all processed in the computer and there isnt even wiring for throughput. Which seems nuts. That said, are you sure the RME is the apparent sole outlier? Thats definitely appealing.

The aux send is actually a really good idea. Im gonna try that.

Seems like a Allen & Heath or Yamaha USB mixer is the simplest solution. But it seems so sensible that I cant figure out why its not common... does the sound coming out of a USB mixer suck ass?

RME all remember the last configuration, some have front panel controls for full standalone operation, RME are a cut above ;)

My first external audio interface was a MOTU 828 Mk2, which can be used when the computer is off and any changes you make to the configs are updated on the computer the next time you switch it on.

Things started to go wrong with recently so I bought a Duet, assuming that they can all be used as a standalone device. Not so. Now I just plug my head phones into my mixer whenever the Mac is switched off. The send/return idea makes sense so I'll probably give that a go.

Oh, here's a tip: if you plug headphones into a Duet, don't wear them when you switch the computer on! You're welcome.

• Like 2

Quick question... Is it best to have the out from the Duet running into the aux return or run it back into one of the lines with the aux on that channel turned all the way down? (There is also a RCA tape input too BTW). I have it going to the aux return and seems ok from the limited testing I did last night but was reading online today and one example had it going to the line on the mixer while another had it going to the tape input... I'll figure it out eventually through trial and error but thought I'd ask anyways.

EDIT: After reading some more looks like I should be going to the line in from the soundcard.

Quick question... Is it best to have the out from the Duet running into the aux return or run it back into one of the lines with the aux on that channel turned all the way down?

There's no right or wrong way, but routing to the aux return is probably simplest. If you had external fx units you wanted to run computer audio through then you could consider routing it through one of the line channels, but with only 2 in 2 out on your interface you have to treat your stereo in/outs as 2x mono in/outs and ensure record and play are separate. You'd have to be careful to turn the aux send down too if you switch things around, otherwise you can get the screaming wall of feedback comin at'cha.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I sold the Duet 2 I bought on ebay about a week after buying for a $30 profit. IDK why. Well I do... but it sounds neurotic. I didn't like the way is was packaged when shipped. Which was essentially thrown in a box with no bubble wrap or packing of any kind. So I tested it and resold on CL. I also want to try a few things including the NI interface Deft is kind enough to hook me up with and maybe something called an RME(?). Figure I can always buy another used Duet 2 if that ends up being what I liked best.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. I sold the Duet 2 I bought on ebay about a week after buying for a $30 profit. IDK why. Well I do... but it sounds neurotic. I didn't like the way is was packaged when shipped. Which was essentially thrown in a box with no bubble wrap or packing of any kind. So I tested it and resold on CL. I also want to try a few things including the NI interface Deft is kind enough to hook me up with and maybe something called an RME(?). Figure I can always buy another used Duet 2 if that ends up being what I liked best.

Did you ever try the RME?

I have the same problem at the moment where I kind of require an external mixer.

• Like 1

Flol

Deft hooked me up with a NI sound card! Running from my line mixer efx out to it then back to the return and its perfect for what I need.