Numark PT-01 modding thread

Guest rasteri

I wouldnt mind buying a record that was single sided. So mek it clear and stik a 12" sticker on one side so it shows through. It will probably show through a lot clearer stuck to the record anywayz. like ad says illuminous colour coded sections. Of course to be the ultimate record id want samples that all line up/ tie in with each other for needle dropping fun and to get the most out of the colour coding. To really top it off make the last section a traktor tone/or even both so I can cut with skiples and instantly switch to samples of my name or disses or whatever. Pisses me right off when im doing well on the cut and I needle drop onto the wrong bit. Doin it in da club wud be sometimes impossible this wax wud solve it. Id buy it defo!

• Like 1

Just catching up with this thread... gonna try and drop my transformer switch in this week. Then hoping to do the audio input mod but not entirely sure what I need to do... very little electrical knowledge... Do I put the resisters on a little board so they don't move around as much?

Guest rasteri

Best place to put the switch and AUX in would be after C8/C18.

To add the switch, you'll have to de-solder the negative legs of C8/C18, and wire a switch in series with them.

For the AUX in, also wire a 470ohm resistors in series with the switch, wire same value resistors in series with your AUX input, and then connect them together onto the solder pad on the PCB that the negative legs of C8/C18 were originally wired to.

I'll draw you a diagram when I get a min.

• Like 2

^^What he said.

Best place to put the switch and AUX in would be after C8/C18.

To add the switch, you'll have to de-solder the negative legs of C8/C18, and wire a switch in series with them.

For the AUX in, also wire a 470ohm resistors in series with the switch, wire same value resistors in series with your AUX input, and then connect them together onto the solder pad on the PCB that the negative legs of C8/C18 were originally wired to.

I'll draw you a diagram when I get a min.

For the AUX plug would I want a closed or open one?

What do you mean by closed or open aux plug?

When I was at the electrical store prior to this thread and looking at 1/8" plugs for an aux there were two kinds--closed circuit and open circuit. My simpleton understanding is the closed closes off the circuit loop when you unplug the 1/8" cable while the other leaves it open which I'm guessing could result in feedback hum.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Symatic

some thoughts for cartridge upgrayyyds:

with a bit of hacking you could fit a onrofon OM cart on there.......

and here's a shot of the underside of the tone arm just for shits n giggles. you can see the notch where cables run up the arm, it's all plastic, and is held down with a spring at the base of the arm shich packs about 5-6g of weight.

• Like 2

Guest rasteri

Yeah definitely looks promising... I guess we sometimes forget other carts exist than the 44-7s :)

Wax Inspektor's experiments seem to indicate that normal needles/carts might not work on these kinds of tables though. The idea would be to wire a normal turntable into the phono preamp section of the PT-01 to test if that would work. I'll investigate it when I'm done with the cut circuit (more news to come on that later today :) ). I reckon only then would it be worth potentially ruining your PT-01 to try this haha :)

I still reckon the ideal endgame is to either replace the tonearm completely with a superoem straight arm, or cut the existing plastic tonearm down and turn it into an underhung straight arm. Right now the offset angle of the needle effectively makes it equivalent to the S-shaped arm of the technics, which as we all know isn't as skip-resistant.

I'm really more of an electronics guy though, if I can't do it with a soldering iron and a screwdriver I'm normally too scared to attempt it in case I fuck something up :)

Guest Symatic

Yeah i keep coming back to the conclusion that once you have a raiden fader installed theres really not much else to do because youre polishing a turd.... But it is interesting to know how all this works sonit can be improved upon

Guest rasteri

Prototype done!

Assembled circuit :

Connected up to my PT-01, also showing the AUX IN plug :

And a video showing the thing working using my phone as a looper:

Note the dual sided cut functionality, and that the sound is all coming from the PT-01's built-in speaker. I'm just using a standard vestax PCV fader blu-tak'd to the side.

Question is - what to do now? Would people be interested in buying the circuit in its current form for modding their own PT-01s/Handytraxes? Would I be better off including a fader and assembling it into some sort of enclosure as a kind of Deluxe version of the raiden/frisk faders?

Please, someone tell me what to do next.

• Like 5

I wouldnt mind buying a record that was single sided. So mek it clear and stik a 12" sticker on one side so it shows through. It will probably show through a lot clearer stuck to the record anywayz. like ad says illuminous colour coded sections. Of course to be the ultimate record id want samples that all line up/ tie in with each other for needle dropping fun and to get the most out of the colour coding. To really top it off make the last section a traktor tone/or even both so I can cut with skiples and instantly switch to samples of my name or disses or whatever. Pisses me right off when im doing well on the cut and I needle drop onto the wrong bit. Doin it in da club wud be sometimes impossible this wax wud solve it. Id buy it defo!

Fresh, I got 1 customer!...

This is why I was pushing to inspire Clear Vinyl being pressed before I release another "Precicions Incisions" 7 inch record... It Allows for custom graphics and aligning of sounds....I Shouldn't of opened this can of worms though haha..Now my ish might not have as much thunder...There is more to it though but that's as much as I am going to say for now...Peace...

Prototype done!

Assembled circuit :

Connected up to my PT-01, also showing the AUX IN plug :

And a video showing the thing working using my phone as a looper:

Note the dual sided cut functionality, and that the sound is all coming from the PT-01's built-in speaker. I'm just using a standard vestax PCV fader blu-tak'd to the side.

Question is - what to do now? Would people be interested in buying the circuit in its current form for modding their own PT-01s/Handytraxes? Would I be better off including a fader and assembling it into some sort of enclosure as a kind of Deluxe version of the raiden/frisk faders?

And now we come to the play offs...It's working...A kit like it is, with a printout of a few ways to wire it for, externel fader use, contacless or analog or doing your own scratch box...

Let me apologize for the thread about the 7 inch clear records...it distracted from your progress that wasn't my intent...

Guest petesasqwax

Would it be worthwhile buying in handytrax/PT-01s and making them as complete units to sell them already done? The way I see it, they're basically the new QFO, more or less... How economically could you produce a complete unit?

if it was an enclosure peeps would probably buy it. or a mod you can send the deck to you for maybe?

If I'm honest I wish I jus sent my handytrax and an Inno up to Aberdeen/Rasteri in the first place. I'm totally sold on portable cutting, in fact I'd go as far to say I fucking love that shit. But the 0.01 cent fader they used for Raiden is so fucking cheap and nasty, yes it's perfectly useable but I honestly can't remember in 18years of dj'n coming across such a lame feeling fader, the lines on my OG soundlab mixer were better!

After one night out with the handytrax some small dirt debris must of got inside as jus sliding the fader in the middle produced epic static/pops/clicks. To be fair that could happen to most faders but by the time I brought the 2 suggested cans of Deoxit at premium US import cost, add that to the price of the Raiden and your virtually at the price of a brand new innofader.

Andy - sorry man this thread is a big read to get thru, can you tellme what your board does apart from give you the ability to plug decent fader in?

Guest rasteri

!

Andy - sorry man this thread is a big read to get thru, can you tellme what your board does apart from give you the ability to plug decent fader in?

I started this project because I noticed some people (Si/Dirk/Waxinspektor) were trying to mod decent faders into their PT-01s and not having great results. Raidens/frisks didn't appeal to me because they're passive and therefore will ALWAYS have shitty pop/click noises even when brand new. This circuit allows you to use proper faders, and is an active circuit so it eliminates pops/clicks entirely. It also adds an easy way to have an AUX IN for your PT-01s internal speaker.

But you're right, the raidens/frisks have the advantage that they're easy to install. This is my problem - I don't know whether to turn my circuit into an external MicroFaderBox that could be used by anyone (perhaps with a mini-innofader), just offer the circuit as an option for people to mod their own PT-01s/handytraxes, or what...

EDIT: Or as you say, offer a modding service.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

This is my problem - I don't know whether to turn my circuit into an external MicroFaderBox that could be used by anyone (perhaps with a mini-innofader), just offer the circuit as an option for people to mod their own PT-01s/handytraxes, or what...

If you could make a microfaderbox with a mini-Inno in it that would mean people could just plug it in without needing to mod their Handytrax etc. I'd definitely go for that.

I've not even cracked open my 05proIII to fix the broken channel (I only have 1 deck so it's pretty pointless to be honest) nor have I opened up my SP-505 to fix the main out or loose power cable (pretty sure both or simple solder jobs) although I did fit a card reader in my 2000XL lots of years ago. The point I'm making is: I'm sure I'm not the only one who is a little reluctant to crack open their hardware. With the Handytrax you (/I) risk fucking up nearly £200 of turntable if I balls it up. The PT-01 may only be £80 but I'd still be pissed off if I knackered it. People are snapping up Raidens left right and centre. If you could make the same sort of thing but with a mini-Inno it'd be GAME OVER

• Like 1