• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

I love a good copyright infringement scrap as everyone probably knows,so I was particularly delighted to hear that an enormous hoo-ha in the glorious world of Pop music has erupted yesterday where I read that alternative rockers Radiohead are suing the ethereal popstrell songstress Lana Del Ray over the similarities between her track 'Get Free' and their song 'Creep'.

What I find interesting here is the fact that Radiohead were sued by The Hollies who claimed that parts of 'Creep' are based on the melodies from 'The Air That I Breathe'.

Radiohead apparently want the full 100% of the publishing rights while LDR is offering 40% to settle the dispute before it goes to court while claiming that the song is an original composition and not influenced by the Radiohead tune at all.

What do you think ?

Symatic on O9 May 2016-08.49 PM said
oh dan you filthy bastard why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here ???
https://soundcloud.com/user-58305257

#2 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

I was just reading this story elsewhere. My first thought was that it's annoying im at work and can't listen to it to make up my mind.
  • danswift likes this

#3 Steve

Steve

Je suis Charlie

• Team DV
  • 39,473 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

I find it hard to believe that nobody at her record label called that out before the album came out. Well, they probably did, but assumed they'd get away with it. It's more blatant than the original rip-off of the song by The Hollies IMO.

40% of the publishing should be enough though. They're being greedy bastards by asking for 100.
  • djnumnuts and danswift like this

#4 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

I find it hard to believe that nobody at her record label called that out before the album came out. 

Yeah, those were my exact same thoughts upon the first listen last night.

oh dan you filthy bastard why open such a nerd can of worms to a bunch of beat perverts like you find on here ???

#5 arkei

arkei

CORNHOLIO

• Elite Member
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

I find it hard to believe that nobody at her record label called that out before the album came out.

Yeah, those were my exact same thoughts upon the first listen last night.

She must of been like "who are these guys anyways...I'm Lana del Rey so I don't have to worry about it"
  • djnumnuts, djdiggla and danswift like this

#6 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Wow, that's pretty blatant. Radiohead should be breaking out the champagne - 40% of the pub for doing nothing and over a song they ripped off in the first place?

• JHouse, djdiggla, broke and 1 other like this

Holy shit. Not even Bitches With Whips prepared me for that. 

#7 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

Wow, that's pretty blatant. Radiohead should be breaking out the champagne - 40% of the pub for doing nothing and over a song they ripped off in the first place?

I think in the case of The Hollies versus Radiohead it wasn't the whole track they claimed RH infringed as such but more the vocal refrain and musical melody where the song shifts and Thom Yorke sings the 'She's running out again' lyric in Creep which The Hollies claimed was based on The Air That I Breathe.  

Totally agree with the 40 % of the publishing for doing nothing comment though.

#8 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

Fuck The Hollies. Middle of the road piss.
  • danswift likes this

#9 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

Fuck The Hollies. Middle of the road piss.

Yes,yes I totally agree but that's not the point..

This thread is a serious discussion about copyright infringement ,theres no need for any pointless name calling here, especially against a group like The Hollies who are a bunch of talentless, useless MOR tossers who's music stinks like 3 week old dinosaur urine... :d

• DJ Rock Well likes this

#10 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Oh don't get me wrong Dan, I lose many a night's sleep hoping the rich pop stars will all be able to come to an agreement one day that makes them all equally rich and special. Who doesn't?!

But...

I am on a one man crusade against the tide of an alarming trend I've been monitoring for some time time now - the fucked up notion that all bands and music is of value once they've been around in the world for long enough. Fuck. No. Not on my watch sonny!

• danswift likes this

#11 Jam Burglar

Jam Burglar
  • Elite Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

I'm pretty well educated on copyright infringement and I think most claims are bullshit but LOL she copied the hell out of Radiohead on this one.

• danswift likes this

#12 Symatic

Symatic
  • Elite Member
  • 5,635 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

someone should copyright 12 bar blues chord sequences.... or the pachobels canon chords..... you;d be raking it in, like every day someone would write a song and have to give you 100%? why arent i a lawyer???!?!

• djdiggla and danswift like this

#13 JHouse

JHouse

DV Tattletale

• Elite Member
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

Where's Caveman Lawyer during these dire straits?

• JWalker, broke and Jam Burglar like this

#14 Jon

Jon

Oh HAI Wax0N btw!

• Elite Member
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

yeah from 0:48 it's pretty blatent imo

• danswift likes this

#15 arkei

arkei

CORNHOLIO

• Elite Member
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

Where's Caveman Lawyer during these dire straits?

Ciroc is still defending Junebugg because of these non-delivered 06-faceplates from 2001. It's a tough case
  • JHouse and DJ Rock Well like this

#16 savwar

savwar

Animal lover

• Elite Member
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

isn't it actually radioheads old record label that are suing? it may have nothing to actually do with Radiohead

• danswift likes this
pant.

#17 Symatic

Symatic
  • Elite Member
  • 5,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

haha that would be even better :) "hey! they stole that song off someone else! i should get paid!"

it clearly is a copy.... but does it really matter? are people buying the new one INSTEAD of the radiohead one? or the hollies? thats whats so fucked about copyright laws to me - who buys biz markie records AND gilbert o'sullivan records? not many people, im guessing. so who cares that biz sings some of gilberts lines out of tune for part of his song? its not like gilbert o'sullivan was on the cusp of selling loads of records to 80's hip hop fans.... and i can't imagine that many people buying lana del ray records are now shunning radiohead's 90's back catalogue as a result.

my opinion is probably biased though :)

• djdiggla and danswift like this

#18 joeClockwork

joeClockwork
  • Elite Member
  • 797 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

I don't know if agree with you there. I sold all of my Eurythmics records when Nas dropped Street Dreams...

Holy shit. Not even Bitches With Whips prepared me for that. 

#19 DJ Rock Well

DJ Rock Well
  • Team DV
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:43 PM

We all did Joe!

It's like when B dropped Crazy In Love, I went straight to my 45s, pulled out that Chi-Lites single and snapped it in half there and then. Sometimes an event so monumental occurs in music, that you just instinctively know there's no going back.
  • Jam Burglar, joeClockwork and danswift like this

#20 danswift

danswift

007 INCH

• Elite Member
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

It's like when B dropped Crazy In Love, I went straight to my 45s, pulled out that Chi-Lites single and snapped it in half there and then. Sometimes an event so monumental occurs in music, that you just instinctively know there's no going back.

I admire and approve of your stance on this matter !..

That Chi-lites number is still a dope tune tho.. :|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users