Google Pixel Phone

Deft

The specs are great, but there's something about the look of the phone that I don't like.

At this stage, I wish Google would say to manufacturers "if you want to use our OS, it has to be stock and we'll update it", cos it would be nice to have a wide choice of handsets, knowing that you're not going to have to wait months/years/indefinitely to get the latest Android update.

I'm sticking with my 6P for as long as possible.

Most phones look the same to me, but I am aesthetically challenged. Does anybody use any of these Siri/Cortana things? I never have though I did use voice control on my Fire TV app the other day, and after I got over the initial "I'm a twat" feeling it was quicker than typing click by click.

• Like 1

I've only used voice assistants on phones and PCs as a novelty really, just to test them out. The speech to text feature on Android is great though IMO. The most accurate I've used.

MS put Cortana on the Xbox One, but the most useful features it offers don't work because of its inability to recognise most gamertags when they're spoken aloud. For instance, you can say "Hey Cortana, start a party and invite Deft and Dirk" and it will start the party and send out the invites, which is cool, but when people have gamertags like XxxSN1P3RxxX and stuff, it just doesn't work.

I do use "Xbox record that" and "Xbox take a screenshot" regularly to grab video clips and screenshots, cos it's nice to be able to do that without interrupting the game, especially if you're in a multiplayer match. I use a few of the other voice controls, but not that often.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My father in law's phone is knackered, so I thought I'll use that as an excuse for me to get a new phone and he can have my Nexus 4. You can get the Pixel in Carphone Whorehouse, so off I trundle to go have a look. Get there and they wouldn't sell it without a contract. Apparently that isn't general policy, just a quirk for this little concession I went to. Well God didn't want me to get a new phone. So I ordered a Moto G4 Plus for him instead from Amazon. People wonder why no one buys from bricks and mortar shops anymore.

I keep thinking I'll replace my Nexus 4 one day soon. This looks decent enough but I can't bring myself to spunk £800 on a phone. I mean it's hardly limited edition.

https://madeby.google.com/phone/

I like the look of it and features but still is over $600... That's just as much as an iphone or more.