What games are you guys playing at the moment?

Steve

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm currently obssessed with the Yakuza series. Like a lot of people, I slept on the series on PS2 and then I didn't own a PS3, so hadn't played one of these games until last year.

I've just moved from Yakuza 0 (a new prequel to the series that came out in the West in early 2017) to Yakuza Kiwami (a remake of Yakuza 1 using the Yakuza 0 engine). Yakuza 6 (the final installment in the series) is out in the west next month, swiftly followed by Kiwami 2 (a remake of Yakuza 2 using the Yakuza 6 engine), which is out in August.

It's a mix between a beat em up and a rpg. The main story has a more serious tone, and in particular Yakuza 0 has great character development for a video game, while the optional sub stories range from silly to straight up bizarre. I'm not far enough into Kiwami to comment on that one so much, but 0 has some great business games in it too where the protagonists operate a real estate business and manage a hostess club. You can also play loads of classic Sega Arcade games, and Yakuza 6 apparently has a full arcade version of Virtua Fighter 5 built in.

If you've not played a game from the series yet I'd really recommend 0 first as I'm led to believe it's the most jam packed of the two. There's currently a preorder deal for 0 and 6 when bought together.

• Like 1

I wish there was a wireless Elite-style controller available for the PS4, cos every time I turn mine on and try and use it I'm reminded of how much I hate the standard controller.

I've been mostly playing Overwatch still, but I definitely have a love/hate relationship with that game. Sometimes it can feel like you're playing 5-a-side football where everyone on your side has decided to play as a striker and you're left thinking "WTF are you guys doing????", but when you get a decent team together and people know what makes a good team comp, it's great.

I'm still trying to get into Fortnite BR, but I'm still struggling with the building aspect of it, which is really crucial if you want to be anything other than average. When I've made it down to the last few players, the people that are great at building always end up winning. I can't seem to get used to the controls in terms of swapping out the different pieces and materials really quickly, which you're required to do in tense situations.

I've also been playing a twin stick top down shoot-em-up called Tesla Vs. Lovecraft. You play as Tesla, fighting against hordes of monsters inspired by Lovecraft's horror stories. There's a bunch of different weapons and unlocks and I really like the teleport mechanic where you can teleport a short distance in any direction. As you kill monsters you earn XP which fills up a bar and when that's full you get to choose a perk, such as 20% faster movement speed, more damage etc. and you can stack multiple perks. On each level you can collect 6 pieces of a large mech, then when you have them all you can call it in and for a short time you get to shred the fuck out of the monsters with that. In terms of gameplay there's not really anything original here, but if you like this style of game I'd definitely recommend it. It has local co-op for 2 players, but no online unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

Yo, so update re: Yakuza series having completed the 3 games I mentioned before. I'd highly recommend 0 as the best overall one out of those 3 i mentioned, followed by 6 then Kiwami 1. But they're all incredible - I'm very much hooked! Kiwami 2 is out in a couple of months, which is supposed to be one of the strongest games in the series and HD remasters of 3, 4 and 5 are due out in Japan over the rest of the year, so will probably arrive in the west next year, as well as a brand new title with a new protagonist set after Yakuza 6.

I've also just started playing God Of War - I'm super impressed with it visually so far in the few hours I've played it. Really beautiful lighting and the game plays like a continuous shot of a film with no loading times, with gameplay and cutscenes seamlessly linking into each other.

Guest broke

I've heard great things about Fortnite! I've downloaded it but like wrapping up a game I'm playing before starting another - the concept sounds sick though

I played Fortnite for a couple of hours and it fucking sucks. It's a (free) cartoonish shooter with clunky game play and a ridiculous building mechanic. The only reason it's so big is because it's free and therefore popular with kids, making it a fad - the fidget spinner of gaming. Don't waste your time.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ive not had much time for gaming recently but since my last post I completed Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Spiderman. Just started Fist Of The North Star (which is basically another Yakuza game 😅) and have been playing a bit of Fighting EX Layer. The latter is a beat em up similar to street fighter. It's made by the developers of street fighter ex plus alpha which was one of my favourites on the ps1 back in the day and is essentially an upgrade to that minus the Capcom characters.

I'm always behind the curve but just completed God of War after getting it for Christmas. Proper good. Made me wish I had a PS4 Pro and better TV. I look forward to the inevitable remastered version on the next generation PlayStation.

Had got quite into Horizon Zero Dawn which I need to get back into.

I heard Witcher is badass.

Been mostly playing Cities Skyline and Fallout 4 on xbone. Mario Rabbits and Smash Bros on Switch and then Mario 3D and Luigis haunted mansion on 3DS.

I'm still playing Overwatch mainly. Did a nice little play as Lucio last night: -

I shall hopefully be getting into Anthem, which is out on February 22nd, then The Division 2, which is out on March 15th. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is out a week after that too.

@jon I loved the Fist of the North Star fighter as a kid on original gameboy. That new one looks unreal especially by comparison lol!

So far it's ok but not amazing. I think if I'd not played Yakuza I'd think it's incredible but so far it's like a dumbed down Yakuza in fist of North Star universe. It moves kinda slow too. Doing all the head blowing up moves is fucking awesome though. If you're a fan it might be a good gateway into Yakuza / judgement tho

I heard Witcher is badass.

Been mostly playing Cities Skyline and Fallout 4 on xbone. Mario Rabbits and Smash Bros on Switch and then Mario 3D and Luigis haunted mansion on 3DS.

I was skeptical at first but it won me over big-time. I was playing the new Zelda (dope game by the way) and some guy was like "Witcher 3 is better" and I was all like "yeah right, but I'll check it out" yadadadadamean? So I scooped it and at first it was a little complicated for me (with all the stuff you can collect and combine and card games in the middle and everything) but I just started playing and figuring it out as I went along. I got pretty into it and I'm almost at the end of the game now and still figuring out all the stuff you can do, which is actually kind of cool. You don't really need to learn all the nuances but as I've picked them up I've actually liked the extra complexity. I don't know if it's better than Zelda but's its damn close.

If you didn't get the Ultimate Edition of Witcher 3, you should consider buying the DLC if you enjoyed the main game. It's as highly rated as the game itself: -

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt---hearts-of-stone

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt---blood-and-wine

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

over the weekend, i fired up the old ps2 and started playing Sly Cooper and the Thevius Racoonus. This was actually my wifes game. I never played it before this weekend. this is a dope ass game for something thats like 16 years old. i've only got about 1.5 hours in, but i cant wait to get back to it.