DV slow server issues

Steve

In the last day or so, the site has been painfully slow at times. I can see it's affecting you guys too, because sometimes you've submitted a post 2 or 3 times because the site hasn't responded the first time.

I have complained to our web host, so I'll wait and see what their response is. I've done all the checks I can and the issue is with their server, not DV or my own ISP. It's sod's law that this had to happen now, just as we posted up info on the scratch battle. Hopefully it will settle down soon.

• Like 1

^^The post I made above is a perhaps a little unfair. What they actually sent me was a report generated by some website on how to better optimise DV and they recommended a service that they and many other web hosts are partnered with, called CloudFlare. One of the things CloudFlare is supposed to do is speed up the loading of a website, but considering they are partnered with all these hosting companies and that their basic service is free, there are very few reviews for them online and the ones I have found seem a bit suspicious to me as they're written like advertisements. If it did work well, you would think that word would have passed around and there would be loads of people talking about it. They also offered to upgrade our hosting package to a dedicated server, but that would mean paying per month what we currently pay per year - it's just not viable on a site that survives solely through user donations.

I have been doing some more Googling about this and a bunch of folks have been tweeting Bluehost in the last few days, all saying the same thing - that their sites suddenly went a lot slower than normal. I have just tweeted them as well and I have replied to the support ticket to say I'm not happy with their suggestions, as trace routes clearly show that the issue is located with their servers.

I'm doing the best I can, but if they keep fobbing me off I don't know what we can do. We can get a partial refund of the money we've paid and move elsewhere, but that's a huge pain in the arse, would lead to down time, and the grass isn't always greener regarding web hosts. We can't afford to put DV on a dedicated server. Ahhhhhhh, it's so annoying!

I tweeted at Bluehost. They replied to say they'd look into it, then a few minutes later they said "everything's fine!". I replied to say it's not fine, then another web hosting company tweeted me and offered me 50% off if I switched to them, lol. They also said that they liked my "music", cos they definitely listened to stuff on my SoundCloud page. DEFINITELY, haha. A bit more back and forth with Bluehost and I got no further - they told me to open a ticket even though I already have. Oh well. It was worth a try.

although

C:\Windows\system32>ping www.digitalvertigo.co.uk

Pinging digitalvertigo.co.uk [74.220.219.61] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.220.219.61: bytes=32 time=211ms TTL=45
Reply from 74.220.219.61: bytes=32 time=217ms TTL=45
Reply from 74.220.219.61: bytes=32 time=212ms TTL=45
Reply from 74.220.219.61: bytes=32 time=213ms TTL=46
Ping statistics for 74.220.219.61:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 211ms, Maximum = 217ms, Average = 213ms
C:\Windows\system32>ping www.bbc.co.uk