should i buy a boss sp-303?

ay yo

i'm looking for an mpc equivalent that i can use as a sampler/sequencer that i can use as a first stop between sampling from vinyl (and various other sources) and sequencing with software on my pc.

the main reason why i want to buy this is because i'm in a band and i'm looking for a smallish effects module that i can keep my samples on for use in gigs etc...

do you reckon this is a good choice of equipment or would you recommend a good alternative?

thanks a lot...

hmmmm, according to turntablelab it does have sequencing capabilities:

OVERVIEW

Want to incorporate the “bomb drop†into your live show? Among Lab DJs, the SP-303 has become the choice for triggering samples and sampling on the go at DJ gigs. The SP-303 is an all-in-one sampler, sequencer and effects unit at a very reasonable price. It is just as comfortable in live situations like the one mentioned, as it is for composing tracks with loops and samples. A very portable package with big features, the SP-303 will work for both novices looking for an entry-level production machine and advanced producers looking for a unique sounding piece to add to the collection.

Uses:

• sample triggering during DJing

• sample/sound effects triggering

• sampling

• sequencing

• effects processing

FEATURES

Sampling and Memory

The SP-303’s layout is similar to the Akai MPC series. Samples are triggered by 8 touch sensitive pads, which can hold up to 32 different samples at once by using the 4 sound banks. The SP-303 records at a 44.1 kHz sampling frequency (standard) and all conversion (A/D & D/A) is done at 20 bit (better than CD quality). It also gives three options for sample quality; standard, long play and lo-fi. It comes with 33 seconds of sampling time in standard mode (3 min, 10 sec in lo-fi), and the addition of a 64MB SmartMedia card expands its sampling capacity to 33 min in standard mode (202 min in lo-fi).

Several options for sampling are unique to the 303’s design and cannot be found on other samplers. Performers may find the ability to set a tempo to a sample before sampling especially useful for live situations, while the option of adding effects to a sound before you sample it will guarantee interesting results. Standard functions like pitch and volume control as well as the adjustment of a sample’s start and finish time are also included. When triggering a sample the user has the choice of loop, one-shot, gate or reverse playback. The sophisticated effect of time modification (ability to change the length of a sample without changing its pitch) is also very handy when matching loops.

Sequencer

The 303’s sequencer section gives the user the choice to either match up loops or chop samples (e.g. drums) and replay them in their own pattern. The pattern sequencer comes with a 7,500-note capacity standard, which can be doubled with the addition of a memory card. The resolution (a measure of the precision of note placement) is 96 ticks per quarter note, with the option of quantizing at various intervals. Pattern lengths can run from 1-99 measures in length, which should be more than enough.

Effects: The most unique feature of the SP-303 is the amount of built-in effects. Of the 26 total effects, the SP-303 comes with several standard effects including: Filters, Delay, Reverb, Distortion, Compression and EQ. In addition, there are several unique effects including: Vinyl Sim (emulates vinyl), Tape Echo, Radio Tuning (gives radio effect), Fuzz (adds harmonics), Ring Mod, Voice Trans (human voice processor) and C. Canceller (Eliminates vocals from recording). Effect variations can be applied using the Resonance and Drive control knobs. Multiple effects can only be applied by resampling the sound with an effect, otherwise only one effect can be used per sound.

Hardware

The SP-303 is equipped with basic yet adequate hardware for most applications. The INs and OUTs consist of stereo RCA jacks, as well as a 1/4†mic IN with gain control and a headphone OUT. A MIDI in is also included for synching the 303 to other devices and making it possible to play its samples on a separate midi-controller (keyboard). The SmartMedia card slot comes with a protective cover for when it’s not in use and a 120 AC adapter powers the entire device. Boss also includes a 75-page instruction booklet that is extremely readable and full of charts and diagrams for quick set-up.

OUR OPINION

Whether it’s Madlib supposedly using this as the sole palette for his beats or just about every dj that comes through the Lab using it to trigger their samples and sound effects at gigs, the SP-303 is quite a popular item. What’s the reason for its popularity? The price is very reasonable, and there is no other complete production tool on the market for less than $300. But the low cost isn’t its only positive, the 303 is packaged with lots of unique features.

The effects that come loaded in the 303 really set it apart from the competition for two reasons; most samplers (no matter what price range) don’t come with this many effects, unique or not. Whether you’re using it in live situations or in your bedroom to make beats, 26 effects can only help to enhance your sound. Plug a microphone directly into the 303, sample the vocalist, throw on some echo and you have an instant dub machine. Sampling too many CD’s? Use the vinyl emulation to fatten up the sound.

The simple layout and basic features of the 303 actually work to its advantage. It’s extremely easy to learn and to use. All functions are no more than two steps away at the most. This is a definite plus for live applications, where simpler is always better. In addition, the portable, durable construction makes this the perfect traveling piece

The only drawbacks we see with the 303 are the limited outputs and absence of a computer screen. Honestly, if you’re shopping in this price range neither of those should be a deterrent as you will obviously grow into more sophisticated equipment as your skills increase. And even when that time comes you’ll still want to keep the 303 around for its unique effects. ease of use, and especially for live performances where the options are endless.

KEY FEATURES

• 33 seconds of sampling time in standard mode, expandable to 33 minutes with 64mb Smartmedia Card (not included)

• 8 touch sensitive pads with 4 memory banks (32 samples)

• 26 effects with cutoff, resonance, and drive controls.

• 7600 note capacity y sequencer, expandable to 15.00 with Smartmedia card

• RCA in/outs, Mic in

http://bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=51

no worries dooder, it just looks better and better the more i look into it, the only downside i can think of right now is that it doesnt have a display screen so you cant "see" what you're doing, but i reckon it wouldnt be a problem once you'd got the hang of it!