Audio production kit

I use :

Carillon AC1 core 5 'nearly' (no raid array)

EMU 1820M soundcard

Waldorf Pulse Synth

Access Virus C Synth

Virsyn Tera 2 Synth

Line 6 Echo Pro

Line 6 Filter Pro

Native Instruments Kontakt

Reason ( very occasionally)

plugin effects and stuff

'Beat Creating' is a pretty vague term these days - if you want to flip breaks then phatmatik pro (a VSTi) is your man. If you're looking to create tracks from scratch with maybe a few samples thrown in then fruity loops or reason is what you should be looking at, though i would recommend reason over fruity. there are demos of both on the net so make up your own mind.

An elegant, but expensive and limited solution is the all pervasive Akai MPC series. But you're asking about software, so I'm guessing you've already decided this isn't for you !

If you just want to program beats in software then Native Instruments battery isn't a bad idea (£99) but that's really all it does. An Akai Mpd controlller (£149) to go with it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edited by Banano

I use XP Pro & Cool Edit Pro 2. I only really make multilayered mixes and tracks, although track wise I haven't really made an effort so far.

I also have Acid Pro 4.0 and Soundforge 7.0 but I dunno what to do with either of them.

Guest $mooth

Cubase sx2 is the best but not particularly easy, reason 2.5 is good to learn with, acid pro 4 is ace for DnB mixes. Absynth 1 & 2 and FM7 are my fave VSTi's.

well im using dance ejay at the moment ;) im tryin to find a place to get cubase but no look so far. well ive just upgraded my pc so hopefully things will be able to run on it smoothly (when i get the damn thing) but i need a soundcard which i can plug my decks into....any1 point me in the right direction????

yeh ive been using my parents pc and been recording that way but if i was gonna have a good set up i was thinin that rca inputs would be best. or is that a waste of money. i would also like to set up my guitar to it..and possibly my bro's keyboard (which is also midi)

talking bout guitars..im just learning, after many years of playing metallica and greenday, classical music.....its a bummer..i can read the music (and using a pick play it) but tryin to use there finger style is beyond hard....oh wel keep on practising and it will come..then on to blues..woo hoo.

on another point i got told when playin a guitar go into your local music shop and listen to a heavy metal guitarist. yuo will notice that they play very fast and continuous..but do you every hear a pause or a gap. its very technical but not very pleasing to listen to. go and listen to a blues guitarist (ie robert johnson) and he plays nowhere as fast or as may notes...but the way he pauses and leaves gaps at exactly the right time in phonominal. i reckon that is the same when scratching..its not always what you play..but sumtimes what you dont

• 3 weeks later...

FL Studio 4.5.2 - production,tons of imported samples and drum kits

Acid Pro 4.0 - for recording actual song tracks with my emcee friendsss.(M-audio Nova condenser mic w/shockmount and pop blocker along with Behringer UB802 for phantom power)

Adobe Audition 1.0 - for multi tracking my scratch tracks and other various projects.

side programs:

Sound Forge 6.0

Goldwave 4.26