Motek

15 members have voted

1. 1. and the winner is...

• KutClass
    • Symatic
    • RockWell

Guest Symatic

damn this was ages ago!

i'm going with adam's just cos we never do any electro battles. well its a dope beat too so its not 'just' cos of that

Guest petesasqwax

Voted for RW. Liked all of them but electro isn't really my cuppa so it was between Sy and RW. Really tought to call but went for RW because even though it was really quietly mixed in comparison to the other 2 (Sy's especially) when I boosted the volume it felt like Elephant Man was about to show up on it at any second

I went Kutclass too - I like the idea of watching you skilful mofos going at it over electro!

Pete - yeah I know it's quiet mix with hardly any master buss limiting. Thing is, we've got Paul's PA set up in the studio - nothing huge but still a couple of amps, four 15" top boxes and two subs re-coned with 1000w per side Lowrider drivers - and when you play stuff like this through it, it sounds better, warmer and less shouty with less limiting on the master... and yes, I realise what twat it makes me mixing it for the way it will never be played by anyone else!

On the completely nerdy side, it's made out of only six drum hits and just one single cello loop sample - the same loop is filtered four different ways for a main riff, bass drones and the two other little synthy parts. For some reason I like setting myself nerdy challenges.

Guest petesasqwax

Ha! - immense props for the nerdiness: I love that shit!

On that note: how did you all make your tracks (what software/hardware)?

Think Sy wins on the production front, but i can see my self cutting to Rockwells so i went for him. lets get voting so we can get the scratch battle on the go !

Guest Symatic

ha sick skills rockwell - i like hearing how people put shit together.

mines just loads of layered snares, turned on and off at different points to vary the overall snare, a big fat over-saturated bassline with some sort of filtering to give it a bit of wobble, and the weird chords are just completely random chunks of a lee perry track, slowed and time stretched and delayed.

i only made it to fit to 133.33 for some reason, cant remember what i was planning on doing with it. my mate suggested setting the tempo to 155.55 and it sounds dope at that speed.

Guest Symatic

Ha nice one pete. Youre right about the loudness though, mines like a big brick wall of noise compared to rockwells, no dynamics, just filth

Guest Symatic

Haha i did wonder how i should handle who would be the girl but i thought fuck it, i always do alphabetical so if im blaze im blaze. At least i can jump higher than the rest of you

Congrats kutklass by the way!

Ha I dunno who broke the tie, but thanks for the vote! I gotta admit, since I made the beat I really felt like I rushed it and cud have done better... I think I just used a very basic 808 kick for the bass line n I dont think it comes across on all speakers and really the beat is a bit too sparce. Anyway hopefully it shud leave enough range to get ur cuts in. Looking forward to hearing everyone kill it.

Last night in the studio it sounded great and we cut to it for many bars. It's a strange beat in that although it's uptempo but it's also very relaxed/laid back. The sparceness is it's strength I reckon - it's that same old thing of when you make a scratch beat that way you almost feel guilty about it being so minimal but when you scratch to it, you're glad it's that way.

Congrats mate BTW.

• Like 1