Describe your production process...

JHouse

Guest Symatic

dope vid ^^ that hair record is dope

just reminded me of this tune i made which ill post cos its vaguely relevant.

I made this by chopping up that Hair record in the barry beats vid and a break i had on breaktionary, i put em onto the SP-404 i used to use and chopped the break into a simple set of 4 one-shots that could all play out to finish the bar. the sample i chopped into 1/8th note chunks and arranged it on each of the rows of pads in groups of 4. so i had 4 drum samples and 8 Hair samples. I recorded myself playing it all together straight out of the SP-404. then a guy i know passed the beat to an MC who put the lyrics on, and he just made it all fit perfectly, like how he drops his lyrics around the vocal samples is well dope.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5tMhySw0Cl7N2NKYUhOWFRYWG8

sorry i cant upload to soundcloud for some reason......

I use a very basic set up of just Roland sp 404 and a mini disc recorder to make my own stuff with .

Ive also forgotten to mention the switch that controls the 'Madlib Expansion Pack' which is located underneath the base of the sp 404 has been permanently disabled.. :p

Guest petesasqwax

dope vid ^^ that hair record is dope

just reminded me of this tune i made which ill post cos its vaguely relevant.

I made this by chopping up that Hair record in the barry beats vid and a break i had on breaktionary, i put em onto the SP-404 i used to use and chopped the break into a simple set of 4 one-shots that could all play out to finish the bar. the sample i chopped into 1/8th note chunks and arranged it on each of the rows of pads in groups of 4. so i had 4 drum samples and 8 Hair samples. I recorded myself playing it all together straight out of the SP-404. then a guy i know passed the beat to an MC who put the lyrics on, and he just made it all fit perfectly, like how he drops his lyrics around the vocal samples is well dope.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5tMhySw0Cl7N2NKYUhOWFRYWG8

sorry i cant upload to soundcloud for some reason......

This is dope, Sy!

Guest Symatic

that hair record is dope

I've noticed a fuck-load of different recordings of it over the years, i have a few copies....

man i have a bunch of copies too and i havent even seen any of those you posted. there must be so many differnet productions.

I got the Moog Machine version of aquarious / sunshine though. that's dope

• Like 2

Guest petesasqwax

As a random aside which harks back to the original post... I'm getting really excited about playing with Maschine and quite like the idea of moving my entirely sampled stuff to that rather than Ableton.

Dubspot has been fuelling this with a combination of:

1. reminders of how much fun MPC-style production is

and

2. veteran producers nodding a lot

• Like 4

As a random aside which harks back to the original post... I'm getting really excited about playing with Maschine and quite like the idea of moving my entirely sampled stuff to that rather than Ableton.

Maschine is really fun to use. The software isn't great but once you get used to it.....

There's someone local selling a nearly new white Maschine MK2, with a blue faceplate kit, for $300. I'm actually cool with the white faceplate, so if I cop this Maschine, I might just sell the blue one. Waiting on funds from a client, which I'll hopefully have Friday.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

That's dope - how much does the blue faceplate kit go for? $300 is a nice price for Mk2 anyway (as you obvious know already!) so anything under that is basically theft.

that hair record is dope

I've noticed a fuck-load of different recordings of it over the years, i have a few copies....

man i have a bunch of copies too and i havent even seen any of those you posted. there must be so many differnet productions.

Nice, sample for Beastie Boys "Get it Together" at 1:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHLGd42UBY

Guest Symatic

that hair record is dope

Nice, sample for Beastie Boys "Get it Together" at 1:28

and the very next bar is sampled in The Avalanches "Diners Only" :)

• Like 1

That's dope - how much does the blue faceplate kit go for? $300 is a nice price for Mk2 anyway (as you obvious know already!) so anything under that is basically theft.

Looks like $69, according to Amazon and MPCStuff. I definitely want this drum machine, and will have the cash tomorrow to cop it, but concerned about relocating said funds to responsibilities first :)

Guest petesasqwax

I'm very aware of my ability to be a terrible influence at thus stage and therefore will say absolutely nothing further about it*

*until you've bought it ;)

• Like 2

My process takes various different forms, I've not been super involved for quite a while but these have been some of the usual ways I'd do something

Get some new vinyl, load up maschine and listen, if there's something that grabs me sample it in, chop it up and figure out a tempo and a pattern, then add drums, bass, sfx

Load an electric piano on ableton and play some chord loops in, then add drums and bass

If I'm doing something more dancy, often I'll start with drums and then pull up a synth and try and get the most simple hook in.

Invariably at this point with all those methods I start something else. Creating something new is addictive, but I've traditionally struggled with the discipline to actually arrange and finish a track.

When I do though, I drag stuff from session to arrange view in ableton, or as audio out of maschine into ableton, and start putting things together. I quite often set up the basic processing chain up right away so that I get some thickness as it keeps me interested - channel eq and compression and a master compressor perhaps.

Ive cursed myself with too much equipment and too much software in the past, and now I'm running much leaner - push2 is going to more or less replace maschine for me I think, although the pad size isn't as nice. I have a komplete kontrol s61, and I use ableton and komplete 11 ultimate and that's more or less it. Oh, i got uhe satin, the tape sim and I have perhaps one or two other things I quite fancy. There's way too much stuff in komplete though, so my next hurdle is organising proper user libraries in both komplete and ableton so that I can come away from the preset scrolling mentality that I absolutely never used to do but has completely taken over me - I think not having a single synth or whatever so that dials are all over the place and creating your own patches or at least tweaking something isn't intuitive is often a detriment...

Guest petesasqwax

Ive cursed myself with too much equipment and too much software in the past

I can relate to this 100%

At one stage I had masses of soft synths, plugins and controllers, but ended up getting rid of or uninstalling the vast majority of them because they were more of a distraction than a help. Now I have Ableton with a couple of soft synths, a handful of hardware synths and pedals & Maschine.

• Like 2

I was the same, I had TONS for freeware and cracked software. I no longer use freeware (except a few TAL bits) and I buy anything else, this way it stops me getting flooded with plugins. Having said that I bought two VST synths in the space of 3 months :wacko: