Mini Focus Fader

Guest rasteri

Guest rasteri

A a silly little side project I'm trying to build my own low-profile take on the Focus fader. I'm using the same basic idea that Focus used, but instead of using a slotted photo switch I'm using a photoreflector to make the whole thing a lot smaller.

The thing uses a BI Tech/TT Electronics fader as its base. The metal brushes have been removed and replaced with a white sticker to make it reflective, and the carbon track PCB has been replaced with my own stripboard-based board which has a Sharp photoreflector (this one : http://uk.farnell.com/sharp/gp2s60/photointerrupter/dp/1618427) soldered to it.

It works great, and IMO feels smoother than the mini innofader. Best part is it costs <£5 in parts! I can see this approach being useful for any projects that don't require fully analogue fader position detection.

• Like 8

Guest It'sPhilFromThursdays

Rasteri + Backtrack + DJ Focus = nothing but pure win-age for the scratch scene. Dopenezz.

Putting on my business advice hat (a jaunty neon green dearstalker) i'll remind you that you can get tax credits for R and D for stuff like this https://www.gov.uk/guidance/corporation-tax-research-and-development-rd-reliefand there are even companies that can help you get the cash for a small cut of the rebate, like these guys who i know http://breakthroughfunding.com/

Guest rasteri

It'll very likely work with an 05 yeah (the original focus fader did and it works on essentially the same principle), and it definitely works with my cut circuit.

Yeah it does seem like we're coming on a golden year of scratch modding - Backtrack with his 50% kit, John Beez with his Fretless Fader, various people with faderboxes.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

But what about use wear? Wouldn't the reflective paper worn out quickly?

It's a non-contact design so it's not under any mechanical stress. The paper doesn't actually touch the sensor, it sits about a millimetre away. I guess it might become yellowed over time but even then the sensor should pick it up as it would still be significantly more reflective than the environment. And hell we can always use white paint instead of a sticker...

100% Support this....

I took a sabbatical and sat under a tree for a few years..came back and the Innofader fooled everyone into thinking that it was the only way? That was one of my biggest disappointments. $120? $150 what da fudge....

Notice that Innofader V2 just got released with sharper cut, why did it take so many years? It's all coo it's business but imho some of the Artistry suffered because people got snookered into using the same ish an not many where doing some coo mods...Andy was working overtime...:-)

The Scratch Artist/Djs that just want to show up,cut it up and collect the money are super happy about the Innofader being in every mixer...

It's reassuring to get on something familiar anywhere in the world....

To those Artists that want to make their Guitar and connect with it on an Artistic level...It's easy to take apart a fader and add parts....All those circuits the Innofader has are overkill and misdirection...All you need is the sensors...Time to break the monopoly...

Full disclosure, my own ish is essentially the same as what Andy is doing but room for everyone. I got a dog in the race so I want this monopoly to stop and create a Paradigm shift....

I believe it's in everyone's best interest to support this shift because new Scratch Products can be created or modded without having to tack on that extra $100 dollars for a Innofader...No Need for that.....

Make your own, buy a DIY Upgrade,Purchase a Focus Edition....Get Andy's Nanofader kit and add Contacless Fader on a portable

table or choo choo train...Once that obstacle of price for con-tactless fader is removed, then everything and can be made Scratch Friendly...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Yooooo.... :)

Would you mind sharing what component / photoreflector you are using? - the link does not work for me somehow :(

I tried something with a photoresistor / led a while back... the fader was turning on/off (via reed switch) a LED that's been sitting in a shrink tube with a photoresistor. it was quit fiddly to adjust the distance/ but overall it was kinda ok but the curve was way to soft so I ditched the idea - seems like I wasn't that wrong though - didn't know about photoreflector until today .. guess the whole thing is mono but passive, right? super curious about this cause I love my non-wiper-fader :)

*edit
got it ...
SHARP GP2S60 PHOTOINTERRUPTER

Edited by wax inspektor