Phantazmagorea samples

Yoshi

Guest petesasqwax

HAHA! That's excellent. I pulled out Jelo Biafra's 'No More Cocoons' LP the other day and had completely forgotten that D had used that too. So much to go at on there, though

Has anyone mentioned the Dollar$ OST yet? When You're Smiling, Smorgasbord of Sodomy, etc...

Also, the "Uno, dos, tres, cuatro" sample on Hamburgers is from the Stop the Violence Movement - Self Destruction.

"Know your dope fiend" is a propaganda vid on Fear & Loathing.

I'm pretty sure that screechy siren thing on Planetary Deterioration is on the opening credits to Kill Bill.

Has anyone mentioned the Dollar$ OST yet? When You're Smiling, Smorgasbord of Sodomy, etc...

That's a good one. That's record has some other good stuff on there too if I remember.

Right of Spring is just a damn good record. Its one of those ones where I find myself buying it even though I already have 2 or 3 copies.

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic
I'm pretty sure that screechy siren thing on Planetary Deterioration is on the opening credits to Kill Bill.

Nice find ;)

Edited by Psychedelic Schizophrenic

HAHA! That's excellent. I pulled out Jelo Biafra's 'No More Cocoons' LP the other day and had completely forgotten that D had used that too. So much to go at on there, though

Still on my very long to own or listen to before I die album list :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

anybody know where that beautiful melancholic fender rhodes melody at the end of Clifford's Mustache is sampled from? still gives me goosebumps to this day...

i wanna know this too!

I think I've stumbled strangely across another one on the radio at work today but I'm not a 100 percent sure on this one tho. When I heard it I recognized it but couldn't place where from, until I was on my way home. I think D-Styles might of sampled Prince & The New Power Generation track "Gett Off" on F.U.P.M, the sample is prince screaming at the beginning.

Here's the only decent non live video off prince I could find that hasn't been silenced (yet :@@ )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Le_bX79LE

Pretty sure its the vocal that is being used at the 3.20ish mark on F.U.P.M

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Another vocal snippet used by D on The Murder Faktory track, sample is at the end of the Mikey Dread - Saturday Night Style track

• Like 3

Deeds, I've said it before, but I'm not sure anybody will ever touch this album when it comes to DJ shit. Dave's skills multiplied by his sickness in sample selection is just too ill. I'd love to get an interview with the man and get really in depth about this album. What sort of recording techniques he was using, what was his process, had he been sitting on ideas for years or did he just knock the album out, etc, etc.?

• Like 4

I got a copy of the lp from Deeswift when it was originally released and I hated it at first tbh but over time I came to appreciate it a lot ...it's a tremendously well crafted album and one of the very few scratch related records I could happily listen to from start to finish.

I liked Q-bert's Wavetwisters lp quite a bit and Mix Master Mike's Eye Of The Cyklops album is fucking dope but the D Styles record is even better in my opinion.

• Like 1

Deeds, I've said it before, but I'm not sure anybody will ever touch this album when it comes to DJ shit. Dave's skills multiplied by his sickness in sample selection is just too ill. I'd love to get an interview with the man and get really in depth about this album. What sort of recording techniques he was using, what was his process, had he been sitting on ideas for years or did he just knock the album out, etc, etc.?

I'd like to hear that. Would be super useful for my own production. I'm surprised no one has grilled him about it already.

A similar interview with Q-Tip would also be good!

I got a copy of the lp from Deeswift when it was originally released and I hated it at first tbh but over time I came to appreciate it a lot ...it's a tremendously well crafted album and one of the very few scratch related records I could happily listen to from start to finish.

I liked Q-bert's Wavetwisters lp quite a bit and Mix Master Mike's Eye Of The Cyklops album is fucking dope but the D Styles record is even better in my opinion.

Have you heard Scetchbook, Dan?

• Like 1

I liked Wavetwisters but came to realize that a lot of what I liked about it was Mix Maxter Mike's drums and Dave's composition in Razorblade Alcohol slide. Mike is the true bizzaro from that crew. That dude is just so unique. I somehow missed Eye of the Cykolps but checked it and it's dope of course. I still bump the hell out of Anti-Theft Device. Still, Mike can be a little fatiguing, where D-Styles doesn't have that effect on me. Dave's arrangements are much more traditional. I've peeped a lot of non-DJs to Phantazmagorea and they always tend to love it.