Danswift's Weird And Wonderful World Of Hi-Fi (Mega Thread)

Guest Symatic

Sy, I'm real interested in that tape delay project you're working on. If you sort it out please start a thread with the details.

cool, I could start one now cos I already have delay working on my reel to reel and have been messing with a Marantz CP-430 (AKA PMD-430 if youre in 'murrca) and it works, but it will require some modding to make it really dope.

I'll save it for the thread hahah

• Like 2

Two early 1980s boomboxes made exclusively for the Japanese domestic market and both very rare and desirable now.

Sharp GF-1000

A beast of a box with twin tape decks that can play normal,metal or chrome cassettes , four 16cm woofers,two of which are sub woofers with individual bass level control knobs & two horn tweeters.This one's had it's detachable front grille removed for the photo.

I would seriously love one of these but the prices they command are ridiculous.

XhK0xKf.jpg

Panasonic RX-7200

Single deck,16 & 5 cm speakers, fluorescent tuner display and faux wood grain side panels !

Its also one of the highest quality boomboxes ever made in terms of build, design and sound .

Compared to the sleek micro gadgets that people use today boomboxes are like electronic dinosaurs, dated as much by their ludicrous size as their outmoded technology but that's the exact reason why I think these things are so dope.

Being old and nostalgic has nothing to do with it whatsoever hehe.

VdLobG1.jpg

Guest rasteri

Not to repeat myself but techmoan did a vid on shitty 80s boomboxes

"It would transform you from being wack to being fresh"

Even got a fucking phono input

• Like 2

Another interesting boombox is this one from Casio.It's the Casio CK-200 which incorporated a 3 band radio plus a keyboard on top of the unit for instant spontaneous note pressing wonderousness while jamming along to your favourite intergalactic 1980's electro tunes or something along those lines I think.

It was mad anyway and unsuprisingly it wasn't a success.

Released in 1985 these were literally around for a very brief period ,this one in the picture was found 'new in the box' at an old electrical store that was due to close down and in the process of selling off the shops old stock.

There's one of these up for sale on ebay at the moment with a BIN price of $950.00 .

https://m.ebay.com/itm/CASIO-CK-200-BOOMBOX-GHETTOBLASTER-RADIO-RARE-VINTAGE-W-BUILT-IN-KEYBOARD-ORGAN/112502960876?hash=item1a31b2f2ec:g:CmMAAOSwixhZfruP

CkBUoaK.jpg

This was its big brother the Casio CK500

a keyboard with twin tape decks,radio receiver and more or less the CK200 in reverse .

I saw two of these keyboards for sale recently although they were listed 'for parts'.

Wheres the damn calculator on it tho.. :d

pQSrMRk.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Telefunken 2080 compact with metal chassis mounted turntable and 3 band radio circa 1970.

No tape deck incorporated into the stereo but it does have two aux inputs so hooking one up or a cd player etc is possible.

I saw one of these for sale a while ago and I was almost tempted to buy it as the seller was only asking for around 400 euro's for it .

4w3WFIn.jpg

The original ad poster.Note those weird and wonderful six sided hexagonal speakers !

XYwWN3u.jpg

You've also got to love that bottle green lid !

Hitachi TRK 9150-W Radio/cassette player from 1980.

A dude I know on another forum picked one of these up cheaply a couple of months ago cause the tape deck was broken..he's managed to get it fixed up now and told me that although the system only pushes around 15 watts of output it actually sounds really cool.

dXek7i5.jpg

A range of portable Phillips turntables

from the 70's, various model numbers are 423,523 ,623 etcetera and came supplied with single or twin speakers.

Someone needs to get hold of one of these bad boys and stick a fader in there...cmon dudes get modding for the next SSS hehe.

KMecR2x.jpg

MBh8Oob.jpg

B2wbxly.jpg

• Like 2

Guest Symatic

haha yeah man, i was looking at classic portables and i've nearly bought a columbia gp3 many times..... oh fuck theres one on ebay for not much.... LOOK AWAYYYYYYY

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to buy an old boom box and it didn't work. Figured no problem--I can often fix shit if it's not too complex. Wrong. Basically half the parts had dry rotted into a wax material and fuck knows how I'll ever get replacement parts. Altho, now that I'm thinking about it, I should figure out how to turn it into a Bluetooth speaker.

• Like 1

I've tried to buy an old boom box and it didn't work. Figured no problem--I can often fix shit if it's not too complex. Wrong. Basically half the parts had dry rotted into a wax material and fuck knows how I'll ever get replacement parts. Altho, now that I'm thinking about it, I should figure out how to turn it into a Bluetooth speaker.

The casette section normally has a direct Line to the amp, you just need to find that and pop a car bluetooth dongle in it if it takes 8 batteries, those run off 12v.

• Like 1