Reggae Dancehall Riddim/Instrumental Compilations?

Mike-L

Does anyone know of any Reggae Dancehall Riddim/Instrumental Compilations at all? In particular I'm after some of the well established classics.

I feel like I searched everywhere, but most of the results from google & discogs are low bit rate downloads, compilation CD's of versions on 1 riddim ( a whole CD's worth no less!) or just regular vocal version compilations.

Any overstanding to share on this matter will make I-n-I feel irie.

Jah Bless

As you said, for quite while any Greensleeves ones came out on albums compiling all the different versions of the one riddim. I've got the Jumbie one and I think one of the Martial Arts ones on 2LP (there were actually two double LPs for Martial Arts as it was so big). But prior to that or for ones in other labels you just had to get a single with the plain riddim on the flip. In more recent years, hardly any Jamaican music comes out on physical media so I think dubious quality MP3s floating round the net might be it.

I can think of a couple of friends that might be able help out though... I'll see if they have any better ideas than me.

Guest petesasqwax

Yeah, there are loads of riddim albums which compile a stack of different versions on the same riddim, but albums which feature only the riddims themselves... only Now Thing that I know of.

Eric - era-wise im thinking right through from the70's Studio one era to 80's digital & 90's ragga. To start with I'm after instrumentals of well known classics - Sleng Teng, Here I Come etc. This is a good site which covers some of the most versioned tracks :

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/antreas72heep/50_most_used_popular_riddims_in_reggae/

I found one compilation which has 8 or 9 of those. There's a Soul Jazz comp of just instrumentals, but the focus isn't on sure-fire classics like these.

Pete - thanks for the tip off. i'll check that out.

DJ Rock Well, on 23 Jun 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

But prior to that or for ones in other labels you just had to get a single with the plain riddim on the flip. In more recent years, hardly any Jamaican music comes out on physical media so I think dubious quality MP3s floating round the net might be it.

Yeah that's what I noticed. There's definitely a market for them - Ive found sites selling batches of instrumentals for $20 or so.You'd think someone would do legit CD's/download compilations of good audio quality. My goal eventually is to get a few of the original 7s , but I want to get a batch of good stuff to bung into Serato first to play around with. That's fairly simple for vocal stuff but for mixing it pays to have the instrumentals to play with - especially given how the tracks get covered with vocals. My vinyl reggae collection is pretty meager at the moment, its less than 40 records I'd say, bought at opportune moments from charity shops & car boot sales so it's a fairly idiosyncratic selection too.

Wow Sy that link looks great - a good resource to learn from.Thanks!