Making the start of a mix punchy

doppelkorn

What's people's opinion of this? What I mean is jamming tons of tracks, instros, acapellas and cuts inot the first 5 minutes of a mix to give it a really busy feel. I like it personally.

I can't think of any standout examples off the top of my head right now :(

Well then this one might tickle your bones.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

I like a punchy, choppy changy start then a chilled out phase then a building up middle for people to dance to then a weird bit then a long, drawn out ending with all the hits. Kind of like a good rock gig.

I like it only if the rest of the mix keeps up that pace, or at least, if the mix has multitracked elements in it. Otherwise, it's like bragging about having a big dick when it can't get hard.

pure gold.

• Like 1

i found with my mixes, that if i put a nice vocal track with the feel im going for overall at the start people tend to listen.

i like to warm up to a mix, so tend to start off a bit slower/mellow.

but then again thats dnb, im assuming ur talking about hiphop

what steve said.

but this is one of my fave examples: Buddy Peace- Braille Megamix (I'm not obsessed with his music, honest):

http://soundcloud.com/buddypeace/buddy-peace-braille-promo-megamix-07

It wasn't for the start of a mix but as a promo tool for the club night I used to play at regularly in Kingston, but is a great megamix that could be the intro to a mixtape.

what steve said.

but this is one of my fave examples: Buddy Peace- Braille Megamix (I'm not obsessed with his music, honest):

http://soundcloud.com/buddypeace/buddy-peace-braille-promo-megamix-07

It wasn't for the start of a mix but as a promo tool for the club night I used to play at regularly in Kingston, but is a great megamix that could be the intro to a mixtape.

Damn, that was nice!

its very likely it would. it would be more like production than djing... djs have to walk a fine line between just playing other peoples tracks and making their own. i mean a mixtape, in the traditional sense, is for a dj to showcase music he loves as much as his skills. so you want to showcase that tune as a work of art and not so much a tool for your own art... which is what i feel most turntablism is about. which is why alot of battle turntablists dont have mixtapes available; many of them probably dont mix well. the ones who do have moments and interludes where they really go off and showcase skills peppered throughout a solid mix. someone posted a mix on dj forums a while back that was a little over an hour and had some plus 200 tracks featured. i applauded the effort as a genuine work of art, but after a week or two it lost its charm and revealed itself to not be one of those timeless mixes that you can listen to again and again.