70 BPM/low BPM Scratch help!

miggydb

hey guys, so im pretty okay with 100 bp scratches up to around 120

but when i do 70 bpm i suck shit and i dont know how to scratch at all,

it either sounds so boringly slow or too fast for me if I go double time

how should i deal with this / practice or what good scratches are good for slow breaks

Heres a sample of my 70bpm scratch

http://www.mixcrate.com/roydeborja/70-bpm--9058340

Well, I don't know if it's related to technique or style but mixing up triplets and sixteenth notes patterns over various tempos can be very helpful in my opinion. Around 0:19 you're doing an OG Flare in triplets, right? Maybe try it also in continuous sixteenth note patterns at 100 bpm. It will be around the same speed and I feel like lots of new school scratching is based on dotted notes patterns (Boomerangs, Chirp Flares, Prisms or any other pattern that is 6 notes long scratched in a binary rhythm). This way you can practice the same pattern at different tempos. It also helps with overall articulation because a Boomerang with an accent on every third note might sound more natural in triplets and it might be easier to see if you get the pattern right.

People like D-Sytles also does stuff like triplet Boomerangs at slow tempos and slowly raises the pitch, then he switches to a Boomerang in sixteenth or thirtysecond notes.

Here's an example of Excess at 1:42 - he starts in sixteenth notes, then changes to sixteenth triplets / sextuplets and finally arrives at thirtysecond notes.

Slower tempos also allow you to space out everything - transforms over very slow record motions as a starting point for other combos and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTEUPiwvck

Disclaimer: What do I know about scratching? Also, keep up the good work! :)

actually at 0:19 I was trying to do a somewhat a boomerang without the reverse one cause reverse just messes me up so I just do the first half of the boomerang repeat idk if that scratch is called something.

But damn! I tried chirp flare before, it feels off cause it gets off beat most of the times. I do chirp 2 click flare more which is kinda easier for me case I suck at flares I can go past 80 bpm with a flare orbit.

Thanks so much bro! the video was dopee!! idek what shit they do lol cant follow.

Well, I guess that most people who can do the Chirp Flare now, remember that it was kind of awkward at first. Practicing it slowly and maybe without any beat at all, might help to wrap your head around those triplet patterns. Counting out loud is king - it won't take too long to get there, but it's painful at first to your ego! :)

http://dj-chile.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/chirp-flare-variations.pdf

So for every line in the diagram make sure, to tap your foot in an even rhythm or count like "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and" - in the first example, you'd start the Chirp on the 1, forward movement of the Flare on 2 and backward movement on 3. Once, this works, try it without the pause, so you start the combo on 4, the next time on 3 and so on. That'd be a 3-4-polyrhythm over a 4-4 beat.

For changing the rhythm from binary to ternary, maybe try a slow drum loop in triplets like this one:

Welcome to my world!

Actually, if the slow beat is a nice swingy hip hop beat I can cope because I can do a few triplet scratches/flows. But when it comes to the really straight double beats that need double cuts on them, I'm lost. I've learnt a couple scratches for these kind of beats, mostly just through joining in with mates who do, but my flow is non-existent.

TBH, my heart's not really in it either. Sometimes I wish I could join in with the big boys, but when I have time to practice I'd rather spend it on music I actually like.

• Like 1

@erick bro! damn that really helped! I see pro scratch people with the wiggly hand tehcnique but I cant seem to get it. but i dont think that necessary right? but dude! it really helped! ill post another track with what I got

@mfsop Ill surely include that!

@rockwell I feel you bro! I really dont want to get into this, but im making a routine, and theres a dull part there which is perfect for scratching because criteria has "scratchihg/tricks" in it so I need to there, but the thing is its a 70bpm which is like another world for me. it sucks!

• Like 1

eric, what a beast. youre damn good bro, hands down to you!!!

Certainly showed me how its done,

Is it me or is the beat like not really good for scratching or im just not comfortable in it. idk.

but srsly tho, SO GOOD! I still got like 10 days for this so id be practicing my ass off till then. Thanks for the vid!

Guest rasteri

I find 3-click techniques like swing flares and crescent flares etc work well at 70/140 bpm once you get up to speed with them (or just give up and crab).

• Like 1

i find og flares work. other than that. nothing works lol

If you can do og flares at the tempo then you should be able to do 16th note orbits because the fader movements are the same. Also if you feel you can cut at 120 how about starting 120/ 60bpm and gradually working your existing patterns up.

As mentioned triple click variations are a staple at >70 Bpm but they're very useful for combinations at all tempos so you could try these in your comfort zone too and gradually work up.

Broadband is essential but also to enter mine n Eric's private man room sometimes an application and screening is required ... And Eric stood me up last night :$