Random Keys not working on a laptop

savwar

my girlfriend is selling an old laptop, a Sony Vaio with XP from about 6 years ago.

i was gonna remove some files and stuff she had on it today and i noticed the return key isn't working...

then i noticed the delete and backspace and one of the Ctrl keys aren't either...

page up seems to work but page down doesn'tand

F4 does but F3 doesn't

read a few things on the net one of which required to get into safe mode.. but i couldn't as F8 wouldn't work either..

it hasn't had anything spilled on it or taken a hit or anything. we actually hadn't turned it on for about 3 months.

could it be a physical connection issue?

could it be another program or some shit??

The model is a Vaio VGN-FS315M went to the sony site to see if there was drivers for it, but its no longer listed.

actually there's a different model number on the underside which is PCG-7D1M

any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

If it was just the special function keys that some laptops have then I would have said that it was a driver issue, but if regular keys like backspace and Ctrl aren't working then I think it points to a physical problem with the keyboard itself.

The keyboard will almost certainly connect to the main board of the laptop via one of those really thin ribbon cables and my guess is that that's become damaged. Reseating it may fix the problem, or you may be able to replace it. There are guides on YouTube if you need one.