Nintendo unveil their new hybrid handheld/console, Nintendo Switch

Steve

• 1 month later...

That's reasonable. Sucks you have to pay for online play but whatever. I'm not gonna get one right away since I just got an xbone but eventually will.

http://kotaku.com/everything-we-know-about-nintendo-switch-updating-1791137531

No region locking!!! Hai dozo!

Up to 6 hrs play on a charge (3hrs for Zelda FYI, Jam)

Local 8 player capability

Splatoon 2, Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Skylanders, Puyopuyo Tetris, Bomberman

... looks fresh!

But you get a free NES or SNES game each month! If that doesn't convince Steve then nothing will.

Do you also get a free pair of rose tinted spectacles so those games might be remotely enjoyable?

Steve is on the money, unfortunately. I still hold out some hope that I would enjoy Zelda and Secret of Mana again on the SNES. And Sim City.

Anyway my credit card just got declined at GAME for fraud prevention. I think this could be a sign that God didn't want me to get one and I should call it quits.

Yeah, I'm don't have a ton of time to play either and so mostly would be buying for the kiddos with some upside for me. Right now they are pretty good to go with DS and WiiU.... will probably buy one next x-mas tho.

So the online features of Switch, including voice chat, are going to be done through an app you run on your smartphone, and you won't be able to voice chat to friends unless you pay. lol. Good luck with that!

Still, this increases the chance of Nintendo being the next Sega, so I'm all for that.

Wake up and smell the coffee! It has happened. That's literally what the Switch is. They are done with consoles and it's a brilliant, ballsy choice. Handhelds is what they do best and better than anyone else.

If they were selling this primarily as a handheld, they wouldn't have the dock packed in with it. That's an accessory that they're gonna sell separately for $90 if people want a second one, but you can't buy a Switch without one. It's not cheap, yet you're forced to buy it.

As a handheld it's great for short trips to the shitter. If you're planning on taking it on a plane trip, don't forget to take the suitcase-sized extra battery pack so it'll last more than 25 minutes of playing a 720p version of a console game from 2008.

lol. If there's one thing Nintendo can do is build boss batteries. I don't know how they do it but they do. Everything I've read is saying that the short end of the battery will be 2 hrs but more for most games. The size does concern me tho. And the portability compared to the previous clam designs. I need to hold one to see what I think. As far as price tho, the docking station is badass. Basically you get it for free is how I see it since a 3DS XL is same price as the Switch will be. What's great IMO is in typical Nintendo fashion someone asked why have this charger be just a charger? Lets make it a dock too. Brilliant.

But you get a free NES or SNES game each month! If that doesn't convince Steve then nothing will.

This is even worse than I thought. On the PS4 or Xbox One, you get 4+ "free" games every month, which you can play as long as you subscribe to Live/PSN. If you stop subscribing, you lose access to the games, but you regain access when you start subscribing again. So it's like permanent rentals of games, where your collection grows over time. If you subscribe to Xbox Live for 12 months, you'll have 48 games in your collection at the end of the year, for example.

With the Switch, you will get a "free" game to play every month, but you can only play that game for that month. When the next game is made available, you lose access to the previous game.

Still, when they go third party, I'll be playing Mario Kart on my Xbox, so I don't care anyway.....

• Like 1

I see. The deals for Gold members has some good discounts. IDK if that's just because it was around Christmas but hopefully it's regularly good. Altho I was pretty hacked that I bought GTA and then the next week it went on sale for half price.

• 1 month later...