Hi guys (and gals).
I was doing some routine maintenance on my DJM 250mk2 and thought I'd share you guys some pics of the insides. What else is there to do on a nice saturday afternoon...except some hardware porn.
Bought this fun little mixer about 6 months ago and it's become one of my favorites. It's an absolute bargain for the price (I paid about 350€) and the Magvel is quite a clever and pretty well engineered crossfader.
As a bonus I picked up this box from a trip to Ikea today, just in case I need to transport it around...it's called Samla in case someone else is interested.
You need to remove 12 screws to get to the innards: 6 for the faceplate, 4 for channel fader assembly, 2 in the front.
The first annoying thing...a clear plastic tab that holds circuit boards together. It makes disassembly pretty fiddly and you can't use long screw drivers to take the crossfader out. You could cut it, but I want be on the safe side in case of warranty issues. I guess it's just there to keep idiots like me from doing any self repairs.
And here we have the Magvel crossfader. According to Pioneer part number, it's the same as on some of their Serato controllers (already forgot the name). Only 4 screws hold the thing together and the housing is all plastic, so you have to be careful about not ruining the threading. It's solid though, I've already taken this apart maybe 4-5 times and it's still holding together.
After removing the cover...
Not the two rubber bumpers on both ends between the two rails. Before Pioneer released the first firmware update to make the cut-in super sharp, I had made a hardware mod with plastic sheet and rubber to make it the way I wanted. After the update I switched back to the stock setup. The option is still there though...
Once you've opened the cover you can basically just dump the parts out. The whole thing's held together by the screws on the housing. So simple and easy compared to the Vestax's, P&G's, Innofaders and Pro X's I've taken apart and modded the last 18 years. The white cog holds the magnet inside, forgot to take it out for the photo.
Note the tube of Deoxit...professional.
A close-up of the fader stem assembly...
The tension spring on the stem assembly. Funny enough, I hadn't noticed before that there's an actual tension adjuster screw. Sorry for the sh**y pic, it's the white thing on the right side of the stem. Pretty cool to see that, even though I like to keep my cross fader butter smooth...and I can tell you it's super nice after some Deoxit Fader.
From the other side you can see the tension screw mechanism...
More pictures of the stem assembly. The first time I opened the fader, I noticed a lot of black gunk on the rails. The plastic holding the rail seems to wear quite a lot if you don't keep it sufficiently lubed. I had made a mistake the first time around by using some basic electronics spray lube. I dries pretty easily, but since switching back to Deoxit, no wear at all.
Putting the thing back together, the most important thing is to line up the cogs correctly. Since it's software controlled, the crossfader basically won't work unless it's put back together in the correct way. Just line up the hole on the magnet with the cogs on the stem assembly after moving the stem to one side. I removed the bottom rail just to get a better picture.
And that's about it. Thanks for looking.
Edited by A-Skate, 25 November 2017 - 03:17 PM.