Moving forward with beat battles, etc.

DJ Rock Well

Obviously I'm still well up for doing these as long as there's interest (which there seems to be). I've got records saved up for 2017 already and I'll no doubt find more along the way, plus I'm thinks my of instigating a few other random challenges along the way which won't have specific source material but still have rules or certain guidelines/limitations (more on that as and when I make something up).

For now, I'm most keen to sort out some kind of document of what we've done so far. IMO these battles have produced some real fire but at the moment it's spread all over the place, if available at all. What I've mentioned before and still can't better is the idea of compiling some kind of digital release on Bandcamp.

If we were to do a Bandcamp digital album, what do we need to sort out?

Obviously I'm not thinking of charging money for this as the logistical nightmare of splitting up tiny profits for music made from unlicensed samples is a headache I refuse to be involved in. If anybody doesn't want to be involved for that reason, fair enough.

Beyond that, I'm wondering if we should include every entered beat from everyone or wether we should perhaps just submit our favourites? Or perhaps everyone includes up to three tracks of their choosing (if they've done that many). I dunno, but personally I tend to lean towards trimming the fat in my own stuff but maybe that's just me.

Artwork - we should have a cover image at least which somebody who isn't me will need to do.

Being samples we don't own, I wonder how much we should make of this on accompanying blurb. As in the whole point of this is our different takes on a same sample, but named big every sample source might just lead to our 'album' being taken down. Maybe we keep that side of things just for us here on DV and just badge this as beats from a beat battle and don't specify further?

Finally, nobody has to have there stuff involved if they don't want to for any reason. Although on a personal note, I hope at least most of it dies because we've built up quite strong body of work here and I think it should be celebrated.

Please share your thoughts in the comments!

• Like 2

Forgot to say, I've only really considered Bandcamp through my own ignorance. Please enlighten me if there are better ways to do this. Also, if anybody wants to do anything else with these like make a looper or preposterously high budget music videos, then all the better. I'm just aiming for something I might stand a chance of doing myself here... Don't let my limitations hold you back :)

Guest petesasqwax

I'm 100% down with this on loads of levels.

I'm happy to do whatever might be needed in terms of music, design, loopers - whatever, basically. Making a comp of all the winners was my first thought, but that would mean some real beauties would go by the wayside, which would be a bit gutting.

I've got more thoughts, but I'm lacking time right now so I'll try to compose them better a bit later on.

• Like 1

Guest petesasqwax

I'm examining my laptop for the "waters port" - I can only assume that's what the hashtag #watersports can be referring to

• Like 1

You mean to say water skiing to work today to keep up with current trends was a waste of time?!

I just had another unrelated thought - I remembered what DJs used to do before the popular distractions of scratching, making beats and talking smack on the internet... Mixing! If anybody has any sort of desire to make some kind of mix from this stuff, that's a good plan too.

I think we should just take the tunes that came out on top of each months challenge and compile an album of the tracks..

Add 'Gerry's Theme' by Gerald Cock as the secret hidden bonus track and everybody is a winner in my opinion... :d

• Like 1

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

I can help out towards this project if required Rocky, just let me know mate.

God damn it really is a tough one on how to choose the material to include on this compilation, take the top track of each month, have a massive vote on what tracks are to be on it or let people that entered submit upto x amount of entries?

The first logical step in my mind would be to find out who doesn't want to be on the complication and then decide how to determine the issue with finding what tracks to include.

• Like 2

I'm definitely inclined to include more than just the winning entries... Apart from the fact that many months have included several beats I could've easily voted for (or did) that didn't win, what we have here is much more than 12 good tracks (which will be the easist to find anyway as they all have their own thread here).

As I said above somewhere, I feel this could perhaps be an exercise in collating the larger body of work in one place so I can be found more easily more than being about making the winner's parade. Maybe there's scope to do both though?

At the risk getting mercilessly pulled apart in the SJW thread, every time I listen to the entries to choose a winner it seems like winning is the last thing that matters.

• Like 3

It might be nice to allow for donations that go to DV server fees and a stuff.

Obviously I'm not thinking of charging money for this as the logistical nightmare of splitting up tiny profits for music made from unlicensed samples is a headache I refuse to be involved in. If anybody doesn't want to be involved for that reason, fair enough.

• Like 1

If anybody has any sort of desire to make some kind of mix from this stuff, that's a good plan too.

I'm happy to put a mix together if needed. My mates rates are still free but they're set for a post brexit price hike comparable to a Rob swift Skype lesson. And you don't want my scratching over it, so if anyone decent wants to do that then feel free! ;-)

It might be nice to allow for donations that go to DV server fees and a stuff.

That is a good shout Dirk. As long as it's not risking any 'cease & desist' type fire on this forum, it can all be for DV hosting, etc.

• Like 1

Yeah, contributions contributing towards DV hosting fees and such is a solid idea.

In terms of a DV album, maybe make several over time, around 12 tracks each. And yes, trim the fat. Basically, add ones to the album(s) that are must haves, perhaps by vote as mentioned above.

On a related note, I'm super happy about these beat battles. Thanks Rock Well for keeping this shit alive, and props to the producers for providing the meat. I seriously want to get involved, just trying to get some production gear and software in place, namely Maschine initially. I've used FL with success, but really like making beats on the fly, in real time.

• Like 2

On second thought, I'm not waiting till I get Maschine, I'm just gonna make beats literally from skratch for the time being. If anybody can recommend some good, free multitracking software for a PC, I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

On second thought, I'm not waiting till I get Maschine, I'm just gonna make beats literally from skratch for the time being. If anybody can recommend some good, free multitracking software for a PC, I'd be grateful.

Why join the navy when you can be a pirate?

• Like 3

I seriously want to get involved,

Awesome.. come on dude !

Ive said it before but the beat battle thread is my favourite section of the forum and the more people who get involved in these challenges the better in my opinion... jeez Rock Well even managed to pull me out of retirement after 10 years without a sampler which im still cursing him for btw and especially over the last few days cause ive been working on a new track that is seriously doing my head in as I must have gone through about 300 different samples trying to find the right ones to fit...

Fuck you Rock Well, why have you done this to me !... :((

(I jest of course)

The ends of my fingers were like horses hooves before the Bob James battle from years of acoustic guitar playing but now all they yearn for are soft squashy drum pads underneath them ..

• Like 2

I really try not to pirate, including music and software. I only jack Photoshop and Dreamweaver 'cause Adobe won't accept PayPal, otherwise I'd pay.

@Symatic - I use Audacity for chopping tracks, but had no idea it's multitracking software. Thanks for the tip, I'll start using it in forthcoming battles.

• Like 1

I really try not to pirate, including music and software. I only jack Photoshop and Dreamweaver 'cause Adobe won't accept PayPal, otherwise I'd pay.

@Symatic - I use Audacity for chopping tracks, but had no idea it's multitracking software. Thanks for the tip, I'll start using it in forthcoming battles.

I pirated Ableton till I knew I liked it then bought it because I liked it and used it so much and wanted to support them.

• Like 3