BEAT BATTLE: SAMPLE CHALLENGE - The Drummer's Own Album

Ok, here's the joint effort from myself and Paul (Dubba Dutch).

All sounds come from the record, except a little high passed percussion loop I got from these dodgy old EPs of isolated drum tracks, plus vocal samples from elsewhere of course.

I was originally gonna do a track of several little beats all within one track and I made the first part with some repitched bass notes and some hits chopped from a drum fill. Then Paul heard it, reckoned it reminded him of some old Cut Chemist sort of vibe and elaborated by pulling up a couple of appropriate samples in Traktor and cutting them over it. It sounded really good so I hit record while he freestyled some cuts with hot cues and effects for a couple of minutes (anyone who knows Paul, will know the sort thing I mean). Then I took away the bits and put it all together.

With the limited time frame, it's short and simple. I might do more with it one day. Although for now we've other new ones to be getting on with.

Once again, I've been very 90s ;)

https://soundcloud.com/dj-rock-well/rock-well-dubba-dutch-rough-break

• Like 2

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Was looking forward to the Rye Crew bringing the noise on this beat battle and you guys didn't disappoint..... Dope stuff :8

• Like 3

No speakers/Decks/Mic set up (Just sold my studio, fed up recording others) at the minute, so i snipped it so it wasn't too long and boring, everything is from the recordings, nothing else used.

(The mixdown is probably shite hahaha)

Edited by Flexinoodle
  • Like 1

Guest Symatic

well heres the results of the 20 minutes i actually spent making something :) sorry I just didnt make the time !

• Like 2

Yeah agreed...

good work all round from everyone -really liked Psyches track and Rock and Dubbas mix was proper on point and Sy yours was a wicked little loop which pricked up my ears because of the Funk elements you were bringing (its always a good way to get my attention funnily enough)

Good stuff yet again dudes

looking forward to hearing what Fayc and Doob and anyone else whos entering the battle come up with this time as well

@Flexinoodle

Get your link fixed bro !

Aaaah shit, its not actually my fault, its DVs built in flash player thats causing the issue on some browsers, the link is fine, ill just take it down, im mobile and dont have time to set up a sound cloud or anything, sorry about that.

Ahh right...

im not using a pc at the moment just a phone or tablet as our computer is having work done on it and isn't hooked up to the broadband at the moment

My Chrome browser on phone and tablet doesn't support flash as far as i know but ive read that theres a browser called Dolphin i can install which does support it

I would hate to not be able to judge Flexis mix against the others and will have to abstain from the vote otherwise

Updated my post with a soundcloud, hopefully that works out better ;)

Ive just had a listen now mate thats a nice old skool vibe your bringing there and the drums are really tight too

Thanks for hooking up the soundcloud thingy as I didnt want to not be able to hear your mix and have to miss out on the voting as Beat Battle is my favourite thread on DV

Oh yeah apart from the GOAT Breaks and Beats thread that I started with love for all the break vultures on here but no one bothers posting in or reading anymore you ghetto dwelling bitches lol :@@

Ok, so Fayc's on the way. Doob - are you in on this one one mate?

Dan - I do keep an eye on the GOAT breaks thread for sure and I always listen to your recommendations even if I don't comment. Although for me, a lot of the joy of digging for breaks is just that - finding what I find (or don't find) each week. Of course I always keep an eye out on your posts in case I'm lucky enough to find them, but I don't think there's any breaks I'll ever hear and just have to hunt down these days. Partly because I have no money for such things and hunting them down nowadays basically means going on discogs and paying through the nose for them, but also because as I learn more about chopping, rearranging and processing breaks, it's less about finding that great loop and more about what I do with them. For instance, the sort of faux amen type break I've used in this beat battle is just a rough two bar measure taken from a random drum solo with a lot of ride cymbal on it. The original was weedy and played a totally different pattern, so I chopped out each individual hit and processed them differently before putting them back together in a different pattern to suit my needs. Please don't ever stop posting up your recommendations in the GOAT thread though, I'm always keen to learn more.

• Like 1

I wasn't having a moan and i was only jesting when i mentioned the GOAT Breaks and Beats thread

I like posting up not just breaks people may not have heard of but just music in general

I hear you on the prices of the original breaks on discogs though ive been on there and have been both amazed and also outraged at what some of the prices are for those records

Unless I could find a decently priced original copy

i personally always looked out for the cheap reissued versions of these lps especially as most of them i wanted just for the drumbreaks and not the music

Anyway I digress -I shall keep posting GOATs through the electronic letterbox (if only to keep you happy Rock)

• Like 1

Ok, so Fayc's on the way. Doob - are you in on this one one mate?

Prob gonna give it a miss. I had a listen and nothing took my fancy. Which to be fair is a shit excuse coz I never find any thing on the first listen. Any way, nah.

Guest Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Oh yeah apart from the GOAT Breaks and Beats thread that I started with love for all the break vultures on here but no one bothers posting in or reading anymore you ghetto dwelling bitches lol :@@

I do enjoy reading the GOAT breaks thread Mr Swift, just been so busy lately I've not had a chance to post any of my favourite breaks up yet :( I will get round to it at some point..... Nothing beat chopping a break up on the MPC ;)

• Like 1