Calibrating tonearm screws, Stanton str8 150

Dubba Dutchdj

So I picked up a pair of used Stantons via gumtree recently and sadly didn't notice that one had a temperamental tonearm until I got it home :(

Basically the needle doesn't track properly, and upon adjusting the weight you can that something's not right by the way the tone arm balances compared to the working deck.

If it's not the bearings I'm guessing that adjusting the screws on the tonearm may fix the issue?

Anyone got any experience/advice with adjusting tonearm screws?

Alternatively I'm looking at jus replacing with new fixtures. Google has reared two results for complete replacement of the tonearm and mounting, both of which are in America, gonna cost round £120ish by the time I get it to the UK, boo.

Which leads me to my next question, anyone know EU suppliers for Stanton/OEM parts?

Guest rasteri

Yep, focusrite has STR8-150 tonearm assemblies for £72.50 inc VAT + £5.00 shipping. Email sales@focusrite.com.

That said it might be possible to fix it, what exactly is not right about the tonearm balance? Is the tonearm rattly compared to the other one or something?

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

Basically the inner screw sets the tightness of the bearing, and the outer screw locks that setting in place.

If it's just been overtightened then you might be able to fix it. Loosen the outside screw, then loosen the inside screw, then tighten the outside screw.

90% of the time when someone overtightens the inner screw that fucks up the bearing though :( Hopefully that's not the case.

• Like 1

90% of the time when someone overtightens the inner screw that fucks up the bearing though :(

Ah thats what happened to my remaining 1200, another deck I must resurrect for the Back Trak beast mod :)

Cheers for the advice Andy, I'll have a play about, to be fair a brand new tonearm assembly wouldn't be a bad thing if it comes to it.

Guest Symatic

Basically the inner screw sets the tightness of the bearing, and the outer screw locks that setting in place.

If it's just been overtightened then you might be able to fix it. Loosen the outside screw, then loosen the inside screw, then tighten the outside screw.

90% of the time when someone overtightens the inner screw that fucks up the bearing though :( Hopefully that's not the case.

yeah i managed to NOT fuck up the bearing on my mates technics recently, i was worried about doing it cos i knew the bearings are really sensitive. but in his case the arm wouldn't swing as freely as the other so it would skip when playing cos it was to stiff. it sounded like something might have fell on the deck at some point and kinda squished the little pin bit at the top of the tone arm, i guess the top part of the gimbal mechanism?

but i just loosened it a little bit and the arm swung freely again. i just had to be careful of tightening it up again to get it to not rattle but not so tight as to break something.

i used 2 tiny screwdrivers, one to hold the middle screw in place and one to loosen the outer screw and vice versa

• Like 1