Feedback on track

Tbtf

Yeah,Steve has a point here.

Try doing another mix where the samples/piano sounds are a little more cohesive and not so 'jumpy' and it would sound much better in my opinion.

I like the vocal samples and the melody of the tune is actually rather nice but the beat is a little too stiff and tinny for my personal taste but then again I'm a bit of a nutcase when it comes to using sampled drums in my own music hehe.

I would just suggest you keep experimenting and developing things,try all kinds of different drum sounds etc,I often write tracks that start out with beats I really want to use and then completely discard the drum track for something different altogether,i think I went through at least 4 or 5 different rhythm tracks over the space of a month before I was satisfied with my own latest mix for example,so its always good to change things up a bit.

Keep doing what you're doing,you'll find your own style in time but these things take time so don't rush it and the most important thing to remember here is to have fun while you're doing it !

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks a lot for the feedback. I am going to go back to the drawing board on the chops and try and make is sound less jumpy. Best advice i have gotten so far everyone else ive showed the track to never has anything constructive to say so i appreciate it fellas!

also @danswift, what do you mean by stiff? I take it you are strictly talking about the drums here?

• Like 1

Yeah man the drums for sure,it's just a personal preference of mine as I like drum beats with a lot of elasticity and swing which is why I only ever use drum samples played by real drummers that have lots of drum fills on the snares and toms,odd time signatures and stuff like that,just diversity in the drum break more than anything else.

Like I said I'm a bit of a nutcase when it comes to drums for sampling but I started out on the skins when I was 13 years old and grew up listening to a lot of Jazz and big band music as a teenager,so that's just those influences coming into play really I guess,but I just can't seem to shake those said influences off when it comes down to my own productions !

Hey guys i edited the chops up and uploaded the changes. It still is a bit jumpy i think how steve says, however i dont just want to loop the sample add the drums and bassline and say i made a beat (kinda feels like its cheating)

I changed the part of the section of the main sample which had drums so now the beat sounds fuller IMO too.

Let me know what you fellas think.

https://soundcloud.com/faderhead/caring4aghost/s-t5Lm0

And Dan, i feel you i can only do super simple drums and i drum these in myself this is probably why the drums sound so stiff / basic.

• Like 2

thanks dan and steve for the feedback, ill definitely finish the arrangement and upload it tonight. It was definitely nice to hear some feedback other than sounds good, so thanks for that.

this beat is older but if you can let me know what you think of this track as well that would be dope!

https://soundcloud.com/faderhead/theinternetsdown2

Cool.

You should get in on the DV beat battles man !

What recording gear are you using to produce your music with Tbtf?

Will do, i just have ableton live and an akai mpd26 and some krk rockit monitors for now. I thought i would keep my setup simple and get more beats under my belt before going off and buying a ton of gear.

That redo sounds way better dude. I know a lot cats make purposefully choppy beats but its never really been my thing. Good stuff.

Thanks man, at first I was trying to flip the sample so it sounded nothing like the original. I think by over complicating the chops i ended up with a less musical sounding piece and jumpy as dan and steve mentioned.

• Like 1

Cool.

Will do, i just have ableton live and an akai mpd26 and some krk rockit monitors for now. I thought i would keep my setup simple and get more beats under my belt before going off and buying a ton of gear.

That redo sounds way better dude. I know a lot cats make purposefully choppy beats but its never really been my thing. Good stuff.

Thanks man, at first I was trying to flip the sample so it sounded nothing like the original. I think by over complicating the chops i ended up with a less musical sounding piece and jumpy as dan and steve mentioned.

That's an honorable intention but I would be careful about letting that get in your way. I've seen lots of producers get twisted up trying to "flip shit beyond recognition" or ditch sampling all together on the premise that its not as good as choosing your own notes and making your own melodies, patterns, etc. Those guys fall off a lot of times. When you ask them who their favorite producers are its like "Pete Rock, Marly Marl, Rza, etc.", who all did plenty of strait up loop lifting. If what Pete Rock was doing was so "easy" then everybody would have their own TROY. So many people talk about chopping and flipping these days but some of the best tracks were more about combining sound x with sound y and z to make something that sounds like it was always meant to be. Fact is, going crazy on the chops is not better or worse than looping, it's just different. Ditching sampling all together isn't "better" it's just different, and there are disadvantages that go along with the advantages. So, my advice is to not worry too much with impressing the "heads" and focus most on making music.

• Like 2

Cool.

That's an honorable intention but I would be careful about letting that get in your way. I've seen lots of producers get twisted up trying to "flip shit beyond recognition" or ditch sampling all together on the premise that its not as good as choosing your own notes and making your own melodies, patterns, etc. Those guys fall off a lot of times. When you ask them who their favorite producers are its like "Pete Rock, Marly Marl, Rza, etc.", who all did plenty of strait up loop lifting. If what Pete Rock was doing was so "easy" then everybody would have their own TROY. So many people talk about chopping and flipping these days but some of the best tracks were more about combining sound x with sound y and z to make something that sounds like it was always meant to be. Fact is, going crazy on the chops is not better or worse than looping, it's just different. Ditching sampling all together isn't "better" it's just different, and there are disadvantages that go along with the advantages. So, my advice is to not worry too much with impressing the "heads" and focus most on making music.

Such solid advice man, i think you perfectly summed up what i learned from this entire thread and feedback!

just listened, dope man, the slightly swingy version is nicer i think.

Thanks for the feedback sym!

And i finished the track, think i am pretty satisfied with the final result here it is

• Like 3