Tidying up the right-click "New" menu in Windows 7

Steve

In Windows 7, you can right click on a blank space on the desktop or in a folder and choose New, then you can choose from various items. As you install software, this menu can get filled with items that you don't want. Here's how to tidy it up.

These instructions may work in other version of Windows, but try it at your own risk. Also, follow the instructions carefully as this involves editing the registry.

Here's my right-click menu after installing Photoshop: -

new1.jpg

I don't need that Photoshop image option in the New menu, so here's how to remove it.

First, click on the option in the menu that you want to remove, so it'll create the new file. In this case, clicking on it will create a new Photoshop image: -

new2.jpg

Once you've done that, check the file extension of the item, in this case it's .psd.

Now go to the start menu and type "regedit" without quotes into the search box and hit Enter. The registry editor will open. Hit the little triangle symbol to the left of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to expand it. Now look down the list for the file extension, in this case it's .psd. Once you've found it, click the little triangle next to it to expand it and you should see a sub-folder called ShellNew: -

new3.jpg

Right-click on the ShellNew folder - and only on that folder - and delete it, then exit the registry editor. You'll see the effects immediately, so in my example, the new Photoshop image option is now gone from the New menu: -

new4.jpg

• 9 months later...

Yeah, that piece of software makes it dead easy. Funnily enough, the one thing I can't get rid of permanently is the "Adobe Photoshop Image 55" entry in the first pic in post 1 of this thread, as every time you open Photoshop it replaces the registry entry. It's still handy though, cos I only have that and new folder, rather than 15+ entries that I would never use.